Bryston Owner's Speakers

Sasha

Re: Bryston Owner's Speakers
« Reply #120 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm »
Haha no, I plan on getting the passive version as the ATC amps are MOSFETs. I'm not too keen on the MOSFET sound. And I don't wanna get rid of my 4BSST!
Have you heard active ones? I had them side by side in active and passive version and passive had serious problems, active crossover allowed for clearly audible superior driver integration, coherence and power response.

rob80b

« Reply #121 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:07 pm »

Well no more TV speakers or Imac for my 11 year old, now that he started listening through dad’s system.
Going through Chapters the other day he happened to mosey into the music section while I was looking for some books and was delighted he could buy actual buy physical copies of his favorite artists all nicely packaged in a jewel case with a little booklet and all, now he plans to put together a physical music library and not some tunes on a hard drive downloaded from Apple or watching Youtube.
Sort of refreshing but goes against popular opinion about young people, and without any coaching from me he also immediately noticed the difference in sound quality from using the BCD-1 as apposed to streaming MP3s to the system, hopefully he’s the new generation insisting on higher res formats from the music industry and of course using Bryston

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #122 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm »
For clarity and information, I think your comment should specify that you are talking about a certain type of mass market JBL product in your assessment that does not include JBL PRO drivers and large studio monitors series...
The best JBL studio monitors can still be available through Harman Japan
http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/jbl/hifi/4348/
And for the nostalgic of a great sound era, replicas are being made by Japanese Kenrick sound:
http://jbl43.com/?mode=f3
When a 4348 sells for Yen850K a piece, that is less than $10,000 a piece, so $20k a pair of professional monitors, it puts the overpriced HiFi speakers advertized in magazines to shame. Power them with Bryston laugh all the way to the bank!
 :duh:

Yeah well, going by your handle you're a JBL guy, that's fine. As I'm sure you know JBL is now made in Mexico. Which is a turn off for me, and I'm hearing a lot of other people as well. An ex-employee of JBL has told me they're having some QC problems down there. I haven't heard the 4348s, but I've heard the Arrays, K2s, and Everests. For a lot less money than the K2s, and a little more than the Arrays, I get one of the best monitor speakers in the world 100 percent made in England. And I like the sound better than JBL. My opinion only of course.

vegasdave

« Reply #123 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm »
Vegasdave - Are you going to get those at Las Vegas Pro Audio?

No, unless I want the pro versions.

vegasdave

« Reply #124 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:32 pm »
Have you heard active ones? I had them side by side in active and passive version and passive had serious problems, active crossover allowed for clearly audible superior driver integration, coherence and power response.

No I haven't. Thanks for the tip. What problems did the passive ones have? I couldn't tell, lol.

Sasha

« Reply #125 on: 31 Mar 2011, 12:12 am »
No I haven't. Thanks for the tip. What problems did the passive ones have? I couldn't tell, lol.
Well, I am not saying passive were horrible, they are certainly good in passive version, but if you have an opportunity to compare to active ones I would suggest you grab that chance.
I did so and ended up with active ones.
I do understand what you say about MOSFET, such generalization is not unfounded, however I found that benefits of active crossover outweigh by a large margin any reservations one may have towards specific amplifier topology.
In comparison to active the passive ones exhibit a suck-out in voice region on 30 degrees or more off axis, and that is where the soundstage completely collapses as well.
Active ones have much better, more even off axis response and stable soundstage no matter where you are located.
So obviously depending on your room passive ones may not even sound as good as you heard them at dealers due to their poor power response.
I observed the same with DIY speakers using ATC mid dome, it is extremely hard to integrate it with passive cross-over.

vegasdave

« Reply #126 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:49 am »
Food for thought. Thanks again.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #127 on: 31 Mar 2011, 03:41 am »

Cool off, nobody stated that ATC does not manufacture good speakers.
Before simply "going by handle" you'd be gaining credibility by avoiding such general statements on tested professional products especially talking to someone who designed and set up a 4way active system instead of buying two boxes... eom. :lol:

Yeah well, going by your handle you're a JBL guy, that's fine. As I'm sure you know JBL is now made in Mexico. Which is a turn off for me, and I'm hearing a lot of other people as well. An ex-employee of JBL has told me they're having some QC problems down there. I haven't heard the 4348s, but I've heard the Arrays, K2s, and Everests. For a lot less money than the K2s, and a little more than the Arrays, I get one of the best monitor speakers in the world 100 percent made in England. And I like the sound better than JBL. My opinion only of course.

vegasdave

« Reply #128 on: 31 Mar 2011, 05:32 am »
Cool off, nobody stated that ATC does not manufacture good speakers.
Before simply "going by handle" you'd be gaining credibility by avoiding such general statements on tested professional products especially talking to someone who designed and set up a 4way active system instead of buying two boxes... eom. :lol:

No worries. Again, I feel ATC is better than JBL, especially with JBL going south to Mexico. I'm not gonna pay $10000 and up for Mexican and Chinese made speakers. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #129 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:36 am »
cool speakers, Dave. congrats. how much are they in the U.S.?

al.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #130 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:54 pm »
No worries. Again, I feel ATC is better than JBL, especially with JBL going south to Mexico. I'm not gonna pay $10000 and up for Mexican and Chinese made speakers. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Even based on drivers characteristics, your opinion can be debated. As for your fixation on Mexico and now China, no comment since the link was Harman Japan... By the Way Kenrick Sound uses reconed original JBL drivers. At least bi amplify your ATC because at 91dB/w/m even a 4B will be pushed...

werd

« Reply #131 on: 31 Mar 2011, 03:53 pm »
Even based on drivers characteristics, your opinion can be debated. As for your fixation on Mexico and now China, no comment since the link was Harman Japan... By the Way Kenrick Sound uses reconed original JBL drivers. At least bi amplify your ATC because at 91dB/w/m even a 4B will be pushed...

I wouldn't vertical bi amp those. Why would you bi amp a pair of ATCs when you can buy them in active? You won't be able to do it better than ATC. You buy passive you buy mono's at the very best for bi amping.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #132 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:06 pm »
I wouldn't vertical bi amp those. Why would you bi amp a pair of ATCs when you can buy them in active? You won't be able to do it better than ATC. You buy passive you buy mono's at the very best for bi amping.

Indeed buy active at least!

vegasdave

« Reply #133 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:24 pm »
cool speakers, Dave. congrats. how much are they in the U.S.?

al.

They're up there in price. The SCM100s are: http://flatearthaudio.com/?page_id=31

The SCM150s are: http://flatearthaudio.com/?page_id=33

Right now, the dist. is having a 15 percent off sale. Normally they take 10 percent off.

vegasdave

« Reply #134 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:26 pm »

Everything JBL is now made in Mexico including stuff for the Japanese maket.

Is Kenrick Sound even still in business after the earthquake and tsunami?

vegasdave

« Reply #135 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:27 pm »
As far as active vs. passive, the dist. told me the passives are fine. I didn't hear any problems with them. I don't wanna take a loss on the 4BSST either.

werd

« Reply #136 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:32 pm »
As far as active vs. passive, the dist. told me the passives are fine. I didn't hear any problems with them. I don't wanna take a loss on the 4BSST either.

Vegas

You gotta a great speaker here in passive with lots of upgrade bug you are going to have. throw a 14bsq on it for crazy volume.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #137 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:38 pm »
(...)
Is Kenrick Sound even still in business after the earthquake and tsunami?

Really classy.

vegasdave

« Reply #138 on: 31 Mar 2011, 08:30 pm »
What? It was a legitimate question.

Anyway, it's obvious you came here to do battle.

I don't want any more to do with it.

Again, I'm just expressing my opinion. But, it is fact that JBL (and even Revel) are Mexican made and they're having qc problems.

I will not respond to your posts any further...

vegasdave

« Reply #139 on: 31 Mar 2011, 08:33 pm »
Vegas

You gotta a great speaker here in passive with lots of upgrade bug you are going to have. throw a 14bsq on it for crazy volume.

Yeah, the 14B would be superior on those. I plan on getting Bryston speaker cable as well. Short lengths of course. Probably no longer than 4-5 feet.