off topic: equipment racks

Rclark

off topic: equipment racks
« on: 3 May 2011, 07:52 am »

I'm putting together my first hifi and it's frustrating to see that equipment racks cost as much as the system itself, if not more. It's ridiculous. I don't see how a three shelf rack is going to cost 3500, I don't care how heavy it is.

Any suggestions? Am I screwed?

tesseract

Rclark

Re: off topic: equipment racks
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2011, 09:50 am »
thanks!  :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2011, 03:00 pm »
Here is what I'm using http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340

And the result

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2011, 04:22 pm »
have you dampened it? Is that possible? Because that's also a very nice solution.

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2011, 06:08 pm »

Build one a la member toobluvr:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56322.0

Very attractive, and dirt cheap compared to similar commercial offerings.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2011, 06:22 pm »
I bought three 'big box' store type racks i found at a local 'Crazy Eddie' sort of place. They are square tubed and nice. i filled all the tubes with sand, sealed them up, and have a nice tall rack. and two low ones, One for the Video and Plasma, and the second for two TTs and stuff.
They cost me $150 each, then the work of adding the sand.
I have used them 6 years now and am very happy with them.
They do have tempered glass shelves, held in clamps, but I use rubber footers, and no vibration problems.
They are not the usual mass market design, and I can't find them anywhere anymore, but I am certain others ar out there that would be great.
Just keep looking.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2011, 11:45 pm »

I love all the options so far but I can't lie I just got my bed from Ikea and that thing will fit in perfectly. And it's $50. Can I do spikes for my equipment and absorption pads beneath? Would that suffice for absorption?
« Last Edit: 4 May 2011, 05:17 am by Rclark »

HT cOz

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2011, 12:21 am »
I don't see why that would be a problem just make sure the pads protect the surface of the unit.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2011, 12:55 am »
Well then other than I'll have n3s's out set up will be fairly similar. They have some in stock, im gonna try and get out there tomorrow.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2011, 05:09 am »

Anyone else wanna give this the blessing? I will probably listen (just guessing) to music at higher spl levels and I will have a pair of sealed 15's. Nothing ear bleeding, nothing like that.

But do you guys think if I go with the Ikea stand like HTCoz has and then get spikes for all my gear as well as isolator pads, I should be fine, no?

Elizabeth

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2011, 05:24 am »
I have completely abandoned any spikes on my stuff.
Speakers great. But for equipment i use butyl rubber chemical bottle stoppers size 10 exclusively.
Partly because i have glass shelves in my racks, but the bottle stoppers dampen the vibration. and just make my stuff happy.
Spiking rack equipment seems to be disappearing, though hi end shelves are often spiked to the frames.
Amps on stands still get spiked.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2011, 05:26 am »
Thanks for replying Elizabeth!

Where can I order those from and how would I apply them to my gear?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2011, 02:18 pm »
http://www.widgetco.com/10-rubber-stoppers-plugs?gclid=CMPQ0JHnvagCFRG4KgodpVz8BA
is one place.
Amazon sells them, but the pics on Amazon look not so good.
These are a better quality of rubber.
I buy mine locally from an American Science and Surplus. Problem is they do not sell them on the American Science and Surplus website.

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2011, 03:50 pm »
Do you drill through them and screw them in place or is this something you're setting the gear down upon? Apologies for the stupid questions.

Elizabeth

« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2011, 04:14 pm »
Just setting the gear on the rubber bottle stoppers.
i have always been sort of cheap while spending a fortune on gear.
I never could see paying a lot for feet. I have piles of tiptoes and such as they were only about $7 each back in the day, and last forever.
But i found i like the rubber bottle stoppers best.
Tip toes can be a hassle if you flip switches or bump an item. So you have to glue them on. The rubber bottle stoppers are great. they just sit there hold the equipment, keep it from vibrating, absorb all the vibrations.. and last forever. i have some bottlestoppers I bought well over ten years ago still using them. They are handy and useful. I dump extras in a bin, and pull them out when I want them. At a buck or so each. I am in love with them for feet.
(Also i have cheaper racks with tempered glass for shelves, and the rubber stoppers are perfect compliments.

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2011, 05:14 pm »
Ok ok. And I know from your posts how incredibly meticulous you are, so I trust you when you say vibrations are taken care of. But are you removing the feet off your gear first or are you setting them down as is? :)

Elizabeth

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2011, 09:40 pm »
The stock feet stay, and they get placed on the rubber bottle stoppers.
Only on my DAC did I remove the feet, because i wanted it to fit in a space.
I like the added space around my components with the rubber bottle stoppers added.
PS: I am NOT making ANY claims about sonic superiority of these things.
I like them. that's all. I would hate to start some stampede and everyone after they add them and then wonder "'where's the beef?"
I use them because i have glass shelves. and i tried and hate tiptoes because they can come crashing down. And no way am I spending a fortune on some STUPID feet!! 
I hope i have made myself clear.

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2011, 09:57 pm »
Thanks for the specifics. If I can achieve 80% of what I need to for dampening this first big equipment gathering sweep then I will be pleased.

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2011, 10:33 pm »
You have, thanks! But one last thing, what are tiptoes?