Wet cleaning brush

twitch54

Re: Wet cleaning brush
« Reply #20 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:29 pm »
If you want to put static on your vinyl, then use a dry brush. Remember that frictions creates static electricity? A damp brush neutralizes static charges and it also acts as a bonding agent to pick up particles.

Wayner.....I'll respectfully disagree.......IMO the best 'dry' brush ever created and extremely effective was the CA 2+2, for it combines a metal handled (static discharge capable)  device supporting both carbon fibre and a chamois material. The wooden discwasher brush can not do that, thus it must be done wet.........for the record why do you think they marketed so well their static gun to go along with it !

I've attached a few pics for reference.........

twitch54

« Reply #21 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:58 pm »
I've attached a few pics for reference.........

I don't know.....for some reason I can't seem to upload the pics, they are attached in my 'gallery' if you care to look.

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:13 pm »
For the hell of it, I have spent the last hour looking at an old dirty record with a jewelers loupe. Very interesting.

During this time I also decided to clean the record with some scotch tape. You know, like you'd use the sticky side to pick up some lint on a sports jacket.

Well, the damn tape cleaned the record better then my discwasher brush. If I was at it a bit more, it would be really clean. The sticky of the tape can't get down into the grooves, but can adhere to any particles lodged in the groove.

Perhaps that "lint roller" thing from Music Direct may be worth a look into.

If I can figure out how to hold and take pictures with my camera, I'll try to post some photos.

Wayner

Quiet Earth

« Reply #23 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:55 pm »

Do you mean this one? http://www.musicdirect.com/p-9662-in-the-groove-record-cleaner.aspx

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:58 pm »
Quietearth,

That is the one Chris at Music Direct recommended to me.

andyr

« Reply #25 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm »

During this time I also decided to clean the record with some scotch tape. You know, like you'd use the sticky side to pick up some lint on a sports jacket.

Well, the damn tape cleaned the record better then my discwasher brush. If I was at it a bit more, it would be really clean. The sticky of the tape can't get down into the grooves, but can adhere to any particles lodged in the groove.

Wayner

But the point is, Wayner, the stylus never 'sees' the dust particles on the surface of the LP - it contacts the dust particles which are in the grooves.

Hence IMO the sticky tape and the MD 'lint roller' are pretty pointless methods to clean an LP.  You need something which will get down into the groove.

Regards,

Andy

vinyl_lady

« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm »
Hence IMO the sticky tape and the MD 'lint roller' are pretty pointless methods to clean an LP. 

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

This is not true. The In the Groove roller does a great job of getting the dust out of the grooves. I listened to records cleaned with one at Woodsyi 's house and they were dead quiet. The In the Groove roller is made of a material that does get down into the grooves and cleans the dust particles and what else might be lurking down there.

Laura

andyr

« Reply #27 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:49 pm »
Andy,

This is not true. The In the Groove roller does a great job of getting the dust out of the grooves. I listened to records cleaned with one at Woodsyi 's house and they were dead quiet. The In the Groove roller is made of a material that does get down into the grooves and cleans the dust particles and what else might be lurking down there.

Laura

Thank you Laura, for that info.  The 'In the Groove' roller is obviously more appropriate than some sticky tape.  However, I'll stick with my Nitty Gritty, followed by a wipe before and after each side with a CF brush (which never picks up any dust!  :) )

Regards,

Andy

vinyl_lady

« Reply #28 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:21 pm »
Thank you Laura, for that info.  The 'In the Groove' roller is obviously more appropriate than some sticky tape.  However, I'll stick with my Nitty Gritty, followed by a wipe before and after each side with a CF brush (which never picks up any dust!  :) )

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I agree with you that it is more appropriate than sticky tape. I ordered one to try instead of my AudioQuest carbon fiber brush which I use before each play (after the record has been cleaned on my Loricraft). I have found that there can be some dust, mainly on the surface, of previously cleaned records.

Happy listening,

Laura

Quiet Earth

« Reply #29 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:11 am »
Let us know if the blue roller leaves any sort of residue on your records Laura.  Thanks for testing it out for us!

dlaloum

« Reply #30 on: 6 Oct 2011, 02:10 am »
I agree with you that it is more appropriate than sticky tape. I ordered one to try instead of my AudioQuest carbon fiber brush which I use before each play (after the record has been cleaned on my Loricraft). I have found that there can be some dust, mainly on the surface, of previously cleaned records.

My two bits:

I find that stuff deep in the groove is not removeable with standard wet/dry cleaning (at least not easily) - regardless of the method or materials used....

