Scotch!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #280 on: 23 Feb 2009, 08:15 pm »
Ok, guys need your help on this one.

There is a person we want to get a very nice gift for who likes single malt scotch, but none of us know exactly what he drinks or likes and we can't exactly go ask him.

We are willing to spend around $200 for a bottle...what should I be looking for?

I don't have any experience drinking up at this price point (outside of Johnny Walker Blue - which I know is not a single malt scotch), so I am looking for guidance.

Please get your suggestions in quickly as I need to buy this ASAP.

Thanks for your help.

George

arthurs

« Reply #281 on: 23 Feb 2009, 08:31 pm »
Someone gave me a bottle of Oban 18yr that I found really enjoyable...within your price range also...

Bigfish

« Reply #282 on: 23 Feb 2009, 08:31 pm »
George:

How about this one:

Macallan Fine Oak 21 Year Old Scotch

I have had there 10 and 12 year old vintages and found them to be very good.  I cannot imagine the rare 21 year old Macallan would not be fit for a King.  It is $200.00 or so for a fifth.

Good Luck,

Ken

mmurt

« Reply #283 on: 23 Feb 2009, 08:40 pm »
Caol Ila 25 wold be a good bet.  Around $180.00 in my local liquor store.  Also, just about anything in the "Cask Strength" collection from Signatory I have found excellent.  Pick one up for yourself!!

cryoparts

« Reply #284 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:09 pm »
Macallan Fine Oak 21 Year Old Scotch

My favorite "not insanely priced" Scotch.  Fantastic stuff.  A bit "lighter" tasting than the 12, 15 and even 18 year old Mac's.  Very complex with a great finish. 

Peace,

Lee

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #285 on: 24 Feb 2009, 09:38 pm »
Thanks for all your help guys.

A local store gave us a killer price on a bottle of Highland Park 25 and we went with that.

George

mgalusha

« Reply #286 on: 24 Feb 2009, 10:44 pm »
A local store gave us a killer price on a bottle of Highland Park 25 and we went with that.

That should be very nice. Just siphon off a few drams and send them over. ;)

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #287 on: 25 Feb 2009, 12:51 am »
www.wine-searcher.com

Throwing this website out there for anyone who does not know about it.  I have used it twice to find bottles of George T. Stagg and single malt Jack Daniels.  I am confident that it will help find any type of wine, spirit, tequila, etc. you could want.

ctviggen

« Reply #288 on: 6 Mar 2009, 04:25 pm »
Ok, guys need your help on this one.

There is a person we want to get a very nice gift for who likes single malt scotch, but none of us know exactly what he drinks or likes and we can't exactly go ask him.

We are willing to spend around $200 for a bottle...what should I be looking for?

I don't have any experience drinking up at this price point (outside of Johnny Walker Blue - which I know is not a single malt scotch), so I am looking for guidance.

Please get your suggestions in quickly as I need to buy this ASAP.

Thanks for your help.

George

George,

I'd try the Mac Replica stuff, if you can find it.  I just bought a 17 year old Mac Fine Oak, and I find it disappointing.  To me, it tastes like oak and has an intense alcohol flavor.   I would never buy it again.  On the other hand, my friend had some and rates it in the low 90s (I'd rate below 80, which is the minimum for "buy again").  However, even my friend says one of the Replicas is one of the best scotches he's ever tried (and he and I have had almost everything). 

stone deaf

« Reply #289 on: 14 Mar 2009, 06:14 pm »
I like most Scotch Whiskeys but the last several years I have enjoyed Dalwhinnie 15 year old the most. It's what I would call one of the lighter scotches with a very floral nose and not overly expensive at under $60. I remember when I could buy it for $40.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #290 on: 14 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm »
Visited the local grocery today for needed food items and some Chianti for our Italian red gravy on Sunday, there wine isle is very good. To my surprise also the fine single malt selection not noticed before. Picked up a Glenmorangie 15 Bourbon cask very reasonable. Checking out later on the tobacco and regular spirits counter there is left over Glenmorangie 10 gift packs including 2 scotch glasses. The liquor manager was there opened one and gave me the glasses thank you very much. I'm really enjoying the 10 year old i picked up a few weeks ago but think i will be molesting a 15 year old tonight with some nice classic rock and roll.
Mike

MaxCast

« Reply #291 on: 14 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm »
I don't care what kind it is, I'm drinkin' some tonight !

pardales

« Reply #292 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:05 am »
Technically it is an Irish Whisky, but I enjoy it as much as many Scotch Whisky's i've had. It is called REDBREAST. It is also reasonably priced at around $45 a bottle. Check it out  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #293 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:08 am »
I don't care what kind it is, I'm drinkin' some tonight !

