Absolute Sound Editors say Dynaco Stereo 70 is most significant amp of all time.

Doublej

The most influential amplifier of all time is the ipod but that's too radical a thought for high end purists to fathom.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I know it's a good amp and agree that it is probably the most significant, but the same could be said of a VW Beetle (both were around forever and could win on that basis alone).

I had a Hafler DH-200 that I assembled about 1980.  Sold it during a scale down phase in my life.   :duh:

Brett Buck

The most influential amplifier of all time is the ipod but that's too radical a thought for high end purists to fathom.

Aside from the fact that it's not an amplifier, which seems rather relevant.

Brett

Doublej

Aside from the fact that it's not an amplifier, which seems rather relevant.

Brett

I disagree. It's a headphone amplifier with a built in source. But I guess headphone amplifiers don't count.

Phil A

I thought the list was interesting.  I did not get overly hyped up about the rating.  I did own an ST-70 (probably 25 years back).  It was laying in someone's garage along with a Dynaco preamp and he told me they didn't work so I traded cheap satellite speakers for them.  About a year later I determined the amp needed only a $12.50 tube and the preamp a $0.79 light bulb.  I kept it for a bit and then sold it.  I also did own a Phase Linear 400 when it was a current model.  I was surprised not to see a Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 on the list.  I never owned either but had the Pioneer rack and some of the components of that era that fit in the rack.

martyo

I was surprised not to see a Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 on the list.

They sounded really bad (bright, thin, 2 dimensional)and there was nothing in the design that made them noteworthy. They looked nice, like most of the Pioneer gear. Ampzilla was already out, folks were building good sounding powerful SS amps by then.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
If TAS say it, Iam ever more glad I do not subscribe this silly magazine anymore.
Dynaco 70 is not even a Triode amp, seems it is a pentode, it is not even a SET or a OTL amp.

Maybe TAS say this amp is important in a political way, or in a historic way.
I already listen this amp in the 90years, and it is not a Mustang, a Lamborghini or RollsRoyce, it is a Yellow Cab.
Looks this is another pay merchandising for the unlettered musiclover.
Maybe it will be Amp of The Year too??
Regards, Gustavo

I'm with you on the first part. Not the second part though. It was not about sound quality it was about bang for the buck at the time. I too feel SET and OTLs are the cats meow. Other designs can bring pleasure in playback, no arguement but the soul is MIA.
   The yellow cab gets you there just not as nice a ride as an SET.

charles

Minn Mark

Kudos to the Dynaco 70, and the Ultravalve.

Mark
Stiil a proud owner of an original, operating Halfer DH-200 w/ rackmount faceplate. Sounds good, but nothing compared to my Insight 440H.

Phil A

They sounded really bad (bright, thin, 2 dimensional)and there was nothing in the design that made them noteworthy. They looked nice, like most of the Pioneer gear. Ampzilla was already out, folks were building good sounding powerful SS amps by then.

Then it's a good thing I never bought (never heard them either) them :green: I picked up one of their metal studio racks with some of the rack mount kids kits from a retailer's display for about $90 and it was missing some parts that I got from Pioneer for about $50 and I had about $700 worth of rack and rack mount kits.  Got their cassette deck on close-out which I really liked and had some other non-Pioneer rack mount equipment and was looking at the Pioneer amps when a friend who had the matching Pioneer reel to reel wanted the rack really bad so I traded it with the Pioneer cassette deck for a Nakamichi 680.

martyo

Then it's a good thing I never bought (never heard them either) them :green: I picked up one of their metal studio racks with some of the rack mount kids kits from a retailer's display for about $90 and it was missing some parts that I got from Pioneer for about $50 and I had about $700 worth of rack and rack mount kits.  Got their cassette deck on close-out which I really liked and had some other non-Pioneer rack mount equipment and was looking at the Pioneer amps when a friend who had the matching Pioneer reel to reel wanted the rack really bad so I traded it with the Pioneer cassette deck for a Nakamichi 680.

I think you made a good trade. 8)

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
It would depend on how you define "significant". While the Stereo 70 sold approximately 100,000 units it was not the most listened to amp. The Crown DC300A, while not the best sounding or most widely sold, powered virtually every live, large venue show in the 1970s. Its ruggedness was legendary. Millions upon millions of people enjoyed the fruits of its design whether they knew it or not. Thats pretty significant.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

I'm with you on the first part. Not the second part though. It was not about sound quality it was about bang for the buck at the time. I too feel SET and OTLs are the cats meow. Other designs can bring pleasure in playback, no arguement but the soul is MIA.
   The yellow cab gets you there just not as nice a ride as an SET.

charles
A Yellow Cab amp is a low price amp with a OK sound, certainly there was more yellow cabs amps in the past.

The second place was nicknamed Phuzz Linear, not by the great sound.
The 3º and 10º contenders were assembled with PCB boards for fast building and low cost, and maybe others too.

The 6º contender, Marantz 8/9 are worthing 25K dollars today seems, as a used one, the first place resale value are very low.
This is a unusual contest.

1. Dynaco ST-70
2. Phase Linear 400/700
3. Audio Research D150
4. McIntosh MC275
5. Mark Levinson ML-2
6. Marantz 8B/9
7. Krell KSA-50/100
8. Threshold 400A/800A
9. NAD 3020
10. Audio Research Ref. 600/610T

Tom Alverson

Is it a good or bad influence?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Is it a good or bad influence?
Now you hit the point.  These teenagers will be all deaf in afew years listening heavy metal, hardcore and others crap music styles with these headphones/Ipods...

I doubt these guys listen Jazz/classical music in these Ipods.

festuss

Hafler DH500 leap frogged the Dyna 400, more significant products, sold even more.  Frank's rebuild of the P500 which are even more amp than teh DH500 smokes teh original designs, much better control, and clarity.  I have several P500 AVA Omegastar EX and Insight double die P500's.  I have to admit the first real hi fi was what I heard was a ST-70 back in the 70's and it got me going, I went all Dyna.  The ST-70 sounded better than the McIntosh which cost much more

festuss

The Dyna A-25 speaker from Dave, was is the largest selling speaker of all time sold over 500,000 units, more than anything else, it was a bargain quality product, Hafler knew how to have the right people get stuff done. I also had A-25's Advents etc, the A-25 where good in their day.  Obsolete and dated now.

festuss

ST70 was the largest selling amp of all kind, of any type.  350,000 according to this             http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynaco

Wayner

Here are my modded A25XLs...

Wayner  :D

baumer

Now you hit the point.  These teenagers will be all deaf in afew years listening heavy metal, hardcore and others crap music styles with these headphones/Ipods...

I doubt these guys listen Jazz/classical music in these Ipods.

I agree that many people, not just teenagers, will experience hearing loss due to mp3 players. What I find amazing is the narrow-mindedness of an "audiophile" describing certain types of music as "crap". I'm sure there are many members here that listen to such crap!

BTW, I do listen to Jazz on my iPod.  :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
I agree that many people, not just teenagers, will experience hearing loss due to mp3 players. What I find amazing is the narrow-mindedness of an "audiophile" describing certain types of music as "crap". I'm sure there are many members here that listen to such crap!

BTW, I do listen to Jazz on my iPod.  :thumb:

What he said. Minus the iPod.

D.D.