Upgrade Options??

mclsound

Re: Upgrade Options??
« Reply #40 on: 25 Feb 2011, 02:48 pm »
OK guys...whats going on here?
I guy says he wants an upgrade...mentions his gear....and we look at his speaker specs and well that about says it.If you think your Torus is going to deliver deep lovely bass ......Buy it...but I dont think it is his proper upgrade.I think he should spend his hard earned money on the speakers,then sell his, and go from there.His speakers spec out at around 50hz with a 5.5" woofer(big bass there) aluminum dome tweeter and weigh 9lbs with bryston power.
If he were to go for a used pair of PMC with a soft dome tweeter,he would make a big jump in sound
Hell even the TB2 weight twice as much(18.7lbs),go lower(40hz) and use a 6.5" woofer.
The FB1 will make a big improvement at 90db sensitivity,28hz,and 40lbs each.
So do what you will but the speaker will make the best upgrade in my opinion.
Have fun with all your choices.

Napalm

« Reply #41 on: 25 Feb 2011, 04:12 pm »
Let me vote again. With a $3000 budget the most spectacular improvement would be made by adding subwoofer(s). And I mean *spectacular* not subtle flavours.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #42 on: 25 Feb 2011, 04:16 pm »
 :lol:

John he has only got $3k. How about finding him a pair of speakers that aren't over priced. The pmc's are a horrible suggestion. You guys remind of those vacuum sales guys who try and sell me a $2000 dollar vacuum. Yah sure the vaccum is nice but holy F@# the price.  At least the power conditioning is under 3k.

To me his speakers are good when considering how he is lagging on conditioning.

werd

« Reply #43 on: 25 Feb 2011, 04:18 pm »
Let me vote again. With a $3000 budget the most spectacular improvement would be made by adding subwoofer(s). And I mean *spectacular* not subtle flavours.

Nap.

hehe, i agree.

mclsound

« Reply #44 on: 25 Feb 2011, 04:56 pm »

Now Werd
When I say used,I mean at a good price!!!I have stated where I stand on the PMC pricing(which I hear is going up....LOL) and would never tell someone to pay $7000 for OB1i's(personally,if anyone payed that much they should shake their head).
Now as far as sound,as you can see I have tried their speakers and they do ""ROCK"" and I have told many that their older models are a excellent speaker and $3000 will find some real deals
BUT
again if you are going to listen to the PMC tweeter babble and pay $1200-$1500 for this """""i""""" tweeter...THEN GO FOR IT.
BUT
it is not worth it in comparison to the extra money you pay because their older speakers sound fantastic.

Mag

« Reply #45 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:23 pm »
I guy says he wants an upgrade...mentions his gear....and we look at his speaker specs and well that about says it.If you think your Torus is going to deliver deep lovely bass ......Buy it...but I dont think it is his proper upgrade.I think he should spend his hard earned money on the speakers,then sell his, and go from there.His speakers spec out at around 50hz with a 5.5" woofer(big bass there) aluminum dome tweeter and weigh 9lbs with bryston power.
If he were to go for a used pair of PMC with a soft dome tweeter,he would make a big jump in sound
Hell even the TB2 weight twice as much(18.7lbs),go lower(40hz) and use a 6.5" woofer.

I agree that his speakers are probably the weak link and should be upgraded. A power conditioner is not essential for enjoying the sound from your stereo. I lived without one for years. At some point however if he wants to take the sound to a higher level of fidelity, then he needs a power conditioner.

Perhaps I should invest in a Torus or BIT as well, but I'm happy with the sound I'm getting from the AVS 2000. My problem is I can't decide what music to play even though I have lots of cds. Sifting through new stuff doesn't give me my fix unless I come across a gem, and the old good stuff I've played too many times. :|

PRELUDE

« Reply #46 on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:01 pm »
I agree :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #47 on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:05 pm »
On the audio upgrade scale out of 100 - speakers are a 50 :thumb:

james

audioman999

« Reply #48 on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:16 pm »
On the audio upgrade scale out of 100 - speakers are a 50 :thumb:

james

James - What components would come in higher than 50?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:34 pm »
James - What components would come in higher than 50?

The room - 65 :thumb:

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #50 on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:41 pm »
I think there is no way that we could cheat ourselves.Right now while I am typing every thing shakes here but if I would tell you where I spend the $3000 to get this you most likely would not believe me.
So when,first you are talking about upgrade and second your limit is $3000 and third is the bass you must be admit that you most likely looking for the used one.When was the last time that you went to any dealer and saw a floor standing speakers with two 10" bass drivers from any brand under $10,000?
Now why you do not want to try this.Go to few dealers or shows and try to listen to some speakers like yours and listen to some big towers and make sure to let them know that if they are using any power conditoner you would like to turn it off.
So what do you think now? :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #51 on: 25 Feb 2011, 09:02 pm »

james

Yeah, doesn't look very spacious... is this on your boat?

Nap.  :o

werd

« Reply #52 on: 25 Feb 2011, 09:27 pm »

james

Hi

Where do you rank the source James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 25 Feb 2011, 09:34 pm »
Hi

Well lets see - 65 on the room and 50 on the speakers - gee's I'm 15 in the hole already :duh:

james

vvv

« Reply #54 on: 25 Feb 2011, 10:01 pm »

james

I agree, James !
The room is extremely important.
The pictures included in my post are from customers of WSDG (acoustic treatment), confer www.wsdg.com (choose Portfolio on the site to see lots of more customer pictures).

betamax

« Reply #55 on: 25 Feb 2011, 11:33 pm »
Quote from: audioman999
am looking for recommendations on highest level of improvement for the money.

Speakers. Get some used PMC's and never look back. When you have more cash to spend, then get the Torus.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 25 Feb 2011, 11:44 pm »
Hi

Hi werd,

I have always felt 'crap in - crap out' so I would place the source very high on the fidelity scale.

james

Levi

« Reply #57 on: 26 Feb 2011, 01:24 am »
Not all amps are designed to take power from the wall (even dedicated). I am sure some are. I know the newer Bryston 14/7B and up are better suited for wall use. I am just saying it would a great little tool for you since you go through lots of amps. Some would do fine out of the wall and some would need the power recovery..... thats all.

I do agree with him on this.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #58 on: 26 Feb 2011, 05:15 am »
Hi werd,

I have always felt 'crap in - crap out' so I would place the source very high on the fidelity scale.

james

Yes i would to. The source importance seems to go unappreciated and yet  drives the entire vinyl market.    :scratch:

JustAudio

« Reply #59 on: 26 Feb 2011, 09:51 am »
Hi all, hope its ok if I tag on this thread as I have some questions on upgrading my system as well.

My system as follows: project tt, bryston bp 25, 14b sst and thiel 2.4.

I have an offer to change my 3 year old thiel 2.4 to a 1 year old pmc ob1i for $2000. Would you think this is a good upgrade or would I be better off keeping the thiels and the $2k? Thanks much for your feedback. I have heard the pmc ob1i and love it, but I am not able to make a direct comparison between the ob1i and thiels in the same setup.