Who here is NOT a football fan?

Pez

Who here is NOT a football fan?
« on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:42 pm »
Am I the only one? Does it make me un-American? Do you guys think less of me? I always feel very much like an outcast on super bowl Sunday.  :icon_lol: got nothing against the sport, just don't have an appreciation that's all.

ctviggen

Re: Who here is NOT a football fan?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:48 pm »
I watch basically no football, basketball, baseball, and very little of other sports.  Being from Pittsburgh, though, I'll likely watch part of this year's Super Bowl (though I probably won't watch all of it).

I think it only appears we're in the minority.  If you were to take a random sampling of the US population, I think you'd find the majority of people don't watch sports.  The Super Bowl may be different, however.  Even my wife likes the Super Bowl, mainly for the ads and camaraderie. 

HAITIMAN

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:50 pm »
Hockey is the only game in town.

loki1957

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:52 pm »
I haven't watched a game in 30 years or so

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:52 pm »
I've been a fan since I played Pee-Wee football starting around age 10.
If sports is not your thing it just means you have more time for audio    :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:55 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I like all sports as long as I don't have to watch it for more than 5 minutes.
Guy 13

decal

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:00 pm »
I watch college football,never cared for the pros(any sport) that much.I don't,and neither should Pez, feel "un-American".OTOH,my friends think I'm a communist because I don't like NASCAR!!!! :rotflmao:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:06 pm »
I'm with Decal on this one. I watch college but not the pros and I really like March Madness basketball. I record the games on my sky box and see them a day or so latter so I have to be careful not to "peak" at the outcome on the web. I grew up in Oklahoma where OU football was king. I have lived in the UK for 13 yrs and do enjoy watching Rugby but can't get into cricket

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:14 pm »
I don't watch football and I like long walks in the park, soft, furry animals, and crocheting little sweaters.  Yeah, right.  Com'on man, I understand the college vs pros deal, or even hockey over football (it's good to have an appreciation for the minor league sports), but do not under any circumstances admit to not watching or playing any sports without calling your manhood into question.  Nuf said.

gitarretyp

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:22 pm »
I don't watch football and I like long walks in the park, soft, furry animals, and crocheting little sweaters.  Yeah, right.  Com'on man, I understand the college vs pros deal, or even hockey over football (it's good to have an appreciation for the minor league sports), but do not under any circumstances admit to not watching or playing any sports without calling your manhood into question.  Nuf said.

Hm, I do like long walks in the park and soft, furry animals and am quite comfortable admitting I do not enjoy watching any organized sport, including car racing.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:51 pm »
Except for the Notre Dame, the ACC and few others, I don't watch too much Div 1 college football.  I find the mid majors more entertaining, and I don't like the SEC or NASCAR which have pretty much common roots :lol:.  I may be the only guy on AC who watches lacrosse on TV, but where I grew up it was king.

I do attend high school and Div II college football games where I prowl the sidelines with a camera, and provide photos to the school.  IT is the best seat in the house, and the chance of getting run over is part of the fun!    :duh:

Basketball?  The pros never, but I will watch the Terps on occasion, and the severe underdogs in the NCAA, like George Mason a few years back.
I am as likely to root against teams as I am for another.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:15 pm »
I watch a little regular season football, but not much.  I will catch some of the game today, but not going to a game day party or anything. 

I will also catch some of the golf broadcast.

I am already listening to headphones as my girls watch a movie, after we just cleared the snow again.

nodiak

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:33 pm »
Enjoyed pro sports when young in the 60's and 70's much more than what it's become in the over glamourising tradition of recent years. Didn't watch for 15+ years then got into it again a few years ago. I enjoy watching athleticism and tactics/strategy played out.
Can't handle the extraneous stuff of super bowl week but will enjoy the game.
I have total respect for anyone not susceptible to the disease. :green:

I actually wish there was more track and field on tv...

Photon46

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:41 pm »
I've watched less and less football as the years go by. This year I've watched no games at all. To me, the start of free agency was the beginning of the end of my interest. I don't need to recite the litany of evident examples of greed on the part of team owners, players, and networks for anyone to wonder why someone would grow jaded with the game. 

Charles Calkins

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:54 pm »
Even though I'm not a real big fan of pro football I'll probably watch the game. I said WATCH the game. Television will be on with no sound. Audio system be on and I'll be listening to great music. Weird!!!

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:54 pm »
Zero sports watching here. If it was not so windy today I would soon be departing on my annual screw-the-super-bowl bike ride.  Oh and screw the pre and post game shows also.  :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:58 pm »
Charlie,  What is your music preference while not listening to the super bowl?  I am not an opera fan but I could appreciate the juxtaposition.

Even though I'm not a real big fan of pro football I'll probably watch the game. I said WATCH the game. Television will be on with no sound. Audio system and I'll be listening to great music. Weird!!!

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

Bigfish

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:07 pm »
Even though I'm not a real big fan of pro football I'll probably watch the game. I said WATCH the game. Television will be on with no sound. Audio system be on and I'll be listening to great music. Weird!!!

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

Well, I am a big fan of Pro Football and I will likely do the same thing.  I have a hard time listening to the talking heads explain to me what I just saw take place.  With replays I do not need their constant dumb explanations!

Ken

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:41 pm »
Am I the only one? Does it make me un-American? Do you guys think less of me? I always feel very much like an outcast on super bowl Sunday.  :icon_lol: got nothing against the sport, just don't have an appreciation that's all.

Hey Jason,

No. No. No. To answer your questions.

Curious though, as to whether those who are not into watching sports, did not play and/or participate in competitive sports? Wonder if there is a correlation and what it would approximately be?

I was very active, on more of a generalist level, in a number of high school and college sports. So my correlation would be zero or one, depending on how you define the correlation.

As for me, I am a Football fan. Actually a fan of quite a few sports, some of which are not as "big" in the US - like pro cycling, futbol, etc.

Sipping an amazing red (blend) from Australia and watching and listening to Fox Sports' coverage as I type. Looking forward to eight plus hours of football coverage today.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:45 pm »
None sports with ball are my favorite.

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.