Scotch!!

mgalusha

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #360 on: 15 Jul 2010, 08:36 pm »
Batch 1 Facts
ABV: 57.8%/115.6 proof
Batch Date: February 2007
Tasting Notes: A full blast of massive peat smoke and seashore salt leads to a fading sweetness at the finish.
Batch Quantity: 5,100 bottles
Availability: Wherever Cask Strength is sold.

That would be interesting to try. Last Saturday I was given a bottle (thanks Tyson!) of Lagavulin Distillers Edition, very nice indeed. I compared it to a "standard" 16yo Lagavulin and the DE was at a much higher level of refinement, at least for my palette.

Construct

« Reply #361 on: 15 Jul 2010, 08:57 pm »
I had some 12 year old/ Islay scotch with that smoked pete flavor.  Wasn't bad for the money.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #362 on: 15 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm »
I'm currently nursing along a bottle of Murray McDavid 1967 Springbank, it's marvelous.
My regular is the Balvenie Doublewood 12.  I've also enjoyed both Edradour, and Aberlour, the later of which I received as a gift from my father on my 21st birthday. It was a 1964 vintage, as am I, and I enjoyed that bottle of scotch for about 2 years. I still have the bottle and the wooden box it came in.

cryoparts

« Reply #363 on: 15 Jul 2010, 10:37 pm »
That would be interesting to try. Last Saturday I was given a bottle (thanks Tyson!) of Lagavulin Distillers Edition, very nice indeed. I compared it to a "standard" 16yo Lagavulin and the DE was at a much higher level of refinement, at least for my palette.

The 1993 Distillers Edition?  Oh, man, that stuff is world class.  After the first sip, I went and bought a couple more bottles.  Much sweeter than any Lagavulin I've had, (and I've tried to find a bottle of everything Laphraoig and Lagavulin that makes it to the US), just heavenly. 

Here are some notes I took on it:

Nose:
Medicinal/Iodine
Peat
Smoke
Black Licorice
Hint of fruit

Taste:
Sweet
Fruity--almost like a iced grape wine taste
Medicinal/Iodine
Smoke
Pear
Smooth mouthfeel, not aggressive at all
Cinnamon/Anise
Licorice
Chocolate
Nutty
Long finish

Very complex, I LOVE it.  It is an outstanding whiskey.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #364 on: 15 Jul 2010, 10:45 pm »
Has anybody compared the Laphroaig 10 to the Laphroaig Quarter Cask?  I've had the 10 and like it but am thinking about trying out the Quarter Cask.

I know, old post...

I prefer the quarter cask, not quite as medicinal as the 10.

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #365 on: 15 Jul 2010, 10:46 pm »

Another great Japanese is Yamazaki.  Very much as you described the Yoichi in the flavor department--one thing after another with a long aftertaste.  It's a little rough as far as burn goes, but otherwise incredible.

Dan,

I have the Yamazaki 12 and 18, but cannot find the Yoichi anywhere.  Where did you get yours, if you don't minds sharing the info?

Peace,

LEe

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #366 on: 16 Jul 2010, 12:06 am »
I think it was Tokyo Station, but don't remember exactly.  Somewhere in Tokyo. :scratch:

mgalusha

« Reply #367 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:03 am »
The 1993 Distillers Edition?  Oh, man, that stuff is world class.  After the first sip, I went and bought a couple more bottles.  Much sweeter than any Lagavulin I've had, (and I've tried to find a bottle of everything Laphraoig and Lagavulin that makes it to the US), just heavenly. 

Lee, yes it is the 1993 Distillers Edition. I agree, it is lovely. Thankfully I just started the bottle so it will be around a while as I don't drink it very quickly and I have others that I like very much to switch off with.

mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #368 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:13 am »
I'm glad to the see the love for the Lagavulin DE!  IMO it's one of the very best scotches I've had in the last 2 years.

