World Championship Boxing

jimdgoulding

Re: World Championship Boxing
« Reply #120 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:33 am »
Manny wants his 5th Marquez fight to be held in Asia.  Cites the high taxes he would pay in the US.

dB Cooper

« Reply #121 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:01 pm »
Plus it might be a little less embarrassing if he gets pole-axed again.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #122 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:18 pm »
I was totally impressed by the ageless master B Hop yesterday :notworthy:!  I usually don't enjoy fights with low action but with Hopkins there is always something going on.  It was amazing to see him shut down an aggressive volume puncher just with feints and sidesteps.  Amazing also to see  how he gets into guys heads.  They respect him and I think they are a bit worried before they get into the ring with him.  48 years old and he takes the young guys belt :duh:.  There might still be hope for me...

mjosef

« Reply #123 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm »
Yeah B-Hop looked very good last nite, outclassed the young Champ/belt-holder.
I just hope he wasn't challenging Ward there after the fight. Ward would send him to the trauma unit.  :lol:

jackman

« Reply #124 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm »
I pray to god, this clown Hopkins gets a fight with Ward.  Ward would have killed Bhop in his prime.  He'll just do it faster now.  Hopkins is in supreme shape for his age but he's a dirty fighter who beat a bum to get a "belt".  I will pay money to see him fight Ward. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #125 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:09 am »
I was impressed with Hopkins, too, but I thought the other guy had a poor game plan. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #126 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:39 am »
I was impressed with Hopkins, too, but I thought the other guy had a poor game plan.

Cloud only fights one way.  He is the bull.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #127 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:45 am »
I pray to god, this clown Hopkins gets a fight with Ward.  Ward would have killed Bhop in his prime.  He'll just do it faster now.  Hopkins is in supreme shape for his age but he's a dirty fighter who beat a bum to get a "belt".  I will pay money to see him fight Ward.
Bernard doesn't want to fight Ward.  Ward versus Bernard with both in their prime would have been an interesting fight.  Two really smart fighters.  In Ward's own words Hopkins v Ward would be the Teacher v the Student.

Cloud is one dimensional but that is one tough assed dimension.  He is rated top five among light heavyweights by just about everybody.  Dominating this guy is a very real accomplishment for any boxer.  More so for a 48 year old.

I remember once Larry Merchant grilling Hopkins on some of the dirty stuff,  Hopkins answered:  "that's why they call it a fight Larry".

jimdgoulding

« Reply #128 on: 11 Mar 2013, 01:12 am »
Bernard doesn't want to fight Ward.  Ward versus Bernard with both in their prime would have been an interesting fight.  Two really smart fighters.  In Ward's own words Hopkins v Ward would be the Teacher v the Student.

Cloud is one dimensional but that is one tough assed dimension.  He is rated top five among light heavyweights by just about everybody.  Dominating this guy is a very real accomplishment for any boxer.  More so for a 48 year old.

I remember once Larry Merchant grilling Hopkins on some of the dirty stuff,  Hopkins answered:  "that's why they call it a fight Larry".
:thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #129 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:36 pm »
I like Hopkins but wish he would retire. The fact that he can still compete- even against carefully picked opponents- at his age is impressive (although when he miscalculates that, as against Calzaghe or Dawson, it doesn't work out so well.) Eventually this will happen against an opponent who can and will really hurt him, that his mind will write a check his body can't cash. But he says he plans to fight another five years and the odds of that go up with every fight.

I want to see him retire and become one of the best cornermen in history.

Fortunately (for Hopkins) both he and Ward have shown little interest in fighting each other.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #130 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:40 pm »
I agree that Bernard picks some opponents but he also likes to take on a challenge (something Floyd doesn't do).  I don't think Hopkins had any illusions about Calzaghe and Dawson, he is too smart for that.  Even though Pascal and Pavlik where perfect for Hopkins but they were also both undisputed champs in their divisions.  I would like to see Mayweather take on that quality of opposition...

jackman

« Reply #131 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:42 pm »
Even though I've been very critical of Hopkins because of his dirty tactics, I never doubted his toughness.  Also, I'm confident Bernard would fight anyone if the money was right.  He's smart enough to be able to fight anyone in the light-heavy weight class and avoid major punishment.  He probably can't beat the big names at this stage of his career but he's a genetic freak and an inspiration to the rest of us "younger guys".   He knows how to fight and to protect himself.  I remember when 38 year olds were too old for boxing (except George when he was doing his thing).  To do it at B-Hop's age is something you may never see again.  James Toney is another guy who could fight anyone, even out of shape, and even if he couldn't win, he knows how to fight well enough to not get hurt. 

