Absolute Sound Editors say Dynaco Stereo 70 is most significant amp of all time.

Wayner

In this month's (May/June) 213 issue of Absolute sound, the editors picked the top 10 most influential amps, and the Stereo 70 was the top dog, with a nice mention of Frank's Ultravalve (page 27). I think the Ultravalve is on it's way to becoming one of those same "audio classics".

Wayner

losttouch

In this month's (May/June) 213 issue of Absolute sound, the editors picked the top 10 most influential amps, and the Stereo 70 was the top dog, with a nice mention of Frank's Ultravalve (page 27). I think the Ultravalve is on it's way to becoming one of those same "audio classics".

Wayner
This comes as no suprise to me ive listened to alot amps and i love any products that Hafler was involved with. David Hafler knew how to make an amp transparent and warm with great dampening factors to keep the bass tigh and punchy. im in the middle reviving a 70 and cant wait to kick back with the turntable spinning and listen to music with dimension only those amps can give. that is my amp of choice #2 would be the hafler 9505 a true ss amp that will suprise most tube amp lovers.

TONEPUB

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I didn't really get that from the article, just that it was a favorite of quite a few of them...

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Page 27 listed as number 1.

TONEPUB

Guess I missed that.  As the stereo 70 is a pretty mediocre amplifier, but great sound for the money, I guess the ST70 is significant because it offered so much for so little.  I've certainly enjoyed the ones I've owned over the years.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  And still outperforms many of todays designs. A classic that changed the game. I have yet to hear a Ultravalve amp. Hopefully some day we will.  :thumb:

charles

Wayner

Jeff,

I think it was because of its time frame and the influences it had on other, classic tube amp designs. This was also the pick of 7 editors, 3 had it as number one, 3 editors had it number 2 on their list and one had it 4th down.

I doubt if anyone could have down played the significance of David Hafler's designs over the early years of high fidelity.

Wayner

Brett Buck

Guess I missed that.  As the stereo 70 is a pretty mediocre amplifier, but great sound for the money, I guess the ST70 is significant because it offered so much for so little.  I've certainly enjoyed the ones I've owned over the years.

It was a very sound and reliable design, and an outstanding performer for the time - particularly for the money.

Brett

Freo-1

Hard to argue about the importance of the Dynaco.

I would think that the Williamson design was perhaps one of, if not the most significant amps to forward the audio world. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
If TAS say it, Iam ever more glad I do not subscribe this silly magazine anymore.
Dynaco 70 is not even a Triode amp, seems it is a pentode, it is not even a SET or a OTL amp.

Maybe TAS say this amp is important in a political way, or in a historic way.
I already listen this amp in the 90years, and it is not a Mustang, a Lamborghini or RollsRoyce, it is a Yellow Cab.
Looks this is another pay merchandising for the unlettered musiclover.
Maybe it will be Amp of The Year too??
Regards, Gustavo

TONEPUB

Jeff,

I think it was because of its time frame and the influences it had on other, classic tube amp designs. This was also the pick of 7 editors, 3 had it as number one, 3 editors had it number 2 on their list and one had it 4th down.

I doubt if anyone could have down played the significance of David Hafler's designs over the early years of high fidelity.

Wayner

I'd have to say I'm just as big a fan of David Hafler's SS design's, the DH-101 preamp and the matching SS amp.  Great stuff in it's day and amazing bang for the buck.

Freo-1

Yep, Mr Hafler was a real audio pioneer. 

I'm partial to Nelson Pass designs myself.  The STASIS patent and amplifier lines are some of the best sounding solid state setup ever developed. 

TONEPUB

I would have to agree, especially considering the amount of patents Nelson has...

Brett Buck

If TAS say it, Iam ever more glad I do not subscribe this silly magazine anymore.
Dynaco 70 is not even a Triode amp, seems it is a pentode, it is not even a SET or a OTL amp.

Oy vey! Only SETs are any good? Seriously?

Brett

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
    Oy vey! Only SETs are any good? Seriously?

Brett
Seems the rule/general consensus is that, I do not know all amps, but never heard of one Pentode/PP/UL being better than a Triode, unless the Marantz 8/9 or the Triode is poor made.

Listening to recorded music is a very demanding art, I do not like the sound of Pentode, PP and UltraLinar, but as it is all personal taste in music, the bad for one may be the good for other.
Regards, Gustavo

drphoto

I didn't read the article, but the saying the amp is the most significant of all time is not saying it is the best sounding. I think it is significant because it was the gateway to better audio for many, the first move away from mass market gear. Sure there may have been far better tube amps of the same area (Marantz, McIntosh, etc), but as has been pointed out, the ST-70 was affordable.

Just look at the thread on 'first tube amp' and see how many people here listed it.

Brett Buck

Seems the rule/general consensus is that, I do not know all amps, but never heard of one Pentode/PP/UL being better than a Triode, unless the Marantz 8/9 or the Triode is poor made.

What the heck are you talking about? What rule/consensus - the audioflake press? You probably aren't going to find any electrical engineers, or anyone who can read performance specifications,  who think that. Specs aren't everything but and SET at 10% distortion at 1 watt is a non-starter, and that's about what most of them do.

Brett

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
The Dynaco Stereo 70 sold about almost 100.000 units.Thats why it's the king of amps!Name another amp that can do that...you can't .I'm listening to mine right now,and it's great,remember the word ,significant..It was called the Poor Mans McIntosh..David Hafler made hi-end affordable with Dyna to the common music lovers,other inventors also,but I don't want to bicker,just listen to some tunes....I bet also that 999,998 of those amps are still going strong...Mark Korda

Stercom

They were looking at a lot of variables including most "impact" on high-end audio, changed the market, influenced future designs, introduced new technologies/concepts and established sonic benchmarks. Hard to argue with their list if you were only talking about American audio. From a more worldly and historic view you would have to include amp designs from Sishido, Hiraga, Kondo, etc. Anyway, here is the list.

1. Dynaco ST-170
2. Phase Linear 400/700
3. Audio Research D150
4. McIntosh MC275
5. Mark Levinson ML-2
6. Marantz 8B/9
7. Krell KSA-50/100
8. Threshold 400A/800A
9. NAD 3020
10. Audio Research Ref. 600/610T

rajesh

• Live & Let Live