World Championship Boxing

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: World Championship Boxing
« Reply #40 on: 2 Dec 2010, 06:23 am »
Cool fact regarding Manny Pacquiao: 

He has more wins in Dallas Stadium this year than the Cowboys.

:o   :lol:

Have fun,
Jerry

JackD201

« Reply #41 on: 2 Dec 2010, 08:06 am »
Jack, you sound like you really know boxing and I really hope you are correct, but I think you might be underestimating PBF.  I can't stand Floyd but he's a pretty tough guy, and very smart fighter.  I know Floyd was much bigger but he put a beating on JMM while he put on a boxing clinic.  Slick boxing is in Floyd's DNA (along with domestic violence against women) and he is a very strong puncher with blinding speed.  I love Manny and would be camped in front of a TV if he were to fight Floyd but it will take Manny's best effort to defeat Mayweather (assuming Floyd comes in focused and in shape). 

I don't know if you have been following the news but it sounds like Pretty Boy has more to worry about than a fight with the tough little guy from the Phillipines...it seems the Mayweather "men" like to practice their boxing on the ladies and Floyd is facing 34 years unless he gets his girlfriend to testify that she lied to police about the beating she received from him.  This guy is a punk and I hope Pacquaio knocks him out...out of the ring...out of boxing completely! 

Cheers,

J

Oh, I'm not underestimating him at all. In fact he's the guy I fear most put up against Pac.

Let's just say what I wrote was my "wishful" forecast. The other side of the coin is that he can make Pac's unconventional style look awkward. If neither can connect convincingly, I think that would tilt the judges cards in PBF's favor considerably, even with even power punch stats.

jackman

« Reply #42 on: 2 Dec 2010, 02:43 pm »
Oh, I'm not underestimating him at all. In fact he's the guy I fear most put up against Pac.

Let's just say what I wrote was my "wishful" forecast. The other side of the coin is that he can make Pac's unconventional style look awkward. If neither can connect convincingly, I think that would tilt the judges cards in PBF's favor considerably, even with even power punch stats.

I don't disagree with you but the thought of your last comment coming true sickens me.  I would hate to see a valiant warrior like Manny come up on the short end of a bad decision against a guy who runs away from him all night.  I don't think that's going to happen.  Manny can throw more punches than anyone I've seen.  His punch output is like a lighter weight fighter with the power of a heavier guy.  The beating he put on Margharito was very impressive. 

Floyd won't stand and trade like Antonio did and he won't be as easy to find as Marquez.  Also, he's not known as a knockout puncher but, unless Floyd decides to run away all night, I don't see the fight going 12 rounds.  This will be one of the only fights (at least in recent memory), if it happens, where Manny would not have the hand-speed advantage.  Floyd has faster hand speed, moves his feet better and his harder to hit than anyone Manny has ever fought.  On the other side, Manny has more endurance and has an awkward style that should give PBF trouble.  I can't wait for this fight to happen!  It would totally suck if they never fight or if they fight five years from now when both are no longer at the top of their respective games. 

mjosef

Re: World Championship Boxing 2011
« Reply #43 on: 13 Mar 2011, 06:22 am »

Sergio is my pound 4 pound fighter.
 He is running out of good opponents fast.
He was fast, sharp and deadly tonight in wearing down and dispatching the undefeated (until now) Sergiy Dzinziruk.
Great fight.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #44 on: 25 Mar 2011, 06:28 pm »
HBO got two good ones comin up Saturday nite!

mjosef

« Reply #45 on: 25 Nov 2012, 05:17 am »
Wow, The Ghost vs Berto was one helluva blast, literally. They were blasting each other with total punishment all 12 rounds.
A rematch would be warranted!

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #46 on: 25 Nov 2012, 02:35 pm »
 :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #47 on: 25 Nov 2012, 03:00 pm »
I don't disagree with you but the thought of your last comment coming true sickens me.  I would hate to see a valiant warrior like Manny come up on the short end of a bad decision against a guy who runs away from him all night.  I don't think that's going to happen.  Manny can throw more punches than anyone I've seen.  His punch output is like a lighter weight fighter with the power of a heavier guy.  The beating he put on Margharito was very impressive. 

