2 x 4B SST2 Bi-Amped or 2 x 7B SST2?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: 2 x 4B SST2 Bi-Amped or 2 x 7B SST2?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2010, 06:22 pm »
This is exactly what another dealer said to me as he'd rather stay passive due to its simplicity, it's easier to live with as its basically plug and play and he also said that if you get any problems in the future it is easier to pin point as there are less components in the mix.

I guess this is what I'm trying to establish, is active going to be a big step up against passive as I do like the simplicity of passive if i'm honest.

A most difficult decision for sure. The 28B SST² amplifier can let you enjoy the delicacy or extreme insanity of your music - period. The power of these beasties are very refined but also insane and they can make your speakers “stand on their heads” metaphorically speaking of course. You will have power to spare, mine tested out at over 1200 watts.

Be well…

Vipers

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:31 pm »
Just thought I'd update this post.

I've sold my 5 month old 4B SST2 (could regret this one day) and my 10 month old PMC EB1i's and decided to stay passive for now with 2 x 7B SST2 (on a boat at the moment somewhere heading towards the UK) and a pair of PMC MB2i's, can't wait to get these babies singing  :D

Thanks to everyone for their contributions in helping me make this decision  :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #22 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:49 am »
Vipers,

congrats on your new decision...a powerful setup! cool. 8)

al.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2010, 12:28 am »
Just thought I'd update this post.

I've sold my 5 month old 4B SST2 (could regret this one day) and my 10 month old PMC EB1i's and decided to stay passive for now with 2 x 7B SST2 (on a boat at the moment somewhere heading towards the UK) and a pair of PMC MB2i's, can't wait to get these babies singing  :D

Thanks to everyone for their contributions in helping me make this decision  :thumb:

Cool man. Upgrading is fun!

1oldguy

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2010, 04:02 pm »
Cool man. Upgrading is fun!
\

That's what she said.lol :wink:

Vipers

« Reply #25 on: 26 Nov 2010, 10:11 pm »
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd revive this thread as I had a few goodies delivered today, Unfortunately the BDP-1 is still stuck in UK customs but should be with me by Wednesday, I guess it will give me time to get this little lot singing, for the record there are a pair of 7B SST2, a pair of PMC MB2i's with stands and a PMC TLE1 sub, now where shall I start  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 26 Nov 2010, 10:37 pm »
Congrats Vipers - I wish you many pleasant hours :thumb:

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #27 on: 26 Nov 2010, 11:21 pm »
Very cool, Vipers. I'm  green with envy!  :D

BrysTony

« Reply #28 on: 26 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm »
Congratulations - you have a great system there.  Bet you had to take that picture quickly because the boxes are probably empty now.  I want to upgrade my speakers and will be interested in how you like the new PMC MB2is.
Tony

larevoj

« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2010, 05:31 am »
Congrats to your new purchase!!  :drool:

Please share with us how it sound!  :D

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #30 on: 27 Nov 2010, 10:17 am »
yep, great system, Vipers! and keep on posting pics... :thumb:

al.

1oldguy

« Reply #31 on: 27 Nov 2010, 11:50 am »
Congrats......Hope you enjoying it all right now.

Vipers

« Reply #32 on: 27 Nov 2010, 09:24 pm »
Congrats Vipers - I wish you many pleasant hours :thumb:

james

Thanks James, can't wait to complete my system with the BDP-1  :D

Vipers

« Reply #33 on: 27 Nov 2010, 09:27 pm »
Bet you had to take that picture quickly because the boxes are probably empty now.  I want to upgrade my speakers and will be interested in how you like the new PMC MB2is.
Tony

I wish, I can't believe how long I've waited for this setup and today I've been too busy, I say too busy, I was demoing the new 3D JVC projectors, so its all still sitting in its boxes  :(

Thanks everyone else for the kind words, don't worry more pics and feedback will follow  :)

Laundrew

« Reply #34 on: 27 Nov 2010, 09:58 pm »
Enjoy  :thumb:

Be well...

Vipers

« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2010, 10:56 pm »
OMG :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I just can't stop smiling, it's been a mad weekend and I've only just got round to installing the new setup, pic's to follow tomorrow evening guys.

What can I say, I was extremely apprehensive before powering it all up, the last thing you want when making an investment in a new setup is to be underwhelmed, especially as I'd never heard the MB2i's before, would they be too big for the room, would the bass be boomy and uncontrolled as they may need more room to breath properly, you know the doubts that start to arise after placing an order and waiting 2 months for delivery.

Well, I had nothing to worry about, what is amazing is that it is all new and will only get better as it runs in, but what strikes you is just how controlled and powerful the bass is running with 2 x 7B's, you really can feel it rather than just hear it, and as it all warmed up it just kept getting better and better, am I allowed to say I was nearly wetting myself with excitement :roll: and as for the mid range of the MB's, which was my main reason for upgrading tbh, well there is a richness and weight that the EB's never got close to, the MB's really are in a different league. They really took some getting out of the box though, very very heavy, beautifully built though and they look stunning, especially with the covers off showing the fins on the bass unit :)

I've only had a chance for a quick play tonight, more of a systems check really, but, Wow, mighty impressive so far, can't wait to get work out the way tomorrow :)

Napalm

« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2010, 11:25 pm »
[...] but what strikes you is just how controlled and powerful the bass is running with 2 x 7B's,[...]

Told you so  :green: better bass is accomplished with larger amps not bi-amping with smaller amps.

Enjoy!!!

Nap.

Vipers

« Reply #37 on: 4 Dec 2010, 11:19 am »
Just thought I'd update with afew piccies, unfortuantely just found out that my BDP-1 won't be available until 17th Dec, at least that will give me some time to get to grips with dbpoweramp and getting some rippind done of my facourite cd's  :)

Due to our living room only being reasonably narrow this is the best shot we could squeeze in of the whole setup :-)

Million dollar question, covers on :-

Or covers off ?

Me trying to be arty, unsuccesfully :-

Finally, a half completed Bryston Rack, still waiting on the BDP-1 and putting the Michell Orbe back in place, hopefully completed in the next 2 weeks, more pics to follow then  :D

Laundrew

« Reply #38 on: 4 Dec 2010, 01:07 pm »
^^^^  :drool:  :thumb:

Be well...

larevoj

« Reply #39 on: 4 Dec 2010, 01:44 pm »
Simply Brilliant  :thumb: