I think DSLR's are archaic dinosaurs

charmerci

I think DSLR's are archaic dinosaurs
« on: 5 Mar 2011, 05:42 pm »
I mean - what the purpose of a mirror that needs to be flipped up to take a photo?  :scratch: They're bigger and heavier than necessary.

This is the way to go.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/

Not that I'm personally endorsing the Sony - just the new mirrorless systems.
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2011, 10:21 pm by charmerci »

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: I think DSLR's are silly
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2011, 06:55 pm »
Back in the early 60s Canon had a non-moving pellical (sp?) mirror so it cut down on vibrations.  It also needed a faster lens because it lost light and had lower contrast.

Any camera (non-SLR) that you hold it well away from your face will be much tougher to hold steady at longer focal lengths.  I have  a DSLR with video and it is almost worthless for longer telephoto shots.  It's a PITA to aim.

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2011, 07:06 pm »
This is interesting...the particular Sony mentioned doesn't seem too amazing, but will definitely be keeping an eye on these mirrorless offerings.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2011, 07:46 pm »
Just to clarify a bit. I used to own and love an old Nikon FM (all manual) and several lens. I kind of put photography on the back burner for a while. Then I got a small super lightweight point and shoot and soon learned that I didn't have to worry about expense and storage of film and prints, so I started taking a LOT of photos. That helped me improve - in addition, with the computer, I now have total, almost instant control over the photos - much quicker feedback.

So with my interest renewed - I'm looking to get a better camera - that is, using better lenses and those big, bulky DSLR's just don't appeal to me at all especially with digital sensors improving and shrinking year by year. The weight and the increased mechanical complexity of a moving mirror just does not make any sense to me.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2011, 02:41 am »
I've been considering the NEX 5 and the forth coming Fuji X-100 for street photography.  The thing about the Sony is you don't have to bring it up to your face to frame the shot.  That's a big plus IMO, as I could never do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBARi09je8&feature=player_embedded

How he gets away with that in NY is beyond me.  I know of a another fearless photographer in L.A. who does the same thing. 

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2011, 10:27 am »
Um. This is a bit like saying that four-stroke internal combustion engines are silly.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2011, 08:36 pm »
Um. This is a bit like saying that four-stroke internal combustion engines are silly.

Well, more like two-stroke internal combustion engines are silly.  :green:

Eh, it's just a headline - marketing and controversy, baby! But my two posts make more clear what I really am saying.

Anyway, my photography skills have improved using a P&S - not with using my long-gone SLR.

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2011, 09:16 pm »
Seriously I don't theink the OP has a valid point here. No offense but I guarantee my d300 takes a picture that is so much better than that or any mini camera. Also performance is key. I can turn the D300 on and it is ready to take a picture before I could even hit the shutter button. Also can a point and shoot take 5 frames a second? Didn't think so. :P

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2011, 09:30 pm »
According to DXO Mark the Sony edges out the Nikon... also this P&S can shoot 7 fps.

Sony NEX-3 vs. Nikon D300 Camera Rankings

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2011, 09:48 pm »

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2011, 09:55 pm »
Seriously though, I have learned one thing about specs... They don't mean anything. Someone buy the camera, and come to my house. We'll have a shooting match between the 2.

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm »
Seriously I don't theink the OP has a valid point here. No offense but I guarantee my d300 takes a picture that is so much better than that or any mini camera.

I said my skills improved (because I take more photos and get quicker feedback) than I did with a film camera.

Believe me, I'd much rather have a Hasselblad than my p&s.

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm »
I would as well.  8) Of course... It would be way too much camera for me and I would feel silly owning it.  :?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:02 am »
Seriously though... Someone buy the camera, and come to my house. We'll have a shooting match between the 2.

I just bought the camera, now you come to my place and then we'll do the shooting match.

I won't be selling my DSLR though... well maybe one of them.  The NEX-5 is primarily going to be used for inconspicuously shooting strangers unawares without the hassle of risking certain bodily harm to myself.  I was going to go with the Fuji X-100, but after some reflection I think the NEX is the better tool for the street.

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:08 am »
Hell ya, you come to RMAF and we'll do some show coverage. :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:13 am »
The real weaknesses of the P&S cameras is their ability to focus in low light and low noise at high ISO in low light.

At least for me, it's much easier to focus on something moving with a DSLR than a P&S.  Walking around somewhere just taking pics for fun (shooting at ISO 100-400), a P&S is awesome.  When I can get an EOS 5 mk. 2 in a compact, I'm ready to buy it!

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:37 am »
I just bought the camera, now you come to my place and then we'll do the shooting match.

I won't be selling my DSLR though... well maybe one of them.  The NEX-5 is primarily going to be used for inconspicuously shooting strangers unawares without the hassle of risking certain bodily harm to myself.  I was going to go with the Fuji X-100, but after some reflection I think the NEX is the better tool for the street.

Cool! Let us know how it works out!
Work is very sparse for me now, so I'll have to wait for a while to get one.

I'll be interested in your RMAF shoot-out - or maybe the shout-out?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:45 am »
According to dpreview and the samples I've seen the NEX-5 does a decent job at higher ISOs and handles high noise quite well.  I'm not too worried how it compares to other cameras though. Having an APS-C sensor, it really is a cross between a P&S and DSLR.  I bet Sony will come out with a new model this year using the same sensor, if not a better one than what is in D7000 and the K-5.

DustyC

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2011, 02:15 am »
I agree that the "old style" SLR doesn't appeal to me anymore. I really like the EVIL cameras from Panny since they can give you more info in the viewfinder than the mirror reflex type cameras. You can chimp right in the viewfinder as opposed to squinting in the sunlight trying to see the result on the back of the camera. The act of composing an image feels more normal with this design (like the mirror SLR's) but the image is gained up in low light thus making it easier to see what you're doing.

Yeah, the day Canon makes a P&S with the '5 sensor is the day they have wrung every dollar out of the "higher end" camera crowd.  8)

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:40 pm »
But put a decent lens on the NEX5 (or equivalent) and the ergonomics are awful and it looks crap too.

Surely this is a horses for courses thing and personal opinion. Mentioning any of this as fact when its opinion is just trolling.

YMMV

Nick.