Input from Bryston 9BSST users on heat dissipation?

john1970

Dear 9B SST users,

I am planning on purchasing a 5 channel Byrston 9BSST2 for amplification use on my center and two rear channels in my HT system.  I will be placing the amp into an opening on my stereo cabinet that is 10" H x 22.5" W x 18" D.  The opening is closed on both sides, but open to the back and the front doors are open when in use.  My rear speakers are Polk TC60i (8 ohm, 90 dB efficiency) while my center channel is 4 ohm at 85 dB efficiency.  I sit 8 ft. from my center channel and listen to movies at reasonable levels (~85 dB).

Should I be concerned with overheating / venelation issues? 

Please advise and thank you for your time,

John

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: Input from Bryston 9BSST users on heat dissipation?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2011, 10:20 am »
I don't think you have anything to worry about. As long as there is some airflow possible (which also allows for some cool/fresh air to reach the amp) there is no problem.
You can always add a small fan somewhere at the back, which switches on when the temperature reaches a certain level. Something like this:

http://www.rackfans.com/modules.php?name=ProCooL_SXT

SoundGame

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm »
I don't think you have anything to worry about. As long as there is some airflow possible (which also allows for some cool/fresh air to reach the amp) there is no problem.
You can always add a small fan somewhere at the back, which switches on when the temperature reaches a certain level. Something like this:

I HATE fans....just unwanted noise on those quiet parts of a movie but if you gotta you gotta do it.  Look at all other options before adding a fan unless the amp will be well out of your hearing range.

larevoj

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:20 pm »

I have ever tried wired up both DC and AC fans thermostat controlled to cool my system housed in a wood cabinet. I would NEVER suggest to have fans because of noise. If you really must have a fan I would suggest DC powered less noise to the power lines but make sure its a fan with the right bearings and fan types to minimise audible noise - I have sourced mine from ebmpapst.

Still you will have noise...that is why I have removed all fans. Simply cool by convection meaning have sufficient holes in the cabinet and let air pass through from bottom up - that I felt is the most cost effective and both environmentally and musically friendly  :)

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:32 pm »
I ran a 9BSSt2 for a few months in an enclosed cabinet that also housed an AVR and a HTPC - both of which produced lots of heat.

The amp first drove 5 Martin Logan Electrostatics (Vista/Stage/Summit X) and then 5 Thiel MSC1.
All speakers (except the Stage) were 4ohm.

Never any overheating issues.

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:36 pm »

I use the Antec cooler.  No noise from far field listening.

http://store.antec.com/Category/cooling.aspx

larevoj

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:37 pm »
Btw, I need to add that the fans I built was for my old Quad 909!  :) Yes, I actually measure with a temperature gauge and it can go up to 113F in the cabinet if not ventilated. Any problem?? Nope...as Bryston I have it on a rack so plenty of room for it to breath  :)

JeffO

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2011, 03:20 pm »
I ran my 9B in a stereo cabinet similar to yours for a couple of years and never had an over heating problem as long as I kept the door open when in use.  With the door closed I would have problems with the Bell satellite reciever but the amp was always fine even when driving all 5 speakers relatively loud. 

Jeff

larevoj

lanchile

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm »
I HATE fans....just unwanted noise on those quiet parts of a movie but if you gotta you gotta do it.  Look at all other options before adding a fan unless the amp will be well out of your hearing range.

I second that!. Beside noise, it will accumulate MORE dust for sure. a good amp design will never need a fan to cool off.

BrysTony

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2011, 06:07 pm »

a good amp design will never need a fan to cool off.

I disagree -- heat is the enemy of all electronics.  A good amp design requires a minimum installation space and air flow for convection cooling.  That minimum requirement is usually specified by the manufacturer and if it cannot be met fans should be used. The good fans as suggested by Anonamemouse will not be heard.

Here is what Bryston has to say in the 4BSST2 manual:

"Ventilation. The most important installation consideration is ventilation. All SST amplifiers are convection cooled. Unrestricted air-flow across its heat sinks is a must. For this reason do not install anything directly above it. Allow 3.5’ (2u) to 5” (3u) inches of space above and to the sides of this amplifier. Do not install directly above other heat generating equipment. Should your instillation conditions be constricted, then additional forced air-cooling may be necessary. Bryston can provide an optional fan package if required. Any SST channels thermally shutting down during operation indicates insufficient air flow, and a remedy must be found for cooling the amplifier. Provide a minimum 6” space to the rear of the amplifier for ventilation and dressing cables to and from the amplifier."

Besides fans are cool  :lol:

Tony

brucek

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2011, 06:48 pm »
Quote from: BrysTony
I disagree -- heat is the enemy of all electronics.  A good amp design requires a minimum installation space and air flow for convection cooling.  That minimum requirement is usually specified by the manufacturer and if it cannot be met fans should be used.

Yeah, agreed.

You can easily get fans that are silent and move enough air to keep your electronics cool in an enclosed space. Computer stores are the best place to look.

My Bell PVR was cooking (they run terribly hot) and so I bought a 140mm DC computer fan (and used a simple 12 volt wall transformer to run it). It uses 0.08 watts (so it's free to operate) and produces 9.6 dba noise. That's less than a whisper. You simply can't hear it from any distance.

brucek

lanchile

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2011, 07:11 pm »
I have build many diy amps from Diyaudio.com ( I am a member there) and I never needed a fan to cool off my amps, I even build some from Nelson Pass and they are class A (run hotter than class A/B) and no fan!. with "normal" open space a good amp with big enough heat sinks will not need a fan to cool off. Even the quiets fan produce noise and they add dust to components inside amps too!

brucek

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:11 pm »
Quote from: lanchile
...with "normal" open space a good amp with big enough heat sinks will not need a fan to cool off.

Ahh, there's the rub.

There isn't a "good" amp in the world that can survive a closed environment. The heat builds up and it just ain't good for electronics to run hot all the time.

Sometimes a fan is unfortunately necessary, and there are lots of them that run silent.

brucek

john1970

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm »
Thank you to everyone for their advice.  Anonamemouse thank for your suggestion.  I might install one just to be on the safe side 9 dB from 12 ft away should barely be audible. They even sell a model that is 12 dB without a thermostat for $80! 

Thank you again,

John

lanchile

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jul 2011, 12:00 am »
Ahh, there's the rub.

There isn't a "good" amp in the world that can survive a closed environment. The heat builds up and it just ain't good for electronics to run hot all the time.

Sometimes a fan is unfortunately necessary, and there are lots of them that run silent.

brucek

I can build you one!!! :duh:

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:09 am »
A friend of mine has a 9BSST with about the same clearance (no front door and open in the back) and drives a pair of Thiel 2.4s, a Thiel SCS3 center and has a couple of Vienna Acoustic Waltzes in the rears.  About the same distance from the speakers too,  The 2.4s are probably a couple of dB more sensitive.  Never had a problem listening to movies or music with it that way.  He has a townhouse and the system is in the basement level in the back of the house (the level at which you walk in).  I have seen an amp channel shut down a few times when he is upstairs in the kitchen on the next level and driving them very loud (2-channel listening).  So I'd guess it depends on your listening habits and how difficult a 4 ohm load you have.

BrysTony

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2011, 09:44 pm »
I keep my system and myself in air conditioned space.  I think I need a vacation!!
Tony

john1970

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2011, 02:24 pm »
Just a quick update.  Next week I am going to purchase a ProCool SX380-920 for ~$100.  At 60 CFM @ 13.3 dB it is the best solution I have found.  Frankly, I am not too worried with 4.25" top clearance, 3" on a side, and open at the front and back.  However, $100 is inexpensive insurance.

Best,
John

SoundGame

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2011, 08:00 pm »
Interestingly enough - I came across this review in Stereophile, where the footnote made specific mention of the impact of heat on capacitor life.  It states the following: "Footnote 1: Each time a filter capacitor's temperature is lowered by 5 degrees C, its operating life is doubled."

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/725

Good reason I guess for keeping your amp cool.