I picked up the Talisker DE recently, and after working through about a third of the bottle, I have to say it's pretty disappointing.  I've had most of the DE bottlings from the various distilleries at this point all of them have been a letdown, except for the Lagavulin.  Of course, the Lagavulin DE is so good, it makes up for all the rest!

cryoparts

« Reply #369 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:17 am »
I think it was Tokyo Station, but don't remember exactly.  Somewhere in Tokyo. :scratch:

Ah...that explains it.  It is really hard to find here in the US.  Someday I'll find a bottle!

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #370 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:27 am »
Ah...that explains it.  It is really hard to find here in the US.  Someday I'll find a bottle!

Peace,

Lee

Yeah, the Lagavulin DE is fantastic!  I think I'll have a dram right after I finish the wee dram of Laphroiag 15 sitting in front of me (which I had to take a road trip to find today--got the last three bottles in the state!)

I actually like the Talisiker DE very much, I have the 1998 distilled 2009 bottled, is that the same you have?  However, I've never met a Talisker I haven't liked, so I have a predisposition to liking it.

If any of you live in States that can have liquor shipped into (consider yourself fortunate, first off...), or live in/around San Francisco, pick up a bottle of the Highland Park 19yo (distilled in 86, bottled 2005, cask #2498) at Beltramo's.  Apparently, their buyer specially selected a cask and had it bottled for them.  Crazy good.  World class, and relatively inexpensive at ~$120.

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #371 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:29 am »
Lee, yes it is the 1993 Distillers Edition. I agree, it is lovely. Thankfully I just started the bottle so it will be around a while as I don't drink it very quickly and I have others that I like very much to switch off with.

mike

Enjoy every dram.  In fact, go grab other bottle as backup, ha!

Peace,

Lee

Construct

« Reply #372 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:47 am »
If you got it in Tokyo it probably cost as much as an audio note amp.

cryoparts

« Reply #373 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:49 am »
If you got it in Tokyo it probably cost as much as an audio note amp.

Ha!  It's a Japanese single malt, so it's probably actually cheaper there.

Peace,

Lee

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #374 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:04 am »
I think the bottle was around $35 at the previous exchange rate.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #375 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:08 am »
Pint's (a local scotch bar) has Yoichi, but it's $20 per shot.  I'll try it eventually, but so many other interesting things are on the list too....

Construct

« Reply #376 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:12 am »
I think the bottle was around $35 at the previous exchange rate.
Oh, that's dirt cheap for good scotch.

santacore

« Reply #377 on: 16 Jul 2010, 04:17 am »
Just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta. It's a little on the sweet side, but still very enjoyable. In fact, I think I might pour one now. :green:

ctviggen

« Reply #378 on: 16 Jul 2010, 11:00 am »
I'm glad to the see the love for the Lagavulin DE!  IMO it's one of the very best scotches I've had in the last 2 years.

I picked up the Talisker DE recently, and after working through about a third of the bottle, I have to say it's pretty disappointing.  I've had most of the DE bottlings from the various distilleries at this point all of them have been a letdown, except for the Lagavulin.  Of course, the Lagavulin DE is so good, it makes up for all the rest!

I've tried all the DEs and the "only" one I thought worthwhile was the Laga.  That might be better than the Laga 16, but I didn't have the two at the same time to test.  I say "only" because some of the other DEs (Glenkinchie -- sp?, etc.) I've never had the original. 

Currently, I have Cardhu 12 yo.  This supposedly forms the basis for JW black and other JWs.  Personally, had I known Michael Jackson rated it a 72, I wouldn't have bought it.  He was right.  It's an unremarkable whiskey and JW Black tastes better and is cheaper. 

Scott F.

« Reply #379 on: 23 Jul 2010, 12:22 am »
Just saw this story hit the press....

Just over a century ago, these whiskey crates were stored beneath the floor of a hut built by British explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton during his 1908 Antarctic expedition.

Apparently these crates of whiskey were discovered in 2006 by an Antarctic Heritage Trust team that was restoring the explorer's hut but they were buried too deep in the ice to get them out.

the AP story

Pretty cool find  :thumb: