Upgrade Options??

Levi

Re: Upgrade Options??
« Reply #80 on: 1 Mar 2011, 02:35 pm »
Hmmm...you must have a huge room and ears made for metal.   :lol:

The question would be to the OP if he is currently clipping his B100.  If he does, then that would be a sensible upgrade in the future.  If not, then you will be fine with your OB1i future upgrade.

>>I have driven my PMC OB1i with a pair of McIntosh MC-60 tube monos.  They are rated at 60Watts.  Plenty loud and satisfying.  The B100 will surely rock the house! <<

My experience with Paradigm Studio 100's is that they are a power hungry speaker when it comes to bass. Don't know if these other brands need lots of power but assume with the extra bass drivers that the power demands would be similar to 100's.

I used different amps even in bi-amp configuration rated at 100 watts. Even though they drive the speaker the bass is boomy and sounds like @$$. Bryston with its high current ability is what is needed to drive the bass so that it is fast and clean, not lagging.

My 3B ST will clip with the 100's at my preferred listening volume. I clipped the 3B SST a few times, but that was caused by having a graphic equalizer in the chain. I have yet to see the 3B SST2 clip. I have a 4 ohm load on it and at times the decibel level can be a 100 decibels, 110 decibels C weighted which is lots of bass!

So the B100 at 100 wpc would be comparable to the 3B ST in power output. Not enough, for higher spl bass without clipping. 8)

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #81 on: 1 Mar 2011, 05:04 pm »
Hmmm...you must have a huge room and ears made for metal.   :lol:

"....The question would be to the OP if he is currently clipping his B100..." 

I was once or perhaps twice, treated [?] to experiencing an angry pair of 28B SST² amplifiers clip away  :o

Be well...

Levi

« Reply #82 on: 1 Mar 2011, 05:54 pm »
I never see my 7BSST clipped.  The OB1is' woofers protested.   Even at that sound pressure levels is surely not healthy for everyone.  To each his own.  Now blast away.   :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #83 on: 2 Mar 2011, 01:26 am »
>>Hmmm...you must have a huge room and ears made for metal.   :lol: <<

My room is long and narrow like a cave. 12 speakers, 1 sub, 4 amps, 1 power conditioner that regulates the voltage. :P

Typically I listen at 92-95 db which depending on the song averages about 100 db C scale.

A song like Black Sabbath-Warpigs at the loudest part of the song fluctuates between 95-100 A scale & C scale but peaks at 106 db C scale. That's as loud as I dare crank it. :smoke:

JustAudio

« Reply #84 on: 2 Mar 2011, 02:06 pm »
The PMC's will sound more 'full bodied' than the Thiel's.

james

James thanks... both the thiels and PMC goes very well with Bryston. Ok, I guess I will stay with my Thiels =)

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #85 on: 6 Mar 2011, 10:17 am »
Diamond Dog - What made you decide to not go a 4bsst2 route with OB1i rather and than the 7bsst2 with FB1i?

The speakers came first. Chose FB1i over OB1i because as one British reviewer put it: " the FB1i's offer 75% of the sound quality of the OB1i's for 60% of the money " plus I was concerned about ending up with too much speaker for my listening  room. Went with 7BSST2 vs. 4BSST2 because I wanted mono blocks this time around vs. horizontal bi-amping and I got a good deal on the amps. I'm sure the 4B SST2 would have been enough but now I've got the amp end of my system covered ad infinitum no matter what I do with speakers in the future. I also am a believer in running more watts than you could technically get away with - headroom rules. Further to the speakers, I know others here will dispute the value of the upgrades in the i-series vs. the + series but I think it was money well-spent. The tweeter is not the only upgrade between the two. If the cash is tight or if a used pair of FB1i's don't come up, the FB1+ is still a very good piece of kit.

D.D.