Panasonic SA-XR50

aamsel

Panasonic SA-XR50
« on: 24 Mar 2004, 06:09 pm »
As someone else reported yesterday, J&R Music World is taking pre-orders on the SA-XR50. I called Panasonic today, and they told me that the release date for the XR50 is April, and the release date for the XR70 is June, July (or later.)
They also told me that the XR50 is a direct replacement for the beloved XR45. I have an order in for an XR50.
My guess would be that the XR50 has "bug fixes" for known issues like the power cord, etc. Would that be your guess?
Andrew
Austin, TX

ncaudio

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2004, 03:46 am »
The 50 is supposed to be the replacement for the 25 and the 70 is supposed to be the replacement for the 45, all of these use the cheapo power cord at least it looks that way from the pre-release pictures of the 70 (and I would assume the 50 uses the same) there isn't much room on the back in any case. As for how either of the new ones sound, time will tell.

Roger

aamsel

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2004, 04:13 am »
I agree on the "time will tell" part, but I have checked the specs and spoken with 4 different people at Panasonic. The 50 has all features of the 45. The 70 is a brand new model with new features, such as an HDMI
connector. Everything on the 50 (as far as features and specs) matches up exactly to the 45. The 25 has less stuff than both the 45 or 50.
From what Panasonic told me: The 50 is just the "next year's" 45, with a larger display, an extra small knob to the right side. She said they change the model numbers every year.
I have heard several other people say that the 50 is the replacement for the 25, but nothing I have been able to dig-up supports that.
If I am missing something, please let me know. Obviously, they could have enhanced or "cheaped-out" anything. Until we see one, we won't know.
Andrew
Austin, TX

Quote from: ncaudio
The 50 is supposed to be the replacement for the 25 and the 70 is supposed to be the replacement for the 45, all of these use the cheapo power cord at least it looks that way from the pre-release pictures of the 70 (and I would assume the 50 uses the same) there isn't much room on the back in any case. As for how either of the new ones sound, time will tell.Roger

aamsel

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2004, 04:15 am »
In that I accept the fact that I am often wrong, where did you get your information? Any link that I can read, etc.?
Thanks,
Andrew
Austin, TX

Quote from: ncaudio
...The 50 is supposed to be the replacement for the 25 and the 70 is supposed to be the replacement for the 45...Roger

JoshK

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2004, 04:57 pm »
Did you happen to see the Sherwood digital receiver that J&R is selling too, the R 903 I think it is?  Might be an interesting product as well.

I suspect more and more of these mass market companies will come out with more and more models of these digital receivers and just as in days of yore, they will make what came out yesterday obsolete.

_scotty_

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2004, 05:57 pm »
If the listed net wt. on the XR50 is 8.8lbs. that is the same wieght as the XR25. The XR45 weighed 9.2 lbs and the extra 0.4lbs was in the power supply. I would hold off purchasing until the confusion is eliminated.
There is a good chance that the XR70 might be the product to buy.

_scotty_

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2004, 05:57 pm »
deleted

aamsel

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2004, 07:06 pm »
I just cancelled my order with J&R for the 50.
I ordered one of the "last remaining" 45's in the country mentioned in another thread. At least it is a known entity.
Thanks for the advice!
Andrew
Austin, TX

foggy

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2004, 07:07 pm »
That Sherwood R-903 does look interesting.  It uses an Equibit amp ("amps"?) for full-digital path.  Here's the manufacturer's link:  http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_r903.html#

It's certainly an attractive component.  The 3 year warranty for the more "upscale" Newcastle line is a nice plus; the spring-clip speaker connections are a negative.  Doesn't look like it has Dolby Headphone, which would be the tipping point for me to buy one of these new digital receivers.  Otherwise I'll wait for a nice digital integrated amp, and add a separate Dolby Headphone processor (pending Pioneer unit).

BTW, the spec sheet link for this unit lists the weight as 17 lbs.  I downloaded the manual and it shows the net wt. as 9.3 lbs.

dwk

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2004, 11:23 pm »
Quote from: foggy
That Sherwood R-903 does look interesting.  It uses an Equibit amp ("amps"?) for full-digital path.  Here's the manufacturer's link:  http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_r903.html#

It does look interesting, particularly the 6.1 channel input which gives access to all 6 amplifier channels. For those looking to use a receiver as a cheap amp for multi-way actively x-o speakers, this would allow a full 3-way with only one amp.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2004, 02:28 am »
AARRGGGHHHH!  Death to spring clip speaker terminals! :x   Why don't the bastards just charge $5 more for the friggin' thing?

armstrg3

Availability of SA-XR70 and DVD-S97
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2004, 10:56 pm »
I sent Panasonic an e-mail asking when  the SA-XR70 and the DVD-S97 will be available for purchase?  There answer is as follows: :!:

Re:
Thank you for your inquiry. Both of the products that you have inquired
about will be released in mid-April.

We hope this information is helpful.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

aamsel

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2004, 03:09 am »
Interesting, they told me July or August the two times I called.
Andrew
Austin, TX

kaper

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2004, 09:47 pm »
All this buzz about the XR45 definitely got me interested. Just ordered the XR50 from Amazon.com. Looks like they have it in stock since it is preparing for shipment under order status. Since they have a very good return policy, guess Ill be the guinea pig on the newer unit  :wink:

armstrg3

SA XR50
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:12 pm »
Kaper -

I'm curious as to why you opted for the xr50 and not the SA XR70 which is due out soon???

kaper

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:35 pm »
Well I was just looking around for a good receiver/amp for a bedroom system and didnt want to spend that much. Heard good things about the XR45 and I saw that the 50 was in stock so I just went ahead and ordered it. Anyways from what Ive read I think the 70 is coming out in later in August, at a higher price too. Also I would not be comparing them side by side (ignorance is bliss..  :lol:)and even if I was I might not be able to tell the difference. If the 50 sounds good Ill keep it but if not, after the recommended break in period, guess Ill just return it or sell it.

armstrg3

Sa Xr50
« Reply #16 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:48 pm »
I think the only real difference is the HDMI available on the sa xr70 and of course the $$

kaper

Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:50 pm »
Quote from: _scotty_
If the listed net wt. on the XR50 is 8.8lbs. that is the same wieght as the XR25. The XR45 weighed 9.2 lbs and the extra 0.4lbs was in the power supply. I would hold off purchasing until the confusion is eliminated.
There is a good chance that the XR70 might be the product to buy.

I just looked at the manual that was posted in this section. The specs list it as 9.3 pounds. Maybe this is the replacement for the XR45..?

armstrg3

Sa Xr50
« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:54 pm »
Interesting weight comparisons.  I read somewhere that the Sa Xr50 is a replacement for the xr25 and the xr70 is the replacement for the xr45!?

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2004, 04:19 am »