I can't imagine why.... aa

Drink up!

George

Philistine

« Reply #294 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:25 am »
Technically it is an Irish Whisky, but I enjoy it as much as many Scotch Whisky's i've had. It is called REDBREAST. It is also reasonably priced at around $45 a bottle. Check it out  :thumb:

There's a lot of rivalry from the Scots directed at the Irish claiming to make Whisky, so, to differentiate the real thing from the impostor, the Irish equivalent is not Whisky but Whiskey :)

I used to have to go to a manufacturing plant in Scotland every month and, unfortunately, it was located close to one of the many distilleries that claimed to be the oldest in Scotland - Glenturret.

http://www.whisky.com/distilleries/glenturret_distillery.html

After many visits I became very accustomed to the taste  :wine:
It's worth a wee dram or two:

http://www.whiskyfun.com/Glenturret.html

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #295 on: 15 Mar 2009, 01:11 am »
AFAIC, there's only 1 whiskey and it ain't scotch :thumbdown:, it's canadian whiskey, the best of the best being Seagrams Crown Royal. :drool: I don't drink anymore myself but a few years back when I was drinking 5 fifths a week for 22 years w/o ever getting heartburn, there's simply nothing that can touch the smoothness & flavor than The Crown for this palete. I never had a drinking problem, I have a drinking love fest with the taste. But diabetes cut my love short and I'm not the type to "cut back". 1 drink for me would be like "pulling out" of the Playmate of The Year,,,, ain't gonna happen. :lol: So I quit straight up on August 27,2001 @ 2:30am but I haven't forgotten. I keep a sealed gallon of Crown Royal in a cradle on top of my Real Traps Bass Trap Table with a 10" light strip on her so I'll always remember the good ole' days. Alcoholics can't do that! :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

pardales

« Reply #296 on: 15 Mar 2009, 01:38 am »
AFAIC, there's only 1 whiskey and it ain't scotch :thumbdown:, it's canadian whiskey, the best of the best being Seagrams Crown Royal. :drool: I don't drink anymore myself but a few years back when I was drinking 5 fifths a week for 22 years w/o ever getting heartburn, there's simply nothing that can touch the smoothness & flavor than The Crown for this palete. I never had a drinking problem, I have a drinking love fest with the taste. But diabetes cut my love short and I'm not the type to "cut back". 1 drink for me would be like "pulling out" of the Playmate of The Year,,,, ain't gonna happen. :lol: So I quit straight up on August 27,2001 @ 2:30am but I haven't forgotten. I keep a sealed gallon of Crown Royal in a cradle on top of my Real Traps Bass Trap Table with a 10" light strip on her so I'll always remember the good ole' days. Alcoholics can't do that! :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Ahhhh........Crown Royal......yeah, one of the best for sure. Love it. Crown Royal Manhattan is a favorite in particular, but straight is fine too.

MaxCast

« Reply #297 on: 15 Mar 2009, 01:53 am »
Ha, that's what I'm drinkin'   Crown Royal

kgturner

« Reply #298 on: 22 Mar 2009, 09:22 pm »
i finished off my talisker sampler as well as my bottle of the glenrothes select reserve. i enjoyed the talisker very much, but the glenrothes was a big let down. never again. i picked up a bottle of laphroaig 10 year old. it reminds me a lot of the talisker with less of a peppery flavor. truth be told, i didn't care too much for talisker's pepperiness. i can definitely see myself buying more laphroaig in the future. especially since it's $40 cheaper than the 10 year old talisker and $60 cheaper than the 16 year old lagavulin. of course, i will probably splurge on the lagavulin 16 for my birthday this july. :D

kevin t

mmurt

« Reply #299 on: 30 Mar 2009, 08:22 pm »
Had a get together this past Saturday night with 2 friends to taste some of our new scotches.  Being tax refund time and all, we have all made some nice purchases.  This is the most memorable tasting I can remember

We started out with a 19 year old Signatory Cask Strength Collection of Highland Park....WOW this is there with the best I have ever had.  We then had a 28 yr old cask strength Dallas Duh from Douglas Laing.  We followed that up with Signatory Unchillfiltered Collections of a 1992 Coal Ila and a 6 year old Laphroiag then finished up the evening with Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist.

Between the 3 of us we have had 20 or so Signatory scotches and never have any of us been disappointed.  If you have a favorite scotch look for it in the Signatory version.  It presents a unique opportunity to taste that scotch in a more raw or unique profile to the standard version.  I have never had a Signatory version that I did not prefer to the standard.  With Signatory when they are gone they are gone.  They are like a great sunset but with no camera!

Enjoy, Mike