Also, unlike Floyd, Bernard is not claiming to be the greatest PFP, and talking trash.  He puts on his act to promote his fights but he's a pretty smart guy who is a good family man and, from what I hear, an astute financial planner.  I suspect ten years from now, Bernard will still have money to live on, while Pretty Boy Floyd will be broke like Tyson.  Another wife-beating punk. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #132 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:08 am »
jackman: Agree about Floyd, by many accounts it was money problems that lured him out of retirement a couple years ago (that and/or his gigantic ego being unable to deal with the amount of attention Pacquiao was getting at the time). Anybody who beats a woman gets no respect from me.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #133 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:53 am »
I was just going over Hopkins record and it is ridiculous.  In a good way.  Since he turned 40 in 2005 Hopkins fought Jermain Taylor, Antonio Tarver, Winky Wright, Joe Calzaghe, Kelly Pavlik, Jean Pascal, Chad Dawson and Tavoris Cloud ( I left out RJJ and Enrique Ornelas).  He fought Taylor and Pascal twice.  Most of those were for belts or the Ring Magazine title.  The only fight he lost convincingly is to Dawson and he never took much punishment. That is nuts.

mjosef

« Reply #134 on: 17 Mar 2013, 01:47 am »
Tonight...

I am kinda leaning towards Provodnikov in this match up, he is one tough fighter. This is a good test for Bradley.

dB Cooper

« Reply #135 on: 17 Mar 2013, 02:16 am »
I hope you're right. While I consider Bradley a good fighter, I also consider him a paper champ. Only worse decision I ever saw was Whitaker vs Chavez. Here's hoping he loses.

vortrex

« Reply #136 on: 17 Mar 2013, 09:23 am »
what a fight, unbelievable.  I think ruslan won it.  bradley was literally unconscious on his feet several times.  the ref also missed an obvious knockdown in round 1.  funny how he didn't call it a knockdown and when bradley tried to stand up he was flopping around like a fish on the canvas!  can't wait to see ruslan fight again, so much power.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #137 on: 17 Mar 2013, 02:19 pm »
It was a good fight.  I am not sure what to conclude though.  Provodnikov was ranked 10 by Ring Magazine at light welterweight and has been less than impressive at that weight with a notable loss against Mauricio Herrera (right, who?).  Bradley was lucky to walk away with a win against this guy and got clocked to his big noggin way too easily.  Rusty?  Or  did he want to prove himself and win fans after the Pacquiao fight by going toe to toe?  He showed a lot of heart but to me this is a second undeserved win in a row.  I would like him better if the judges had given him two loses.

This might sound cruel but I was glad to see Bradley saying, in the lead up to the fight, that he has gotten nothing but grief from his win over Pacquiao and wishes he had lost.  Had he said that he thought he lost the fight but the judges gave it to him I would be a fan.  He seems to think he won though and most fans don't accept that.  I don't think this last fight will have redeemed him in the eyes of fans...
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2013, 04:57 pm by django11 »

Jumpin

« Reply #138 on: 17 Mar 2013, 03:10 pm »
I stumbled on to the fight in the 2nd round.  Could not stop watching it the whole rest of the way.  Amazing fight.  I think Bradley was beat, but by the scoring rules, with each round being scored seperately, Bradley gets the win.

jackman

« Reply #139 on: 17 Mar 2013, 03:19 pm »
Finally, Bradley has an entertaining fight.  Too bad he lost, IMO, and walked away with a decision.   Bradley also showed why he doesn't try to trade punches because he doesn't have a good punch, but he's got a good chin.  Dual an hit him with some big shots and he stayed upright for the most part.  I still can't believe the ref didn't call that a knockdown in the  first round.  Bradley was out on his feet but it was technically a push that caused him to hit the canvass.

Ruslan is a good fighter, a tough guy, but he needs to learn how to finish a guy in trouble.  He wasted a lot of energy throwing wild shots and letting Bradley clutch when he was in trouble.   If Ruslan had pushed Bradley and set up his shots, when he had him in trouble, I think he could have finished him off.  Also, he got Bradley in trouble with single shots.   I was hoping to see some combos when he had him hurt. 

Even though Bradley lost in my opinion (or perhaps fought to a draw), he showed heart and the fight was exciting.  I'd like to see a rematch because these guys match up pretty well.  He's a smart fighter, and I'm happy to finally see him in an entertaining fight.

« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2013, 06:31 pm by jackman »