What kinda Music would you opt out for?

Deftone

What kinda Music would you opt out for?
« on: 8 Sep 2011, 01:18 pm »
If You could take Away one genre of music, what would it be?

Hip Hop/Rap for me.

lanchile

Re: What kinda Music would you opt out for?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2011, 01:46 pm »
if opera counts...I would take it out!!!!

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:00 pm »
Smooth Jazz.  It's an insult to the real thing, a divine art form.

modad1

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:17 pm »
None.  All music that exists is a pleasure to someone.

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:47 pm »
Hip Hop/Rap/........Actually I don't consider it music at all......so for me it was never (IN).

I agree smooth Jazz is a watered down version of the real deal.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:08 pm »

Bad music. And it exists in all genres. As does good music.
Listen without prejudice.
And remember that if a particular genre doesn't appeal to you, it may appeal to others - we don't need to disrespect each other like a bunch of fourteen- year olds arguing over who's fave band is the coolest/loudest/rockin'-est etc.

D.D.

1oldguy

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:30 pm »
Bad music. And it exists in all genres. As does good music.
Listen without prejudice.
And remember that if a particular genre doesn't appeal to you, it may appeal to others - we don't need to disrespect each other like a bunch of fourteen- year olds arguing over who's fave band is the coolest/loudest/rockin'-est etc.

D.D.

You know I agree with you.While I don't hide that Rap and hip hop is terrible ...To others it may just be the best thing since sliced bread.
So for those who like it....Great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMfN0UFqms

Diamond Dog

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:48 pm »

Sure - I listen to hip hop, jazz, rap, metal, classical, country, blues,prog, name it. Yesterday I was diggin' Tosca. Day before it was Rage Against The Machine and Frank Sinatra. What I would opt out of in a New York minute is music that just product, the artistic equivalent of Wonder Bread. There are some truly pathetic and laughable performers working in any given genre at any given time - thus has it ever been. Conversely there are also some wonderful artists working in those genres. Gotta separate the wheat from the chaff.
Did you finally beat back that flu, oldguy?

D.D.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2011, 04:38 pm »
Rap and hip hop. That's not music at all, just some mindless random chatter and the noise to fill up the gap. 

I'd rather hear some power drill and jet hammer, chainsaw some wood to pieces, burn a rat, shoot some honeybadgers, fight a big vicious killer snake , hypnosis myself so i belive i'm an old dog and chase some wild cats to death, and then pedal my goose boat to the center of amazon jungle and hear a zillion bugs squeaking. That'd be far more relaxing.  :icon_lol:

neekomax

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2011, 04:43 pm »
Wow, amblin, that's some rap/hip hop-avoiding adventure that you hypothetically went on :lol:. I think PETA would be bummed on all that animal killing/burning. 

As much as I agree with D.D. in principle...

I've not yet heard smooth jazz that did anything for me other than make me giggle a bit.

But I know that awesome bit of smooth jazz is out there, somewhere, waiting to blow my mind  :icon_lol:.

Every genre that I've made the least effort to explore has turned up at least something that I like.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:18 pm »
Ptfff no, no PETA, at least not in the middle of Amazon, i'm ready to be eaten by crocs, i'm very determined  :green:. They weren't .  :nono:
---
While some music may not feature the same degree of sophistication than others, but they can still be very enjoyable, and may well be a form of art as well.

For example, Jazz can feature alot of musical improvisations, it's like an impressionism painting, a form of art. While Rap and hip hop can feature a lot of random things aswell, but that's rather like throwing a television into the pond downstairs and of course, one can still admire how wildly the tele rotated and how big the splash was. But, that's quite pointless. Can be fun, but still quite pointless.

Edit: p,s :Don't worry for the honeybadgers, i'm much better with a shovel than guns. While i was a crazy 22yr old, i once fired more than a dozen 12gauge shots at a flock of domestic ducks until i finally realize i was too far away.
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2011, 02:05 am by amblin »

neekomax

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:29 pm »
Ptfff no, no PETA, at least not in the middle of Amazon, i'm ready to be eaten by crocs, i'm very determined  :green:. They weren't .  :nono:
---
While some music may not feature the same degree of sophistication than others, but they can still be very enjoyable, and may well be a form of art as well.

For example, Jazz can feature alot of musical improvisations, it's like an impressionism painting, a form of art. While Rap and hip hop can feature a lot of random things aswell, but that's rather like throwing a television into the pond downstairs and of course, one can still admire how wildly the tele rotated and how big the splash was. But, that's quite pointless.

I'm a jazz fan as well. The smooth jazz I've heard is like elevator music to me, though. A little too smooth  :sleep:.

Hip hop/rap is also an art form, albeit one to which you may not relate.

I heard an interesting NPR piece the other day about modern Chinese opera. Now, that's a genre that is quite a challenge for Western listeners to appreciate. Does that mean it's 'pointless'? 

1oldguy

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:17 pm »
Sure - I listen to hip hop, jazz, rap, metal, classical, country, blues,prog, name it. Yesterday I was diggin' Tosca. Day before it was Rage Against The Machine and Frank Sinatra. What I would opt out of in a New York minute is music that just product, the artistic equivalent of Wonder Bread. There are some truly pathetic and laughable performers working in any given genre at any given time - thus has it ever been. Conversely there are also some wonderful artists working in those genres. Gotta separate the wheat from the chaff.
Did you finally beat back that flu, oldguy?

D.D.

Still have it...It just doesn't want to leave. :( :oops:
Comes with getting old lol. :thumb:
I am hoping to be younger than I am this time next year.

1oldguy

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:18 pm »
---

For example, Jazz can feature alot of musical improvisations, it's like an impressionism painting, a form of art. While Rap and hip hop can feature a lot of random things aswell, but that's rather like throwing a television into the pond downstairs and of course, one can still admire how wildly the tele rotated and how big the splash was. But, that's quite pointless.

Edit: p,s :Don't worry for the honeybadgers, i'm much better with a shovel than guns. While i was a crazy 22yr old, i once fired more than a dozen 12gauge shots at a flock of domestic ducks until i finally realize i was too far away.

I like your style....... :thumb:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:25 pm »
If anything this thread proves that "different strokes for different folks" is still true.
There are several genre's I don't listen to....rap being among them (used to) but the thing that has me reaching for the off button fast these days is for lack of a better term "modern jazz"...highly improvisational, mostly atonal sound that is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  My wife feels that way about most Russian classical  :D

Hibuck......

chrisby

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:29 pm »

D.D.

bingo! 

neekomax

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:31 pm »
If anything this thread proves that "different strokes for different folks" is still true.
There are several genre's I don't listen to....rap being among them (used to) but the thing that has me reaching for the off button fast these days is for lack of a better term "modern jazz"...highly improvisational, mostly atonal sound that is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  My wife feels that way about most Russian classical  :D

Hibuck......

I believe you are referring to avant garde jazz. Quite challenging, yes.

Modern jazz is often groove based and very melodic, think Medeski Martin and Wood, Brad Mehldau, Gretchen Parlato, John Scofield, etc.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:29 pm »
rap and rap-metal.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:34 pm »
OK...
Let's try this again with clear examples for those who cannot seem to limit their views to a simple civil reply without lurching off into some ill-advised and often ill-informed tirade about something they don't care for for whatever reason and without respect for the views of others  :

OP : What kinda Music would you opt out for?

Socially Acceptable Response  :thumb: example a) - I do not enjoy jazz as much as say, my favorite classical works.

Socially Unacceptable Response :thumbdown: example a)- Jazz is written and performed exclusively by heroin-addicted losers and is only listened to by same, It's nothing but racket and John Coltane is an over-hyped shmuck who could barely play  - blah blah blah...

Another example :
Socially Acceptable Response  :thumb: example b) - I have not acquired a taste for opera. I find my tastes run towards
metal actually... :rock:(optional )

Socially Unacceptable Response  :thumbdown: example b) - Opera? Are you frikkin' kiddin' me, dude? What kind of old-man highbrow crap is THAT? Opera SUCKS!!!
 Metal RUUULES!!! - blah blah blah  :rock: ( optional )

And so on...
It would be nice to think that we could actually have a civil discussion about music in this Circle without disrespecting each other. Whether or not we actually can remains unclear. Perhaps we should just stick to back-slapping each other about how glorious our mutual gear sounds or discussing our preference as to blue LED's vs. green. We seem to have that down pretty good.

D.D. 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:39 pm »
I realize the OP was posed in fun, but it is just another way of soliticing the prejudices of people. It is, therefore, an unsavory kind of fun, and a long way from asking members what they like.

I can't stand rap, or a dozen other kinds of music, but why should I want to "take away" something that others might enjoy? OK, if this is a valid question, then let's ask everyone to give us the kinds of books they would burn. What's next, people?

Not all fun is as innocent as it might seem to be.