Scotch!!

acresm22

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #320 on: 22 Sep 2009, 09:15 pm »
Just recently had the Clynelish 14 yr old, and it was excellent. Don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread already, but highly recommended.

http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Bottles/Clynelish_EN.shtml

K Shep

« Reply #321 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:18 am »
I thought about Tyson as I passed a shop in San Francisco recently.  Outside they have a tricycle filled with Scotch tubes.

mgalusha

« Reply #322 on: 30 Sep 2009, 03:02 am »
I just recently tried this for the first time as well. There was a Scottish-Irish Highland festival in Estes Park Colorado a few weeks ago and my wife treated me to the Scotch tasting.  :thumb:

One of the ones I really enjoyed was the Clynelish 14yo. I also liked the Caol Ila very much. The event was sponsored by Diageo, so all the brands were theirs but I enjoyed the event a great deal and I was glad my wife was driving. :)

I had to buy a bottle of the Clynelish and the Caol Ila. I guess their strategy worked.

Just recently had the Clynelish 14 yr old, and it was excellent. Don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread already, but highly recommended.

http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Bottles/Clynelish_EN.shtml

cryoparts

« Reply #323 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:25 am »
I just wanted my 1000th post to be in a topic which is close to my heart!   :lol:

Peace,

Lee

pjchappy

« Reply #324 on: 25 Oct 2009, 07:14 pm »
Although not a single malt, my "go to" cheapish scotch has become (and has been for awhile now) Johnnie Walker Black.  Me likey. 

I haven't had the chance to try any of the more expensive JWs yet.

When I order scotch at a bar or restaurant, I always ask for a double "with just one ice cube."  It of course very slightly chills it and melts pretty quickly.  It "wakes it up" a bit, too. I would say about 70% of the time, I get slightly made fun of by the bartender or waiter/waitress.   :lol:

Paul

cryoparts

« Reply #325 on: 25 Oct 2009, 07:18 pm »
Tried a 12yo Glenmorangie "Port Wood Finish" last night--interesting little $50 bottle of scotch.  Worth a try, interesting finish, due to the port?

Had a Dalwhinnie Scotch 15 Year last weekend.  OK, had  little more of a bite than I would have liked.  Would probably opt for the Glenmorangie above next time I am in the market for a inexpensive bottle.

Peace,

Lee

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #326 on: 25 Oct 2009, 07:40 pm »
I can't edit the original post anymore for new updates, so I'll post here - The recent Distillery Bottled Ardmore (no age statement) is a winner!  In the same class as Highland Park as a great All-Rounder.  Not as sweet as HP, and a bit more peaty.  Great dram, and being priced in the $40's is just a bonus :)

cryoparts

« Reply #327 on: 25 Oct 2009, 07:54 pm »
I can't edit the original post anymore for new updates, so I'll post here - The recent Distillery Bottled Ardmore (no age statement) is a winner!  In the same class as Highland Park as a great All-Rounder.  Not as sweet as HP, and a bit more peaty.  Great dram, and being priced in the $40's is just a bonus :)

Nice, I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow!

Peace,

Lee

kgturner

« Reply #328 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:09 pm »
I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig Original Cask Strength yesterday. Looking foward to a nice relaxing weekend.

Kevin T

EthanH

« Reply #329 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:17 pm »
I had some Laphroaig 10 over the holidays and now have to pick up a bottle.  I really enjoyed it and would place it right up there with Lagavulin.  Now I can't wait to try Ardberg to see if I'd like that too.

I also had some Oban 14 which was okay but left me generally unimpressed.

kgturner

« Reply #330 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:59 pm »
The Laphroaig 10 is my "go to" Scotch. Granted, I haven't had a whole lot of different Scotches. The Lagavulin 16 was good, but I felt it was too dry for my palate. I only had a single glass of Ardbeg once, but wasn't impressed given the price of the bottle relative to Laphroaig. Talisker 10 is a very good Scotch and introduced me to the smokiness that so many enjoy. That'll probably be my next bottle to pick up.

Kevin T

Carlman

« Reply #331 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:18 am »
I had some Laphroaig 10 over the holidays and now have to pick up a bottle.  I really enjoyed it and would place it right up there with Lagavulin.  Now I can't wait to try Ardberg to see if I'd like that too.

I also had some Oban 14 which was okay but left me generally unimpressed.

I believe you like peaty whisky.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_whisky

Oban is not peaty... has some very subtle flavors that are accentuated or altered with foods, cigars, etc.  I like it quite a bit.  Macallan is similar but with a touch more peat.. Highland Park has a little more peat.. ...But if peat's the flavor you like, the Islay's are the ones to stick with for a while. 

If you ever want to try every flavor available in a whisky, try Yoichi from Japan, Nikka distillery.  It is like a perfectly timed flavor rainbow that flows over your tongue while you drink it.  I don't think you can get it in the US but you can import it through the UK.  It is an unforgettable experience to drink it.  This is a serious reference whisky for me.  It's tough to say which bottle to get.. I would suggest to buy the highest you can afford within their line. 

On a completely different/unrelated note.. I recently tried a surprisingly enjoyable whisky, Glenlivet Nadurra Natural Cask Strength, 16yr.  I normally do not care for Glenlivet... so I was surprised that I enjoyed it.

Have fun,
Carl

JohnR

« Reply #332 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:14 am »
I can't edit the original post anymore for new updates

Hm... actually, you should be able to... if not, please post in Notices and Support with specifics (e.g. what error message)

Thanks ;)

JohnR

Tyson

« Reply #333 on: 9 Jan 2010, 07:49 am »
When I try to update it, it tells me that I've exceeded the character limit.

JohnR

« Reply #334 on: 9 Jan 2010, 11:25 am »
When I try to update it, it tells me that I've exceeded the character limit.

Ah... OK, I've set the limit to 100,000 characters, ten times the previous limit. Your post is 60,000 currently so it should be fine for a while. Unfortunately this is a global setting and there is no way to set differently for different user groups.

Somewhat related - this thread is not visible to search engines, which is a real shame. pjchappy - can we make the Pub accessible to guests now?

Back on topic, thank you Tyson, very much, for your reviews and advice - I looked this thread up while out shopping - what a great resource. Lagavulin 16 was the choice for this trip.

Tyson

« Reply #335 on: 9 Jan 2010, 08:39 pm »
Sweet, that means I can update my Bourbon thread too!  Thanks John :)

Glad you like the reviews, I've started drinking a bit more scotch again, so more updates will be forthcoming!

pjchappy

« Reply #336 on: 9 Jan 2010, 11:11 pm »
The Pub is now Public!   :thumb:

Anyways, while not a scotch, i'm enjoying a bit of Bushmill's Irish whiskey, with just a splash of water.  For $22, it can't be beat!   :D

I enjoy its slightly apricot finish.

Paul

EthanH

« Reply #337 on: 14 Jan 2010, 04:19 pm »
Has anybody compared the Laphroaig 10 to the Laphroaig Quarter Cask?  I've had the 10 and like it but am thinking about trying out the Quarter Cask. 

Tyson

« Reply #338 on: 14 Jan 2010, 04:29 pm »
Yes, I like them about the same.  They are different, the quarter cask is less smooth, but more powerful.  If you can get the Cask Strength 10 year old, that's the best of the 3, IMO.

ctviggen

« Reply #339 on: 14 Jan 2010, 06:49 pm »
The cask strength is very, very good.  I can't compare the other two, though, because I had them a while ago.