I think DSLR's are archaic dinosaurs

Wind Chaser

Re: I think DSLR's are silly
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:57 pm »
But put a decent lens on the NEX5 (or equivalent) and the ergonomics are awful and it looks crap too.

Who cares what it looks like and why should that matter?  Cameras are like tools, I have four and each one serves a different purpose according to its uniqueness.  IMO there is no one size fits all / end all be all.  And that's a fact!

It will be a week before I even get to unbox the NEX-5, but this is going to expand my photographic horizons in ways previously not possible… or would be very difficult at the very least.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 07:53 am by Wind Chaser »

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2011, 05:18 pm »
But put a decent lens on the NEX5 (or equivalent) and the ergonomics are awful and it looks crap too.

These companies have millions at their disposal. I'm sure their designers are working at making the next generations sleeker.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2011, 05:40 pm »
Say what you will about "mirrors" but the OP probably could have used a bit of self reflection before wording the caption. 8)

geowak

« Reply #23 on: 7 Mar 2011, 05:46 pm »
I don't think DSLRs are silly. I think they are a nice landmark in the evolution of photography.
I really believe that camera skills are best learned with a camera that does not make choices for you, you make the choices in an attempt to get a decent shot.

I think pinhole cameras and the images they take are wonderful, but it's not FAST FOOD photography for your typical FAST FOOD nation of people. Learning how light behaves,.... how a shutter and an aperature work together,.... how light and color are the same....how ISO works and can produce grain or noise on an image....how to recognize good composition...this is what improves your skills in photography!

Ansel Adams had a very cumbersome camera, that I am sure looked silly to many in Yosemite National Park. But what great images he captured

My two cents

Jon L

« Reply #24 on: 7 Mar 2011, 07:22 pm »
It will be a week before I even get to unbox the NEX-5, but this is going to expand my photographic horizons in ways that are not possible… or would be very difficult at the very least.

BTW.  Is there any new word on any new NEX lenses from Sony, other than the 16mm and 18-55mm?  Wish they had a 35mm prime pancake..

And is it true that A-mount Sony lenses via adapter are much slower to focus on the NEX than Alpha bodies?

nathanm

« Reply #25 on: 7 Mar 2011, 07:23 pm »
I think the one thing all great photographers had in common, is that they all had NO JOB.  That's the key.  What you need is TIME to actually become good.  It's the Tenacious D advice.  Yes, I'm bitter. :P

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #26 on: 7 Mar 2011, 09:27 pm »
The NEX-5 is primarily going to be used for inconspicuously shooting strangers unawares without the hassle of risking certain bodily harm to myself.

Do elaborate with the juicy details :) Are we talking spy stuff? Pictures of offensive linemen? Paparazzi?

charmerci

« Reply #27 on: 7 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm »
Say what you will about "mirrors" but the OP probably could have used a bit of self reflection before wording the caption. 8)

OK - I agree. I've changed it!  :green:

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: I think DSLR's are archaic dinosaurs
« Reply #28 on: 7 Mar 2011, 10:52 pm »
Your new title is even sillier than your old one.  :thumb:

Gene

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #29 on: 7 Mar 2011, 11:40 pm »
So if DSLRs are archaic dinosaurs, what do you call those of us who use wooden (or metal) bellows view cameras with the black cloth over the back?   :o :lol:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #30 on: 7 Mar 2011, 11:56 pm »
It depends on how much control you want over the creative process and how easy you want access to all of the functions.  It's not really the mirror that makes a Dslr so handy, it's the actually the ergonomics.  I want to have all of those functions right under my finger tips where I can toggle them without having to even look. at least not for long.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 8 Mar 2011, 01:31 am »
BTW.  Is there any new word on any new NEX lenses from Sony, other than the 16mm and 18-55mm?  Wish they had a 35mm prime pancake..

They have a 18-200 and there is a rumored road map...

http://photorumors.com/2010/09/26/sony-nex-e-mount-lens-roadmap/

The NEX cameras seem to be quite popular for Sony, so it's quite reasonable that they will expand the market with more lenses.

And is it true that A-mount Sony lenses via adapter are much slower to focus on the NEX than Alpha bodies?

The adapter doesn't permit AF but it does AE with the aperture mechanism.  As for how manual focus works on it, I do not know.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 8 Mar 2011, 01:35 am »
Do elaborate with the juicy details :) Are we talking spy stuff? Pictures of offensive linemen? Paparazzi?

:lol: Covert missions. 

charmerci

« Reply #33 on: 8 Mar 2011, 02:45 am »
So if DSLRs are archaic dinosaurs, what do you call those of us who use wooden (or metal) bellows view cameras with the black cloth over the back?   :o :lol:

Well, since you asked! Precambrian fossils!  :green:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #34 on: 8 Mar 2011, 02:47 am »
Funny, that's what my wife and kids think!    :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #35 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:52 am »
Funny, that's what my wife and kids think!    :thumb:

What a smart wife and kids you have!  :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 9 Mar 2011, 10:01 am »

Independent thinkers.

What are you shooting with? I have to rationalize a little bit, I don't use the LF very often at all but don't want to ditch it either.

nathanm

« Reply #37 on: 9 Mar 2011, 04:09 pm »
I must say that "archaic dinosaurs" sounds redundant.  Although perhaps sharks would be considered "modern dinosaurs", but I could be wrong about that.  Biology is not my strong suit.  But anyway, the point is that DSLRs are indeed both silly and dinosauric and anyone using one ought to be mocked mercilessly until crying ensues.  On the other hand, view camera users are probably some of the finest specimens humanity has to offer and should be looked to as paragons of photographic virtue at all times.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #38 on: 9 Mar 2011, 04:46 pm »
Birds, according to my 8 year old, are the "modern" dinosaurs.  This reminds me of the RISC/SISC debate.  Both work and both are evolving, which the "archaic" dinos didn't.  8)

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #39 on: 9 Mar 2011, 05:17 pm »
I must say that "archaic dinosaurs" sounds redundant.  Although perhaps sharks would be considered "modern dinosaurs", but I could be wrong about that.  Biology is not my strong suit.  But anyway, the point is that DSLRs are indeed both silly and dinosauric and anyone using one ought to be mocked mercilessly until crying ensues.  On the other hand, view camera users are probably some of the finest specimens humanity has to offer and should be looked to as paragons of photographic virtue at all times.

Truer words have never been spoken!     :thumb: