What kinda Music would you opt out for?

neekomax

Re: What kinda Music would you opt out for?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:41 pm »
OK...
Let's try this again with clear examples for those who cannot seem to limit their views to a simple civil reply without lurching off into some ill-advised and often ill-informed tirade about something they don't care for for whatever reason and without respect for the views of others  :

OP : What kinda Music would you opt out for?

Socially Acceptable Response  :thumb: example a) - I do not enjoy jazz as much as say, my favorite classical works.

Socially Unacceptable Response :thumbdown: example a)- Jazz is written and performed exclusively by heroin-addicted losers and is only listened to by same, It's nothing but racket and John Coltane is an over-hyped shmuck who could barely play  - blah blah blah...

Another example :
Socially Acceptable Response  :thumb: example b) - I have not acquired a taste for opera. I find my tastes run towards
metal actually... :rock:(optional )

Socially Unacceptable Response  :thumbdown: example b) - Opera? Are you frikkin' kiddin' me, dude? What kind of old-man highbrow crap is THAT? Opera SUCKS!!!
 Metal RUUULES!!! - blah blah blah  :rock: ( optional )

And so on...
It would be nice to think that we could actually have a civil discussion about music in this Circle without disrespecting each other. Whether or not we actually can remains unclear. Perhaps we should just stick to back-slapping each other about how glorious our mutual gear sounds or discussing our preference as to blue LED's vs. green. We seem to have that down pretty good.

D.D.

I dunno, I thought it was going pretty civil-like and such. :dunno:.

But yeah, who in here has got $12 Monster banana plugs? Oh man, the imaging!!! Am I right? Who's with me? Changed my life!!!  :icon_twisted:

Also:

Modern Chinese Opera SUCKS!

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #21 on: 8 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm »
I have a most sheltered life in my dark basement. I do not get out very much except when I go to work and I only do this as I must be able to feed Lady Laundrew, Hector and myself. Having a job removes the risk of slowly starving to death, of which, at this time, frightens me more than interacting with the mob on a daily basis. You can also purchase some neat stuff when you have a job.

I feel I am not qualified to accurately comment on my dislikes of other music genres as most people look at me as somewhat "weird" for what I listen to. C'est la vie.

I am so looking forward to eventually retiring and then I will not have to see the light of day ever again and can finally apply my talents to reclusiveness. Oh, be still my beating heart.

Be well.... 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #22 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:23 pm »
I have a most sheltered life in my dark basement. I do not get out very much except when I go to work and I only do this as I must be able to feed Lady Laundrew, Hector and myself. Having a job removes the risk of slowly starving to death, of which, at this time, frightens me more than interacting with the mob on a daily basis. You can also purchase some neat stuff when you have a job.

I feel I am not qualified to accurately comment on my dislikes of other music genres as most people look at me as somewhat "weird" for what I listen to. C'est la vie.

I am so looking forward to eventually retiring and then I will not have to see the light of day ever again and can finally apply my talents to reclusiveness. Oh, be still my beating heart.

Be well....

Laundrew : For you - enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxBHpYlDOfw

D.D.

Laundrew

« Reply #23 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:33 pm »
Laundrew : For you - enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxBHpYlDOfw

D.D.

Greetings D.D.  :D

That was most enjoyable, thanks for posting  :thumb:

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2011, 01:13 am »

Be well....
Laundrew,How ever you do just make sure to enjoy life and you might already know that I do like Gothic also. Make sure to get the new OPETH :thumb:

nomeans

« Reply #25 on: 9 Sep 2011, 01:42 am »
I wouldn't opt out of any certain genre, but I do believe that any music that is hateful, racist, demeaning to women, or glorifies horrible acts of violence has no place in this world. This type of music does not affect us adults, but it does affect the young ones. I am not a believer of censorship, but there is a line where we as respectful, compassionate human beings need to close the routes to children. Once hate is installed in kids, it's really hard to purge it. 

PRELUDE

« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2011, 01:49 am »
My root genre has been Metal but I always enjoy good music because I like the music and that is the best way to go.I never put a limit for myself for any genre.
I would simply put the music in and if I like it,it will stay on.I would always take the bad ones out.
As I always said,
Enjoy the music :thumb:

1oldguy

« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:07 am »
I wouldn't opt out of any certain genre, but I do believe that any music that is hateful, racist, demeaning to women, or glorifies horrible acts of violence has no place in this world. This type of music does not affect us adults, but it does affect the young ones. I am not a believer of censorship, but there is a line where we as respectful, compassionate human beings need to close the routes to children. Once hate is installed in kids, it's really hard to purge it.

Very well spoken.

95Dyna

« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:23 am »
There seems to be a preponderance of anti-rap/hip hop sentiment.  I don't care for the genre much, probably a generational thing. I do agree there is good and bad in any category.  Are you aware that one of the very first popular rap songs was sung by a blonde haired white woman named Debra Harry.  Remember Blondie's "Rapture" circa 1981?  Before we narrowly define a genre let's remember there is much diversity within each.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:32 am »
I'm a jazz fan as well. The smooth jazz I've heard is like elevator music to me, though. A little too smooth  :sleep:.

Hip hop/rap is also an art form, albeit one to which you may not relate.

I heard an interesting NPR piece the other day about modern Chinese opera. Now, that's a genre that is quite a challenge for Western listeners to appreciate. Does that mean it's 'pointless'?

:green: Interesting that you mentioned modern chinese opera because i happen to be working in China. 'Chinese Opera' is a huge family,spreads into more than 300 different sub categories and tens of thousands of different musical compositions. The sheer number is just staggering.

There are huge disputes on the form form of 'modern' chinese opera in china as well, while some say it's the fresh blood to a centries old genre (more than 2000yrs old), some others say it's an insult. Not sure how to explain this, Mmm, remember that young genius violin player David Garrett? Pupil of Itzhak Perlman and the youngest soloist ever to sign an exclusive contract with DG. He once dissappeared from the radar for several years, some say he fallen into the grasp of drugs but anyways,  when he re-appeared,  his CD was on the 'pops' shelf and the cover is a topless photo of him standing there carrying his violin over the shoulder.  Yes, like that. Can't say it's bad, but it's still quite weird. 

Laundrew

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2011, 08:11 pm »
Laundrew,How ever you do just make sure to enjoy life and you might already know that I do like Gothic also. Make sure to get the new OPETH :thumb:

Greetings PRELUDE  :D

Did not know Opeth had a new CD out, must definitely place it on the buy list  :thumb:

Be well...

RLL1

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:30 pm »

Be well....

Hey Laundrew, I'm living your dream. I retired July 1st and now spend most of my time in the basement listening to music. I even sleep in the spare bedroom which is off of the listening room. Enjoy the journey, your time will come soon enough  :thumb:

Rick

headshrinker2

« Reply #32 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:39 pm »
DD,
An interesting reply indeed.  While you make your point well, I couldn't help but resonate to your comment about the amount of "back slapping about how glorious our mutual gear sound".   I have been thinking a very similar thought for a while. 

I love reading all kinds of posts, but I'm particularly interested in threads/ideas that might lead to more satisfying music or increased audio performance. 

Anything that brings me closer to the music....  :thumb:

OK...
Let's try this again with clear examples for those who cannot seem to limit their views to a simple civil reply without lurching off into some ill-advised and often ill-informed tirade about something they don't care for for whatever reason and without respect for the views of others  :

OP : What kinda Music would you opt out for?

Socially Acceptable Response  :thumb: example a) - I do not enjoy jazz as much as say, my favorite classical works.

Socially Unacceptable Response :thumbdown: example a)- Jazz is written and performed exclusively by heroin-addicted losers and is only listened to by same, It's nothing but racket and John Coltane is an over-hyped shmuck who could barely play  - blah blah blah...

Another example :
Socially Acceptable Response  :thumb: example b) - I have not acquired a taste for opera. I find my tastes run towards
metal actually... :rock:(optional )

Socially Unacceptable Response  :thumbdown: example b) - Opera? Are you frikkin' kiddin' me, dude? What kind of old-man highbrow crap is THAT? Opera SUCKS!!!
 Metal RUUULES!!! - blah blah blah  :rock: ( optional )

And so on...
It would be nice to think that we could actually have a civil discussion about music in this Circle without disrespecting each other. Whether or not we actually can remains unclear. Perhaps we should just stick to back-slapping each other about how glorious our mutual gear sounds or discussing our preference as to blue LED's vs. green. We seem to have that down pretty good.

D.D.

gaderson

« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:08 am »
Wait only one? I need two: Country AND Western :lol:

Now once that's done I'd also say Rock (how many lame retro garage bands can there be?) is a genre I could do without. Now for the good:  Hip-hop, Trip-hop, soul-jazz (think 60s-70s Blue Note), and the more fun classical (Ives, Bartôk, Stravinsky, etc), but, mostly you just need the Tshirt;):

Which all people who see me wear it find it quite amusing.

(with edit, use Neekomax I was a little stream-of-consciousness.)
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2011, 01:30 am by gaderson »

neekomax

« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:18 am »
Now good Hip-hop, Trip-hop, soul-jazz (think 60s-70s Blue Note), and the more fun classical (Ives, Bartôk, Stravinsky, etc)

Not quite sure I followed this part of your post. Is that a list of stuff you DO like, stuff you don't, or stuff you USED TO like?

TIA

gaderson

« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:28 am »
Not quite sure I followed this part of your post. Is that a list of stuff you DO like, stuff you don't, or stuff you USED TO like?

TIA

Well, I must admit the shirt is especially ironic as I'm the one who braudens everyones musical tastes, the above is stuff I do like and get others to like.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #36 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:15 am »
As I approach 50, I'm still not a fan of hip-hop or rap. 

I do have some hip-hop and rap artists, but it's on those late 90's early 2000's Santana releases, which I really enjoy.  I wish those albums weren't mixed as hot as they are, but I like the capability of his band. 

I'm not a big opera fan.  Although, the best concert event I've ever attended was when Beverly Sills performed with the Symphony that I'm a member of during her last year of touring.   Ms Sills was gracious and just a phenomenal artist and a genuinely nice woman.

HsvHeelFan

Laundrew

« Reply #37 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:28 pm »
I am not very familiar with opera, would this be considered opera?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MR6D7tL38U

This is most definitely one of my most favourite performances in this movie - truly beautiful.

Be well...

Eric

« Reply #38 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:49 pm »
Polkas

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #39 on: 12 Sep 2011, 06:00 pm »
The longest, most torturous, gig I ever did was based around Polkas.

I was contracted to play Tuba for an Oktoberfest band.   Well, the contractor wasn't completely honest about the deal.

The band ended up playing from 6 pm to 2 am with only a 5 minute break every hour.  It's the only that I've ever blistered up from playing.  I usually have chops of steel, but that night made hamburger out of them.

The next year, I was offered the same gig and I declined.

HsvHeelFan