So each "new" record (whether new or used) gets a run through
1) Knosti machine cleaning bath scrub (DIY solution)
2) Knosti machine rinsing bath scrub (pure water)
3) AIVS 20min Enzyme soak, scrub (Osage brush) and RCM clean (for each side)
4) Pure Water Rinse & Scrub - RCM clean
5) RCM/AIVS clean & Scrub - RCM Clean
6) Pure Water Rinse & Scrub with final cleaning brush - RCM Clean
7) Last preservative treatment

After the above routine, I find that the only thing that needs cleaning is surface dust.... for wish the Discwasher brush (either slightly damp or dry) works far more effectively in my experience than any CF brush I have tried.
I have also tried the CF/Velvet combo brushes (various materials in the center "velvet" section) - but have found the curved Discwasher to be more convenient and effective.

Before playing a side, it gets the quick once over with the Discwasher brush and then it is good to go - I rarely have anything deep in the groove- and on the exceptional circumstance where something is left there, I moisten the Discwasher a little more (or moisten the record surface with 5 or 6 drops of water) - and the Discwasher brush then gets it clean....
The Discwasher gets groomed after each record wipe down, with its own little brush keeping it clean in turn.

If the target is surface dust/lint/hair - Discwasher is the thing.... (for me)

I also remember trying the sticky rollers years ago (20+?) but found that over time they got less effective and were more awkward to clean - If I recall correctly you needed to wash them with warm water every so often.... if not done regularly enough you end up grinding stuff into the groove.
I find the Discwasher brush/little brush grooming - easier and more convenient.

bye for now

David
proselytizing discwasher brushes... sad isn't it?

Wayner

« Reply #31 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:07 pm »
But the point is, Wayner, the stylus never 'sees' the dust particles on the surface of the LP - it contacts the dust particles which are in the grooves.

Hence IMO the sticky tape and the MD 'lint roller' are pretty pointless methods to clean an LP.  You need something which will get down into the groove.

Regards,

Andy

If you look at the actual record grooves with a jeweler's loupe, you will notice all sorts of stuff. The one thing in particular is that much of the debris in the grooves appear to be chunks of something and it also appears to stick out of the groove. The tape actually grabbed it and pulled it out of the groove. It also took the stuff off of the flat area, perhaps beneficial, keeping that stuff from getting into the grooves as well.

I think we are dealing with several kinds of contamination on/in the record grooves. The obvious things look like lint. There are other particles that may be dead skin cells and other things that look like something "growing" in the grooves.

This, to me, certainly confirms my approach to record cleaning and maintenance in that they are 2 separate processes with different missions. It's quite obvious that some of the groove material can't be mechanically removed from the groove as it may be a mold or mildew component. Therefore, it must be "chemically" removed. This is perhaps where RCMs or other first time, deep cleaning methods come in.

Dry, damp or wet brushing (before playing) is maintenance cleaning.

Again, I'm going to try to take some pictures of some dirty grooves today and will post them.

Wayner

vinyl_lady

« Reply #32 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:12 pm »
Wayner,

what is the magnifying power of your jeweler's loupe?

Thanks

Laura

Wayner

« Reply #33 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:47 pm »
30X

Wayner

vinyl_lady

« Reply #34 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:51 pm »

Wayner

« Reply #35 on: 6 Oct 2011, 07:08 pm »
I was discussing this thread with the wife, and out she comes with a 3M lint brush. Works fantastic! Roll it over the record, it sticks like a madman and all the debris is gone!

Wayner  8)

BobM

« Reply #36 on: 6 Oct 2011, 07:19 pm »
Any goo/glue leftover after the cleaning with the regular lint roller? Those can be very sticky, so I would be afraid of some of that goo coming off into the record surface (surface possibly, but not in the groove).

You will have to tear off the top layer of paper every once in a while to keep it from contaminating another record surface. The one on Music Direct can be rinsed between sides and reused. Just a thought. May be more economical for the MD version in the long run, only $19 (right, like that is an issue for us vinyl phinatics  :dunno:)

twitch54

« Reply #37 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:02 pm »
I was discussing this thread with the wife, and out she comes with a 3M lint brush. Works fantastic! Roll it over the record, it sticks like a madman and all the debris is gone!

Interesting Wayner, I'm assuming after you did that and examined with your jewlers loop there was no residue from the roller left behind.......

Wayner

« Reply #38 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:43 pm »
Can't feel any residue, but that's not saying there isn't. I need some more time to fool around with this stuff before making a firm statement. It does make the LP look pretty, but that doesn't automatically translate to sounding good.

There are just too many types of "junk" on the LP for one cleaning method to solve. The sticky roller gets rid of the lint and dust, that is for sure, and it may take out some of the crap in the grooves, but right now I can tell it doesn't do it all, and it has a PITA operation to it. Must has a spot to work on it (not on the table platter), like on a soft towel, then the trick is to not get your fingerprints all over, so just hold it by the label when using the lint roller.

I tried to get some good pictures, but I just can't focus on the jeweler's loupe good enough to get a clear shot, sorry.

Wayner

xsb7244

« Reply #39 on: 7 Oct 2011, 01:07 am »
The Decca 2+2 brush is not available.  My mind is made up, final answer, I will buy the Osage brush.  For the
dry I will buy an art brush.