World Championship Boxing

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: World Championship Boxing
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:19 pm »
As I was watching the fight I was thinking that Williams drops his left hand a lot.  That was prophetic... :D

"This Saturday 27th is a triple header...Marquez vs. Katsidis, Berto vs. Freddie Hernandez and a lightweight bout."

That is a bit of a slight to Celestino Caballero who can't find  any dance partners at 122 and 126 so is moving to 130.  Caballero at 5'11" is a Paul Williams like freak of nature...

On the Spaddy front, I think Leo Dorin was robbed  against him...

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:46 pm »
As I was watching the fight I was thinking that Williams drops his left hand a lot.  That was prophetic... :D

"This Saturday 27th is a triple header...Marquez vs. Katsidis, Berto vs. Freddie Hernandez and a lightweight bout."

That is a bit of a slight to Celestino Caballero who can't find  any dance partners at 122 and 126 so is moving to 130.  Caballero at 5'11" is a Paul Williams like freak of nature...

On the Spaddy front, I think Leo Dorin was robbed  against him...

Yep, everyone has said that "hands drop" stuff about Williams since he started fighting.  He has bad technique but amazing physical skills and a freaky long body.  He was able to beat good fighters but he isn't going to beat the elite fighters unless he gets more disciplined about fundamentals.  This is easier said than done, unfortunately.  I also thought the first Williams fight could have gone either way.  Heck, I thought Pacquaio lost to Marquez twice, but I still think Manny has become a better fighter over the past three years. 

Marquez is starting to look like a great champion (one of the most underrated of all time) who has taken too much punishment over the years (and nearly 60 fights) and is starting to show the affects.  He looked like a slow, old man against Mayweather but I expect him to knock out Katsidis.  I do not like Katsidis because he strikes me as a guy who had a puffed up record and looks good against the "B" class but always gets his ass kicked when he goes up against a skilled fighter.  Marquez is old but skilled enough to beat this guy (at least that's what I'm hoping because I like Marquez and do not like Katsidis!). 

I recall that fight between Dorin/Spaddy and Paulie was lucky to get a draw (I believe that's how it ended).  I don't recall thinking anyone was robbed but I believe the fight was in Pittsburgh.  Dorin, who was at the end of his career, would have needed a knockout to win in Spad's backyard.  Either way, I hope Paulie stays on track and gets a chance to fight for a title, or at least gets a couple fights against name opponents. At 34 or 35, time is running out.   

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #22 on: 26 Nov 2010, 09:45 pm »
I'm kind of excited for Froch- Abraham.  That could be some caveman stuff... :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2010, 01:40 am »
Yeah, man, some good boxeo this weekend.

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:19 am »
I'd like to take back all of the bad things I said about Katsidis.  That guy lost the fight but earned my respect.  He's an Aussie version of Arturo Gatti and just needs to fight guys at his skill level.  Marquez outclassed him and I felt sorry for Katsidis taking that beating. 

There is no shame in losing...as long as a fighter performs with the courage that Katsidis displayed on Saturday night.  He is one tough dude who doesn't give up and seems like a good guy on top of it.  Katsidis is not an elite fighter when it comes to skills but he's got the heart of a lion.  His style is entertaining but if he continues to fight guys like Marquez at this weightclass, he will not last long.  It would be a shame because he is a very brave guy.  He doesn't have Gatti's power but his style is entertaining 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2010, 04:20 am »
I'd like to take back all of the bad things I said about Katsidis.  That guy lost the fight but earned my respect.  He's an Aussie version of Arturo Gatti and just needs to fight guys at his skill level.  Marquez outclassed him and I felt sorry for Katsidis taking that beating. 

There is no shame in losing...as long as a fighter performs with the courage that Katsidis displayed on Saturday night.  He is one tough dude who doesn't give up and seems like a good guy on top of it.  Katsidis is not an elite fighter when it comes to skills but he's got the heart of a lion.  His style is entertaining but if he continues to fight guys like Marquez at this weightclass, he will not last long.  It would be a shame because he is a very brave guy.  He doesn't have Gatti's power but his style is entertaining

You had to love how the ref was letting that Aussie throw all them right hook elbows. I have never seen such an obvious elbow follow thru in my life and they were getting to Marquez early on. Not too many fighters would have gotten up from that punch that Marquez went down on. To watch that punch in slow motion and the damage that it laid on Marquez is a solemn testament to the man's resolve & tuffness in getting back to his feet from it. And the same can be said for that Aussie who still found the resolve to dance around the ring while being 3/4 punch drunk and props to the ref for stopping it when he did. Out f*@ckin' standing fight!  :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2010, 04:50 am »
Jack and Sat-  I watched this at 8am my time.  Whoa, what a contest.  Those elbows I think you are refering to, Robin, where not striking the face of Marquez nor do I think they were intended to.  Rather he was trying to shorten up his right hand when he was in real close.  If he could have found more distance I think they would have been more effective.  Regardless, what a fight!  The thing about Manny P. is his footwork.  And his mental coordination, of course.  That will be Marquez undoing.  Manny will give him constant angles.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2010, 05:00 am »
Jack and Sat-  I watched this at 8am my time.  Whoa, what a contest.  Those elbows I think you are refering to, Robin, where not striking the face of Marquez nor do I think they were intended to.  Rather he was trying to shorten up his right hand when he was in real close.  If he could have found more distance I think they would have been more effective.  Regardless, what a fight!  The thing about Manny P. is his footwork.  And his mental coordination, of course.  That will be Marquez undoing.  Manny will give him constant angles.

Jim, I would recommend you watch them right hooks again in slow motion if you get the chance and see what I saw. His arm was so cocked, he was throwing Popeye shots.  :lol:  I loved it,,, that's old school.

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2010, 05:03 am »
I get a chance, I will.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2010, 05:15 am »
Tomorrow night, 12:45AMest on HBO.  :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:33 am »
I thought the thing with Katsidis' elbow was weird.  I just watched a bit and I think it might have been to shorten his punches too...  Although he may have landed a couple.  That was a great fight!  Katsidis is a blood and guts type a fighter (which I love).  What is amazing is that Marquez out did Katsidis at that type of fight.  Marquez is 37, that is really uncommon at the lower weight classes for someone to be elite for so long.  And Marquez fights like a kid!  Must be the urine drinking  :duh:...

If you didn't like that fight you don't like boxing.

Ward Bika didn't deliver too much excitement and neither did Froch-Abraham although Froch probably boxed his career best.     

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:16 pm »
Katsidis was tailor made for Marquez, even at 37 years old.  Katsidis has a poor defense, moderate hand speed and is always cominig forward.  He is a game fighter with a lot of heart but lacks the skills to compete with guys like Manny and Marquez.  Don't forget, Marquez is a Mexican fighter in the truest sense of the word.  He likes to mix it up but is a smart defensive fighter who throws every punch in the book...and throws them very accurately in combination.  Marquez also has some of the best recuperative powers I have seen, this side of Evander Hollifield.  You can knock him down but you can't knock him out.  A young Marquez would have finished the fight in a couple rounds, and I don't think Katsidis would have been vertical long enough to have landed that left that dropped Marquez - if the fight took place a couple years ago.  It was a more entertaining fight as a result!

Marquez had a tough time against Floyd because Mayweather is much faster, larger and moves his feet exceptionally well.  Floyd can move and punch as well as anyone I have ever seen.  Marquez spent most of the night chasing Baby Face around and not landing any good shots...all the while absorbing lots of shots from Floyd.  It was a boxing clinic, but one I hated watching because one of my favorite boxers was getting schooled by a punk (although a brilliantly skilled and gifted punk). 

They say styles make fights and Marquez/Pacquaio would still be very entertaining the third time around (even though I think Manny would win at the present time, especially if they fight at his current weight) because Manny likes to trade punches, and leaves himself open as a result.  He's not going to dance around and be "cute" like Floyd.  Don't get me wrong, Manny has MONSTER cardio, is extremely fast, has a very good punch and has become a very skilled fighter, but at heart, he is a fighter and is not afraid to duke it out.  That's what makes him such a pleasure to watch and that's why the third installment of the Manny/Marquez "series" would be fun to watch.  I just hope Manny has enough gas left in the tank when he faces Pretty Boy Floyd.

Lastly, I thought the Katsidis fight was clean and that his elbow throwing was an optical illusion caused by the angle of his arm throwing an awkward punch.  If he was hitting Marquez (a guy who learned his craft in Mexico) illegally, you would have seen similar tactics from JMM.  Also, Marquez's face looked pretty good after the fight (he is highly susceptable to cuts) and elbows to the head would have opened him up.  Outside of a couple unintentional low blows by Marquez, the fight appeared to be clean. 

Rapt

« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:29 am »
Did you guys see the t-shirts that Marquez and his entourage were wearing before the Katsidis fights  :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:20 am »
Katsidis was tailor made for Marquez, even at 37 years old.  Katsidis has a poor defense, moderate hand speed and is always cominig forward.  He is a game fighter with a lot of heart but lacks the skills to compete with guys like Manny and Marquez.  Don't forget, Marquez is a Mexican fighter in the truest sense of the word.  He likes to mix it up but is a smart defensive fighter who throws every punch in the book...and throws them very accurately in combination.  Marquez also has some of the best recuperative powers I have seen, this side of Evander Hollifield.  You can knock him down but you can't knock him out.  A young Marquez would have finished the fight in a couple rounds, and I don't think Katsidis would have been vertical long enough to have landed that left that dropped Marquez - if the fight took place a couple years ago.  It was a more entertaining fight as a result!

Marquez had a tough time against Floyd because Mayweather is much faster, larger and moves his feet exceptionally well.  Floyd can move and punch as well as anyone I have ever seen.  Marquez spent most of the night chasing Baby Face around and not landing any good shots...all the while absorbing lots of shots from Floyd.  It was a boxing clinic, but one I hated watching because one of my favorite boxers was getting schooled by a punk (although a brilliantly skilled and gifted punk). 

They say styles make fights and Marquez/Pacquaio would still be very entertaining the third time around (even though I think Manny would win at the present time, especially if they fight at his current weight) because Manny likes to trade punches, and leaves himself open as a result.  He's not going to dance around and be "cute" like Floyd.  Don't get me wrong, Manny has MONSTER cardio, is extremely fast, has a very good punch and has become a very skilled fighter, but at heart, he is a fighter and is not afraid to duke it out.  That's what makes him such a pleasure to watch and that's why the third installment of the Manny/Marquez "series" would be fun to watch.  I just hope Manny has enough gas left in the tank when he faces Pretty Boy Floyd.

Lastly, I thought the Katsidis fight was clean and that his elbow throwing was an optical illusion caused by the angle of his arm throwing an awkward punch.  If he was hitting Marquez (a guy who learned his craft in Mexico) illegally, you would have seen similar tactics from JMM.  Also, Marquez's face looked pretty good after the fight (he is highly susceptable to cuts) and elbows to the head would have opened him up.  Outside of a couple unintentional low blows by Marquez, the fight appeared to be clean.
Yeah, Manny has that footspeed down, also, which will make him difficult for Marquez.  Nice post, mate.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #34 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:49 am »
I agree that Marquez does well against face first brawlers like Katsidis and Juan Diaz .  Still, in both those cases, against Katsidis and in the first Diaz  fight, he had to weather a hell of a storm to get the victory and that is impressive for a guy his age.

Marquez started out his career as a very un-Mexican boring counter puncher.  He only became must see tv since his win over Terdsak Jaendang ( who is now named Kokietgym).

We haven't seen Marquez against very mobile boxers in a long time with the exception of the Mayweather fight.  Floyd was to mobile and too big.  Size wise it was ridiculous, Marquez' punches, when he could hit Floyd, had no effect.   At 135 it may be a fight against Pacquiao, although I doubt Marquez can deal with Pacquiao's movement.  At 140 and especially at the 147 Roach is calling for it is a serious beatdown of Marquez that I probably don't want to watch.  Marquez has never been KO'ed, not even buy the ridiculously oversized Mayweather who hit him with clean shots.  Manny would probably end up doing as he did against Margarito and, out of pity, carry him the last couple of rounds...

jackman

« Reply #35 on: 1 Dec 2010, 01:41 pm »
I agree that Marquez does well against face first brawlers like Katsidis and Juan Diaz .  Still, in both those cases, against Katsidis and in the first Diaz  fight, he had to weather a hell of a storm to get the victory and that is impressive for a guy his age.

Marquez started out his career as a very un-Mexican boring counter puncher.  He only became must see tv since his win over Terdsak Jaendang ( who is now named Kokietgym).

We haven't seen Marquez against very mobile boxers in a long time with the exception of the Mayweather fight.  Floyd was to mobile and too big.  Size wise it was ridiculous, Marquez' punches, when he could hit Floyd, had no effect.   At 135 it may be a fight against Pacquiao, although I doubt Marquez can deal with Pacquiao's movement.  At 140 and especially at the 147 Roach is calling for it is a serious beatdown of Marquez that I probably don't want to watch.  Marquez has never been KO'ed, not even buy the ridiculously oversized Mayweather who hit him with clean shots.  Manny would probably end up doing as he did against Margarito and, out of pity, carry him the last couple of rounds...

Great post.  I agree with all of your points and would not want to see a Pacman/Marquez fight above 135 lbs.  I don't think Manny could get down to that weight.  Also, when Mayweather fought Marquez, Floyd was much larger than I expected and it was obvious Marquez didn't carry his punching power to the higher weight class.  I'm glad Marquez got the payday he wanted but the fight was not entertaining and he took a pretty good beating.  I've always felt a bit sorry for Marquez because he has been avoided by lots of big names through the years and never gets the credit he deserves.  Most casual fans will know him as the guy who lost to Manny, fought him to a draw in another fight and was beaten badly by Floyd.  That doesn't come close to telling the real story.

mjosef

« Reply #36 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:18 pm »

I have seen Caballero fight before, really don't like his style, too much flash. He ain't no 'Sweet Pea", not by a long shot. The young kid Jason did good, pressure pressure.

I was expecting to see more of Berto but his opponent was not at a similar level. He need to give up the lollypop thing, act his age.  :lol:

You can see it coming...Bang! Goodnite.

You can knock Marquez on his butt...but he just never quit.

The Greek/Aussie (Great?)just didn't have stamina to go 12...he did great for about 5-6 rounds...the way he lifts his elbow to get leverage for his short punches was really weird, never saw that before. Darn good fight.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #37 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:27 am »
I didn't see Litzau vs Caballero but was really surprised Caballero lost that fight.  I guess he lost the advantages he had at lower weight classes.

JackD201

« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:50 am »
IIRC when Marquez fought Mayweather, Mayweather didn't even make weight and had to pay a fine. One thing about Marquez is that he isn't only an excellent boxer, the guy has heart. This guy I respect, Floyd? I did once upon a time.

I'd like to see a Pac - Marquez fight to put matters at rest once and for all. It would have to be at 145 or 147. I don't think JMM would balk at this. I don't think he'd survive it either. That's Pac's comfort zone weight while JMM's is lower. When they fought twice before Pac didn't have the right hand he has now.

As for Floyd, I would agree he is a fantastic defensive boxer. You don't win fights on defense however at least IMO. You don't even win on total punches thrown and connected. Judges seem to look for the power shots comparisons. The rate at which Pac dishes them out per round will leave PBF bobbing and weaving and should he decide to finally exchange like he did in the second round with Mosley those PAC power shots will land just like Mosley's did. Mosely just didn't have the stamina to keep up the pressure. Pac doesn't have that problem. Pac just may make PBF look like a more graceful version of Joshua Clottey. All defense, no chance to attack.

jackman

« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2010, 06:03 am »
IIRC when Marquez fought Mayweather, Mayweather didn't even make weight and had to pay a fine. One thing about Marquez is that he isn't only an excellent boxer, the guy has heart. This guy I respect, Floyd? I did once upon a time.

I'd like to see a Pac - Marquez fight to put matters at rest once and for all. It would have to be at 145 or 147. I don't think JMM would balk at this. I don't think he'd survive it either. That's Pac's comfort zone weight while JMM's is lower. When they fought twice before Pac didn't have the right hand he has now.

As for Floyd, I would agree he is a fantastic defensive boxer. You don't win fights on defense however at least IMO. You don't even win on total punches thrown and connected. Judges seem to look for the power shots comparisons. The rate at which Pac dishes them out per round will leave PBF bobbing and weaving and should he decide to finally exchange like he did in the second round with Mosley those PAC power shots will land just like Mosley's did. Mosely just didn't have the stamina to keep up the pressure. Pac doesn't have that problem. Pac just may make PBF look like a more graceful version of Joshua Clottey. All defense, no chance to attack.

Jack, you sound like you really know boxing and I really hope you are correct, but I think you might be underestimating PBF.  I can't stand Floyd but he's a pretty tough guy, and very smart fighter.  I know Floyd was much bigger but he put a beating on JMM while he put on a boxing clinic.  Slick boxing is in Floyd's DNA (along with domestic violence against women) and he is a very strong puncher with blinding speed.  I love Manny and would be camped in front of a TV if he were to fight Floyd but it will take Manny's best effort to defeat Mayweather (assuming Floyd comes in focused and in shape). 

I don't know if you have been following the news but it sounds like Pretty Boy has more to worry about than a fight with the tough little guy from the Phillipines...it seems the Mayweather "men" like to practice their boxing on the ladies and Floyd is facing 34 years unless he gets his girlfriend to testify that she lied to police about the beating she received from him.  This guy is a punk and I hope Pacquaio knocks him out...out of the ring...out of boxing completely! 

Cheers,

J