Who here is NOT a football fan?

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Who here is NOT a football fan?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:13 pm »
w/no tv for the past 40 years, i don't watch much of anything... at least not if it's on tv!  8)

doug s.

sandbagger

« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:30 pm »
Nope not a football fan, although if someone give me tickets I will go to a game.

I think I caught about 5 min of the game last night, will go and watch the comercials and see how bad the 1/2time show was off of the tivo when I get home.

The only thing I watch is Hockey, and am a season tix holder, 15 rows off the ice for the Red Wings

bregez

« Reply #42 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:43 pm »
I played organized football a good part of my earlier years and enjoyed it, but don't really enjoy watching it.  I also like to go fishing but don't enjoy to watch fishing.

nathanm

« Reply #43 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:57 pm »
I have no interest in football, but I did watch the game just because the rest of my family is obsessed.  The difference between golf and football is weird.  They will watch golf as casual observers of athletes and it will be entertaining, but football equates to a deep, vicarious emotional investment involving complaining about what every player is doing or not doing, complaining about the TV production, the sound...I just don't get it.  It would seem to be a form of masochism or torture; to fully invest your emotions in events which you have ZERO control of.

Unfortunately I am susceptible to this emotional investment myself, but just a taste of it.  I have to watch myself and make sure to not care too much about the outcome.  For the sake of my environment I was glad the Packers won.  As a spectacle I thought the superbowl game was pretty boring and the ending was totally anti-climactic. 

I did like the ad for whatever it was with all the old technology.  ("whatever it was" great branding, eh?)  Although large format cameras and record players don't seem that old school to me.  :P  On the whole none of them were all that funny, though.  It's hard to beat the simple mindless joy of a koala bear getting punched.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #44 on: 7 Feb 2011, 09:40 pm »
I played way too much football in high school and college to ever enjoy watching it.  Seeing the system from the inside just crushed my ability to enjoy watching it.

Turnandcough

« Reply #45 on: 7 Feb 2011, 11:51 pm »
Not at all during regular season. Super Bowl or Grey Cup only. Then I usually watch the first 5 min, lose interest, check out the half time show and come back for the last five minutes just so I'm not left out of the conversation at the water cooler the next day. 

I have a squirrel-like attention span and tend to prefer sports with more uninterrupted action such as boxing, hockey, tennis, etc. But only when it's really top level.

Needless to say - I've never managed to watch a baseball game from start to finish. 

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #46 on: 8 Feb 2011, 08:26 pm »
I am not a fan. I an 70 years old and had never actually watched a football game until Boise State played in the Fiesta Bowl. Even then I kind of watch while doing something else. 

jackman

« Reply #47 on: 8 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm »
I played way too much football in high school and college to ever enjoy watching it.  Seeing the system from the inside just crushed my ability to enjoy watching it.

Hey, I didn't know you played college football!  What position and school did you attend (if you don't mind me asking).  I played HS but was injured and unable to play after 2 knee surgeries.  My son will NEVER be allowed to play football if I have a say-so...unless he wants to be a kicker!  That would be cool with me.

Cheers,

Jack

JoshK

« Reply #48 on: 8 Feb 2011, 08:47 pm »
I used to not watch any sports, but I recently got back into watching Football (college and NFL) but only at playoff level.  I've picked up watching Premier league Soccer as a hangover from getting really into the world cup.

My roomie is a rugby player (amateur, but organized).  I hang around the rugby players, but as of yet, I still cannot get into that game.

wushuliu

« Reply #49 on: 8 Feb 2011, 09:42 pm »
I've never been into it, but as a Big Black Guy(tm) it's pretty much the first thing people approach me about in random conversation be it elevator, on the street, etc. so I have made more of an effort as I've gotten older to understand the game more because ultimately if networking or in icebreaker situations it's what people assume I'll feel comfortable discussing. :? Personally I can't help but see the whole thing as a giant money-sucking machine ingeniously coordinated at every angle to convert competitive spirit into cash, down to the commercials.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #50 on: 9 Feb 2011, 02:07 am »
Maybe a reason to start watching:  "TESTOSTERONE LEVELS RISE IN FANS OF WINNING TEAMS".

"In both studies, testosterone levels increased about 20 percent in fans of winning teams and decreased about 20 percent in fans of losing teams."..."Testosterone is an androgen and is associated with increased sexual behavior"....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #51 on: 9 Feb 2011, 02:23 am »
Hey, I didn't know you played college football!  What position and school did you attend (if you don't mind me asking).  I played HS but was injured and unable to play after 2 knee surgeries.  My son will NEVER be allowed to play football if I have a say-so...unless he wants to be a kicker!  That would be cool with me.

Cheers,

Jack

Tight End and Placekicker in High School, but just placekicker in College.  Went to Angelo State University out in west Texas.