I think DSLR's are archaic dinosaurs

nathanm

Re: I think DSLR's are archaic dinosaurs
« Reply #40 on: 9 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
Birds may be dinosaurs, but not quite as cool or threatening as the archaic ones.  For example, the only way a bird is going to smash through the window of your Ford Explorer in dramatic fashion is if it's shot out of an air cannon.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #41 on: 9 Mar 2011, 06:43 pm »
Independent thinkers.

What are you shooting with? I have to rationalize a little bit, I don't use the LF very often at all but don't want to ditch it either.

I have a Wisner 8x10 outfit with several lenses, a Linhof Technikardan and Super Technika press camera, both 4x5s, several speed graphics and  too many older 4x5s to mention.  I used to use the 8x10 a couple times a year, but not so much since I got remarried 5 years ago.......

nathanm

« Reply #42 on: 9 Mar 2011, 09:59 pm »
Sweet!  Linhof is like the Wilson Audio of cameras, man those suckers are expensive!  Some sticker shock for ya'll:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=99

Swanky.  Boy, they cost as much or more than top-of-line DSLR bodies but they don't even shoot video or have automatic face detection!  What a gyp!  :P  I'd still probably go for an Ebony if I had money I didn't know what to do with.

charmerci

« Reply #43 on: 10 Mar 2011, 08:25 pm »
Sweet!  Linhof is like the Wilson Audio of cameras, man those suckers are expensive!  Some sticker shock for ya'll:

Are you kidding? That's cheap! You can get two of those for this one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736664-REG/Hasselblad_70480522_H4D_31_Medium_Format_DSLR.html

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #44 on: 10 Mar 2011, 08:39 pm »

Swanky.  Boy, they cost as much or more than top-of-line DSLR bodies but they don't even shoot video or have automatic face detection!  What a gyp!  :P  I'd still probably go for an Ebony if I had money I didn't know what to do with.

Yeah, but talk about a curse! Having two hobbies, audio and photo, that encourage (require?) buying expensive upgrades!    :duh: :scratch: :thumb:  At least I've never had a problem driving old, cheap POS cars with as much rust as miles.

bunnyma357

« Reply #45 on: 10 Mar 2011, 08:40 pm »
I'm looking to get a large sensor/interchangeable lens camera for video.  And after comparing features, image quality and price, a DSLR still looks the best.  Really wanted to be able to go with something like the Sony SLT-A55, or Panasonic GH2, but they just don't have the features or look of the Canon DSLR's.

So, right now I'm looking into a Canon 60D, but will probably wait until after NAB to see if maybe there will be a Sony SLT A-77 with full manual controls for video and no overheating problems.

Jim C

Jon L

« Reply #46 on: 10 Mar 2011, 09:04 pm »
I'm looking to get a large sensor/interchangeable lens camera for video.  And after comparing features, image quality and price, a DSLR still looks the best.  Really wanted to be able to go with something like the Sony SLT-A55, or Panasonic GH2, but they just don't have the features or look of the Canon DSLR's.

So, right now I'm looking into a Canon 60D, but will probably wait until after NAB to see if maybe there will be a Sony SLT A-77 with full manual controls for video and no overheating problems.

Jim C

As long as you realize and don't mind that none of the Canon DSLR's offer continuous video autofocus.  As long as you're not a video pro wanting flawless results focusing on different objects at different distances, one can turn the focus ring manually if needed.

Nikon DSLR's were the first to offer continuous video AF, namely D3100, but it's not implemented well and IMO even slower and hunts more than manual focus.  It also records all the noise the lens and focus mechanism makes. See the test videos here:

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/09/29/nikon-d3100-continuous-autofocus-tests/

Having said that, 1080p video shot with DSLR with a fast lens can look fantastic, obviously when shooting a scene not requiring much focus shifts. 

Following is a 1080p video I made with Canon 550D and cheapish Canon 35mm f2.0 lens, in dim restaurant without changing focus (after initial focus before starting video).

http://vimeo.com/18433039

nathanm

« Reply #47 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:14 pm »
The image quality is nice on those high zoot Hassleblads, but for that kinda scratch I'd want wood, leather and chrome.  I just don't care for the space age plastic look.  Luckily that won't be a decision I'm facing anytime soon!

SET Man

« Reply #48 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:24 am »
Hey!

I love my dino DSLR! I even still have a pre-dino cam gathering dust on my shelf... 4X5 Sinar :lol:

The Sony NEX are nice and should fit those who want something in between full DSLR and P&S cam.

For me I think I still prefer using viewfinder, I don't feel like having people peeping over my shoulder seeing what am I shooting I guess. But I think mostly because I started out in photography with film cam and I'm use to using viewfinder.

As mentioned before there are crossover cam like Sony SLT-33 or 55  of which are very interesting. Since I don't care much about shooting video with DLSR I hope that Sony will keep their future full-frame DLSRs in traditional way. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

bunnyma357

« Reply #49 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:35 am »
   For me I think I still prefer using viewfinder, I don't feel like having people peeping over my shoulder seeing what am I shooting I guess. But I think mostly because I started out in photography with film cam and I'm use to using viewfinder.

Also if you're older and need reading glasses, a viewfinder with a diopter is a lot more convenient than an LCD that you have to put your glasses on to view.

Jim C