Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus
« on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:38 pm »
Hi guys,

We are coming out with an upgraded version of the original MiniMax DAC.
Here are some of the specifications.

1. Sabre ES9018 DAC chip
2. A Sync USB 24/192
3. Dual power transformers separate digital and analog
4. improved tube output stage
5. improved PSU
6. improved signal input section with high frequency relays/resistors module
7. Tube/SS outputs selectable
8. Socketed output opamps
9. improved S/N level

No volume control.

Price will be $1100
 Pre-order introductory price will be $998 for the first 100 DAC's.

Specification:
Frequency Response : 10Hz – 40KHz
Sampling rates : 16-32bit  32KHz - 192KHz
Dynamic Range : 135dB
Digital Input Impedance : 75 ohm
Output Impedance : Tube 3K
                     Solid State 200 ohm
Output Voltage : Tube      2.5V +- 0.5dB
                 Solid State 2.5V +-0.5dB
S/N ratio : Tube     105dB
           Solid Sate 120dB
THD : 0.2%(Tube)    0.02%(Solid State)
Dynamic Range : 129dB
Power Consumption : 14W
Main Voltage : 120V, 230V, 240V switchable
G.W. : 5.6kgs
N.W. : 4.1kgs

Alex has had the prototype floating around to his buddies in HK with Vincent who runs Vintage Sounds in HK and Tim/president of the Hong Kong Audio Tube Club and they have given Alex some great feedback regarding the sound now coming out of the DAC. They have been very impressed with this new upgraded version to say the least.

These will be here by September 1st, we are hoping a bit sooner but we are waiting on some parts which will take 4-5 weeks to arrive so we are assembling around what we can and once parts arrive we will be good to go.

Thank you for all your support,
 Kindest Regards,
 Bill O'Connell
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 01:14 am by Bill O'Connell »

ajayrav

Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2011, 04:26 pm »
Looking good, Bill.  Have the Stereo Mojo articles on the Bolder modded DACs come out yet...or are y'all waiting to throw the new super duper DAC into the mix as well?  Knowing Alex's work, this new DAC is bound to be really good.  I'm loving the original DAC with the Bolder mods.  :thumb:

Ajay

NeilT

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:00 pm »
Are you gonna offer a trade in deal? or trade up?

Neil

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:11 pm »
Congrats Bill, and coming on the heels of the MiniMax really shining in StereoMojo's DAC shootout.

Tubeburner

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:44 pm »
Since the USB is A Sync USB 32/192, this DAC will accept high res files direct into usb with no issues, correct?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2011, 07:12 pm »
Since the USB is A Sync USB 32/192, this DAC will accept high res files direct into usb with no issues, correct?

Yes, Alex has tested with a few different computers and files and he tells me everything plays fine going thru the USB with Hi-Rez.

Are you gonna offer a trade in deal? or trade up?

Neil

No trade in  or ups. sorry.They sell really quick on the used market. Usually within the first hour of posting.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2011, 07:15 pm »
Looking good, Bill.  Have the Stereo Mojo articles on the Bolder modded DACs come out yet...or are y'all waiting to throw the new super duper DAC into the mix as well?  Knowing Alex's work, this new DAC is bound to be really good.  I'm loving the original DAC with the Bolder mods.  :thumb:

Ajay

I believe Wayne sent the tour sample to Mike Peshkin at Stereomojo but I haven't seen anything written as of yet.

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2011, 07:40 pm »
Will the DAC Plus look the same/similar to the original Minimax DAC or has it been re-designed?

pics?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2011, 07:58 pm »
Will the DAC Plus look the same/similar to the original Minimax DAC or has it been re-designed?

pics?

The DAC will look the same minus the volume control on the front but it will be a bit bigger in size by a little bit to accommodate the separate transformers and upgraded components inside.

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2011, 09:04 pm »
Sounds good Bill. Hopefully, the new EE DAC sounds much better than Waynes Boulder modified EE DAC.

Sooner or later, we will find out. ;)

Jon L

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2011, 09:55 pm »
Now we're talking  :thumb:

Would love to know what type and degree of "improved tube output stage" we're talking about.

Gopher

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm »
Much better?  Is that what the goal is?  Yikes!

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:02 pm »
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Alex nailed it.

NB

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:08 am »
You just hope it didn't because you will not see your investment back. Ha ha ha.

Much better?  Is that what the goal is?  Yikes!

ramante

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:38 am »
No trade in  or ups. sorry.They sell really quick on the used market. Usually within the first hour of posting.

