New JVC QL-Y5F.... advice on setup, mods etc...

harley52

Re: New JVC QL-Y5F.... advice on setup, mods etc...
« Reply #120 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm »
Any suggestions for a lush/warm sounding cartridge for the QL Y5F table? I'm not sure about the compliant rating for the cartridge, but the table has the standard arm it came with. I'd like to stay under $300.
Thanks

dlaloum

« Reply #121 on: 17 Jun 2013, 03:47 pm »
Shure M97xE, Grado with 8MZ stylus, Maybe a Nagaoka...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #122 on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:21 pm »
I think there's a difference between warm/lush and dull/lifeless, at least in my mind. 

Not sure if the Grado is a good match.  Isn't that a 16g arm?  If the Grado works with the damping you'll get great vocals and I think you can safely call it lush, warm, with big bass.

Nagaoka has a loyal following for similar reasons.  The MP200 has a boron cantilever for improved resolution.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP200.html

neo

JackD

« Reply #123 on: 17 Jun 2013, 06:07 pm »
The Grado's will play nice with any of the damped JVC's or Denon's. 

dlaloum

« Reply #124 on: 17 Jun 2013, 07:31 pm »
Yep, the grado on that arm work fine as long as the damping is on, turn off the damping and they do the dreaded grado dance...

Due to the damping the Shure can also be used without the brush engaged

jayparadigm

« Reply #125 on: 22 Jun 2013, 03:40 am »
I have finally taken the time to pack my plinth with Plasticine, nearly 8 pounds worth, with two dime size dots pressed onto the tonearm as well. The results have been amazing ! I am now turning my curiosity to tonearm modifications and possible future upgrades. The problem I have with upgrades is that I have never done such a thing and my questions are as follows :
1. Am I correct to assume that not just any tonearm will fit any TT ?? 
2. On an entry level budget, what type of tonearm is recommended to give me a substantial improvement ?

Jason

dlaloum

« Reply #126 on: 22 Jun 2013, 03:59 am »
The thing that makes the QL-Y5F exceptional is the electronically controlled arm... and the arm is integrated with the motor (being an automatic...)

So arm replacement is something I would very very strongly recommend against!!!

If you want to use a JVC DD motor and make your own plinth, fit an alternate arm etc... there were excellent motors put out by JVC for that purpose - and the JVC DD's really are very good.

Goldmund used a JVC motor for its reference I believe... - which I think was the first cost no object high end TT design...

Mild modding of the arm is certainly possible however - as you have found with the plasticine dots!

O rings on the arm are an alternative too - and if up for it, rewiring with internal damping in the tube is also a possibility...

bye for now

David

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #127 on: 22 Jun 2013, 11:13 am »
I have finally taken the time to pack my plinth with Plasticine, nearly 8 pounds worth, with two dime size dots pressed onto the tonearm as well. The results have been amazing ! I am now turning my curiosity to tonearm modifications and possible future upgrades. The problem I have with upgrades is that I have never done such a thing and my questions are as follows :
1. Am I correct to assume that not just any tonearm will fit any TT ?? 
2. On an entry level budget, what type of tonearm is recommended to give me a substantial improvement ?
Jason

Hi Jason,

1) Assuming you keep the original mounting hole, that is correct.  The arm would have to have the same mounting distance or very close, and the hole might have to be modified for the new arm.  You would also need to disconnect the automatic electromechanical functions from the existing arm.  You could modify the plinth to use an armboard which would allow for different arm substitutions.

2) IMO there is no arm on an entry level budget that will give you a substantial improvement.

A few posts ago you mentioned that your cart isn't an ideal match with the arm.  Is this the reason for your questions and is it still the Grado Green?
A more practical approach might be to upgrade the cart.  Are you growing dissatisfied with the performance or is it that you suspect it could be better with a more appropriate arm?
neo

jayparadigm

« Reply #128 on: 22 Jun 2013, 04:08 pm »
I just suspect that there is more left in it waiting to come out. Im enjoying trying different things and hearing the reults. I believe this is the table Ill be keeping for some time and so far with the cost of the Plasticine, Im only into it for $140, so I have some room to play with it before Im at the point of no return. The plinth is a little rough around the edges and this unit wont fetch a premium dollar, so in the event that I one day decide to sell it and replace with something else, Id like to be able to get my investment back.

Jason

mauroj

« Reply #129 on: 23 Jun 2013, 09:37 pm »
Currently, I am considering a Soundsmith Otello and MMP3 preamp for my QL-F6 as I am not thrilled with my DL110. I find the quality control on this cart to be poor. I have had 3 of them so far and all have had a cantilever that skews off to one side, making perfect alignment impossible with the stock headshell on the S arm. On the positive side, I have over 12 pounds of plasticine in my plinth which has helped immensely with resonance. I never would have thought I could fit that much in there. It was extremely fun and now very colorful inside my TT.

mauroj

« Reply #130 on: 23 Jun 2013, 09:44 pm »
Hi, and welcome to the vinyl circle, stepladder to audio ecstasy.
Your wish is our command, for now.  Threads die out when there's nothing more to say or nobody can think of anything else. 

Wasn't that a great explanation by David, of compliance?  Any questions?
Make yourself comfy and don't hesitate to ask.  The only dumb question is one not asked.
neo

Thanks neo.

I am happy this thread is back up and running. I love these sites because there is so much to learn, but i do get tired of hearing constantly about the SL1200 all day every day. I love my JVC and would not trade it for anything. But, I do want to get the most out of it and this thread has helped a lot.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Jeremy