Floyd won't stand and trade like Antonio did and he won't be as easy to find as Marquez.  Also, he's not known as a knockout puncher but, unless Floyd decides to run away all night, I don't see the fight going 12 rounds.  This will be one of the only fights (at least in recent memory), if it happens, where Manny would not have the hand-speed advantage.  Floyd has faster hand speed, moves his feet better and his harder to hit than anyone Manny has ever fought.  On the other side, Manny has more endurance and has an awkward style that should give PBF trouble.  I can't wait for this fight to happen!  It would totally suck if they never fight or if they fight five years from now when both are no longer at the top of their respective games.

Why am I quoting a two year old post? Just to point out that two of the five years jackman was rightly concerned about have already passed with no visible progress in making Pacquiao-Mayweather. Floyd is now 36 and has clearly lost a step judging by the way Cotto was able to rough him up. Pacquiao looked good against Bradley but got robbed lost and I had the feeling that the Manny of 3 years ago would have TKO'd him, or at least busted him up to the point that it would have been impossible to rob him the way they did. Manny vs Marquez, will probably be a good fight- like watching a tape of a good fight for the 4th time.

No wonder boxing has difficulty getting the attention of sports fans anymore.

mjosef

« Reply #48 on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:41 pm »

Face of a beaten man.

jackman

« Reply #49 on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:56 pm »
I disagree.  Berto lost the fight but that's the face if a warrior.  There is no shame in losing, if you fight valiantly, as he did.  It took guts for this guy to take a tough fight like he did after a long layoff.  He took a lot of punishment, as did Gurrero, and both men should be commented for putting on a show of toughness and brutal inside fighting. 

Berto has fast hands and has he ability to move his feet pretty well, but he needs to learn some defense.  He's an aggressive fighter and was soundly beaten last night.  I'd like to see him move his head and box.  Brawling played right into Gurrero's strengths.

Still, I have to respect a guy who will go into an opponent's backyard and give his all for 12 rounds after being on the deck two times.

dB Cooper

« Reply #50 on: 26 Nov 2012, 02:18 am »
Oh, and WTF was Hatton thinking? After three years you take a tune up. You don't just jump right back in that tough.

mjosef

« Reply #51 on: 26 Nov 2012, 03:00 am »
I disagree.  Berto lost the fight but that's the face if a warrior.  There is no shame in losing, if you fight valiantly, as he did.

No one claims any shame in losing, losing can be an opportunity to learn and correct mistakes. However, a sore loser no one likes, and Berto was a sore loser last night. A true warrior would acknowledge when he is beaten, and address his own weakness.
WHat exactly are you 'disagreeing' with? My description of him as a 'beaten man'? Look at the fight again, cue to Berto's  position in  the final round when his corner says he need to bring it all, then pay attention to Berto's demeanor midway through the round...bell rings and he shuts down letting the Ghost wail on him...that's a sign of a beaten man.
When a boxer brings his biggest bombs and the opponent sucks it up and keeps coming, your psyche takes a licking. Like I said  a rematch would be great.

By the by, I was rooting for Berto... :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #52 on: 26 Nov 2012, 03:06 am »
I'm an HBO subscriber.  Could I have seen this fight for free?  Didn't know anything about it so I missed it.  Reckon it will be re-shown on HBO soon?  Any other suggestions about how a fella could see this other than on HBO in case it isn't?  Thanks.

mjosef

« Reply #53 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:47 am »
Yes Jim, it was a non PPV HBO fight. It should be replayed again mid week, Wed. or Thurs. Check  HBO schedule guide on their website. It was on again earlier today.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #54 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:54 am »
Thanks, Mj.  Will do.  Who's playing around in Brooklyn these days?

mjosef

« Reply #55 on: 26 Nov 2012, 05:21 am »
Saw Henry Threadgill Saturday night. Always someone good to see/hear.
Missed Vijay Iyer last month, I totally forgot that day.  :duh:
SAw Anthony Braxton couple months ago.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #56 on: 26 Nov 2012, 05:52 am »
Man, I miss live music.  My daughter bought me a ticket for my birthday to a Suzanne Vega appearance in a small club in February, I think.  Heard Bill Frizell there earlier in the year and that's about it.  Not much I wanna see and hear comes thru this berg of a city.

jackman

« Reply #57 on: 26 Nov 2012, 08:10 pm »
No one claims any shame in losing, losing can be an opportunity to learn and correct mistakes. However, a sore loser no one likes, and Berto was a sore loser last night. A true warrior would acknowledge when he is beaten, and address his own weakness.
WHat exactly are you 'disagreeing' with? My description of him as a 'beaten man'? Look at the fight again, cue to Berto's  position in  the final round when his corner says he need to bring it all, then pay attention to Berto's demeanor midway through the round...bell rings and he shuts down letting the Ghost wail on him...that's a sign of a beaten man.
When a boxer brings his biggest bombs and the opponent sucks it up and keeps coming, your psyche takes a licking. Like I said  a rematch would be great.

By the by, I was rooting for Berto... :thumb:

Have you ever watched an Arturo Gatti (RIP) fight?  He looked worse than Berto after every fight, win or lose.  I watched the fight and the post fight interview and have seen hundreds of post fight interviews.  The perspective of a boxer who is in a fight is often a lot different than a spectator.  The fight wasn't dirty but both guys were doing a lot of holding and hitting and hitting behind the head.  Berto was pissed, but I think the judges got this one right.  In fairness, the guy couldn't see out of his right eye for most of the fight and I'm not sure he could see out of either eye by the last couple rounds.  He fought a brave fight, albiet a stupid one because he didn't use his strenths to his advantage.  Lastly, I was happy to see Gurrerero win.  He's a good guy and I enjoy his style of fighting.  He's not a big puncher, doesn't have particularly fast hands or feet but he's got a lot of heart and is always willing to mix it up. 

I have more respect for guys like Berto than I do guys like Floyd or Roy Jones.  Too many fighters fight hand-picked opponents or hand selected "big names" who are past their prime.  Berto will fight anyone, so will Gurrero.   I just can't believe he fought such a tough guy after a long layoff.  Not smart, but brave. 

Also, I don't think Hatton picked the wrong opponent.  Senchenko is a guy who never beat anyone good, has pretty much fought a bunch of stiffs and unknowns in the Ukraine, and was recently knocked out (okay, it was a TKO) by soft hitting Paulie Malinaggi.  TKO'd by Paulie Malinaggi, in his backyard in the Ukraine????  Paulie is a decent fighter but if he beats you by TKO, you should get credited for two losses because he's not a guy who punches hard.  Hatton's biggest opponent was Father Time...and possibly all the food and blow he consumed during his "retirement".  I like the guy but hope Ricky retires for good this time. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #58 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:26 pm »
Saw a replay of Berto-Aguerrero last night.  Thanks.  Man, Aguerrero can take a punch and doesn't get discouraged.  Nice win for the man.  Time to get paid.

jackman

« Reply #59 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:30 pm »
I'd like to see Guerrero get a big money fight against Manny or even Floyd.  Not sure if has the skills to beat an elite fighter but he is a good guy and I'm sure it will be an entertaining fight.  He doesn't back down and takes a good punch.  Berto isn't a huge puncher these days but he connected on some big shots and Guerrero didn't flinch. 

A Guerrero Floyd/Manny fight is unlikely, so my second choices would be a matchup with Devin Alexander or Tim Bradley.   I hate Bradley's style and would like to see Guerrero take the fight to him.   This guy has paid his dues and someone should give him a fight for decent $$$.   Maybe if JMM beats Manny (highly unlikely but who knows?), a Guerrero Juan Manuel Marquez fight could be a possiblity. 

One last thing, I'm NOT a fan of countless re-matches and will not watch the fourth installment of Manny/JMM (except on replay!).  Nor do I care to see Floyd rematch anyone he has fought in recent years or fight another bum.  If guys like Floyd continue to Cherry-Pick, why are people stupid enough to give him their money?  There was a time when Floyd would fight anyone.  In his prime, I've never seen a better boxer but those days are gone.  He has become a guy who would rather beat women outside the ring than face tough men inside.