Well, this may have been true yesterday, but you just changed the game.

I must say, this disappoints me, I feel like the manufacturer has abandoned me.  Why not support your customer base?  Is it all about maximum profit?  Is it too hard to improve the existing units? 

I've seen other companies crash and burn with this kind of business plan.  As you know, success is a fine line.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:47 am »

I must say, this disappoints me, I feel like the manufacturer has abandoned me.  Why not support your customer base?  Is it all about maximum profit?  Is it too hard to improve the existing units? 

I've seen other companies crash and burn with this kind of business plan.  As you know, success is a fine line.

We always try to upgrade our products. This is just a different one. A lot of companies have more than one DAC in their lineup. We upgraded our original MiniMax preamp years ago also, our  MiniMax phono stage also.Now we are doing it to our DAC. The original DAC is still one of the great audio products. We try to move forward with just about all our products.

Gopher

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:48 am »
I don't think thats a very fair statement here.  My understanding from exchanging a few emails with Bill is that the margins were really thin on the Minimax DAC to begin with and further, Bill is the sole US importer not a traditional dealer whom one might expect to take trade ins and such.  EE isn't abandoning the early adopters so much as continuing their development efforts and incorporating the early adopters feedback.

I'm a bit unsettled by the fact that I invested in third party mods which may be on par with what the upcoming stock unit goes for, but its just a part of the game and I won't blame Alex and Bill for that.

Don't forget, irrespective of a 'new, improved' version coming out, you're still holding an exceptionally good DAC in stock form which a recent review pannel found to be only subtly inferior to the level 4 Lampiaztor...   its not like the stock DACs we've all enjoyed will sound any worse.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:50 am »

I disagree.  Yes it uses the ESS Sabre 9018, but the circuit board has changed.  The power supply has also changed.  Some other manufacturers can sometimes upgrade a unit by reusing the chassis and power supply and replacing the main circuit board.  But in this case, the power supply has also changed and it won't fit in the existing chassis!

The new Plus model is 47% more expensive than the old model.  There will still be a good used market for the old model in the ~ $600 price range, as it will be almost half the price of a new Plus.

The ~ $150 "loss" (not entirely a loss because you got some use out of it) incurred by selling yours and buying the Plus is far less money than an upgrade would cost.

Steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:01 am »
With the depreciation of the original EE DACs being so small, owners of the original who want to upgrade will not be out too much money. Not sure I have ever seen on of these DACs stay for sale used for more than a day.

Bill is putting out great products, and is a pleasure to deal with. Let's applaud the products that he provides at the prices he offers.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm »
Hi guys,

We are coming out with an upgraded version of the original MiniMax DAC.
Here are some of the specifications.

1. Sabre ES9018 DAC chip
2. A Sync USB 32/192
3. Dual power transformers separate digital and analog
4. improved tube output stage
5. improved PSU
6. improved signal input section with high frequency relays/resistors module
7. Tube/SS outputs selectable
8. Socketed output opamps
9. improved S/N level

No volume control.

Price will be $1100
 Pre-order introductory price will be $998 for the first 100 DAC's.

Specification:
Frequency Response : 10Hz – 40KHz
Sampling rates : 16-32bit  32KHz - 192KHz
Dynamic Range : 135dB
Digital Input Impedance : 75 ohm
Output Impedance : Tube 3K
                     Solid State 200 ohm
Output Voltage : Tube      2.5V +- 0.5dB
                 Solid State 2.5V +-0.5dB
S/N ratio : Tube     105dB
           Solid Sate 120dB
THD : 0.2%(Tube)    0.02%(Solid State)
Dynamic Range : 129dB
Power Consumption : 14W
Main Voltage : 120V, 230V, 240V switchable
G.W. : 5.6kgs
N.W. : 4.1kgs

Alex has had the prototype floating around to his buddies in HK with Vincent who runs Vintage Sounds in HK and Tim/president of the Hong Kong Audio Tube Club and they have given Alex some great feedback regarding the sound now coming out of the DAC. They have been very impressed with this new upgraded version to say the least.

These will be here by September 1st, we are hoping a bit sooner but we are waiting on some parts which will take 4-5 weeks to arrive so we are assembling around what we can and once parts arrive we will be good to go.

Thank you for all your support,
 Kindest Regards,
 Bill O'Connell
Bill, I sent you an email.

Gary