How are you folks adding your subwoofer(s)?

vintagebob

How are you folks adding your subwoofer(s)?
« on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:31 pm »
I assume that most of you with planars are using separate subs?  Are you using a crossover and any type of equalization?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: How are you folks adding your subwoofer(s)?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:33 pm »
Yes!  I run two (currently) Rythmik subs from an Ashly 3.24CL.  Lots and lots of measurements with REW.   :duh: 

AVnerdguy

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:39 pm »
Active Xver and power amp to a passive dual 12" ported sub. I run the Maggie 1.7s to approx 80Hz. Sometimes I have to adjust freq due to boomy/muddy recordings but overall I keep it relatively low and do not intrude on the mid bass. Very clean and articulates well.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:46 pm »
In additon to the 10" woofers in my hybrid ESL's, I'm also running a pair of Dayton powered subs from the extra mains out on my pre-amp. The subs' plate amps have their own adjustable crossovers and volume controls and I have a 10-band EQ in the pre-amp's processor loop. Still, it's tricky blending the subs with the main speakers-- I just crack the throttle on the subs a little bit; otherwise, they become a bit too noticable.               

flintstone

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2010, 04:04 pm »
I have a pair of VMPS passive subwoofers, 300 watts each Outlaw Audio for power, and use Audyssey room correction......80hz crossover point.

Dave

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2010, 05:02 pm »
1.6s with an old pair of Dahlquist DQ-1W 12" stacked subs, separate amp and active Dahlquist X-over, set at about 40 hz. SMOKIN'!

Based on others' recent comments I'll try it at 80hz or so.   In a huge room 22' x 26' x 10' high.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2010, 05:50 pm »
I use a ML Descent i and Velodyne IC600 (mounted in-ceiling) with my Ml Vistas.

Cross the Vistas at 60Hz, send the rest to the subs. The Velodyne has on-board auto eq, which I ran first then ran the Audyssy in my Denon AVR.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2010, 07:41 pm »
Marantz AV-8003 crossing over at 80Hz to a pair of SVS PC-ultra's (1 Ultra 12 and 1 Ultra 13) with Martin Logan Vista's as the main pair and a Stage for the center channel. :D

hi5harry

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:06 pm »
I have 2 Velodyne dd-18's downstairs with the Legatos. I don't let mine play below 19 hz because of the room reinforcement( it's a square 19ft. by 19ft.). I am letting them go up to 80 hz, but I run the stats full range. I'm not dialed in perfect yet, but I think it's close.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:42 pm »
I recently sold my SVS PB13-Ultra since I was moving into an apartment, so now I'm running my 3.6s full range. I just wanted to throw out there that as much as I like the Ultra series from SVS, my favorite sub line for music would be the Vandersteen offerings. I first heard dual Vandersteen subs about 20 years ago, and I still love them today. I'm happy with the low end on the 3.6s for apartment dwelling (and I know I won't be disturbing the neighbors like I would be if I had brought the SVS beast with me), but the next time I'm in a house I'm likely going to go with Vandersteen for the low end.

prokennex

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:55 pm »
I just use a Sunfire true subwoofer crossed over at 40 hz to a pair of ML SL3s. Only comes on when the music demands it.

jaywills

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2010, 11:09 pm »
A pair of refurbed Quad 63's w/ "Crosby mods" and a Vandersteen 2wq.  The crossover under the Vandersteen method is at ~80hz.  Satisfactory at present for near-field listening using TacT room correction (a 2.2x in 2.0 mode due to the Vandersteen crossover method).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm »
I use an SVS sub with the 3.6s and have it crossed over at 40hz with the volume adjusted by ear.  It blends in really well.
For the 1.6s upstairs I'm not running a sub at the moment and don't really miss it all that much. 
The upstairs is almost 100% vinyl played really loud and I think a sub might add a few problems in that narrow room unless I mounted the turntable on a shelf.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2010, 02:34 pm »
I just run a modest Infinity 10" sub, internal crossover and 300 watt plate amp.  I turn it nearly all of the way down in both cutoff and amplitude to minimize the impact on the Maggies.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2010, 03:24 pm »
I use Duke LeJeune's Swarm and cross at 70 with a pair of old (but fully updated) A series Sound-labs.

vintagebob

« Reply #15 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:04 pm »
Wow, almost as many different ways as there are systems?!

sfox50

« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2010, 01:12 pm »
I have not been using a sub lately. I decided to try the one I have, a UFW 10 (it does still work!)
I'll report back after I get it dialed in.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2010, 12:45 pm by sfox50 »

trout2

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:22 pm »
One REL Storm II - set at 35hz. Maggie 3.6R's in Mye Stands running full range. (REL by-wire system-no crossover to sub)

Chris Adams

« Reply #18 on: 9 Oct 2010, 12:38 pm »
I have a pair of modded MMGs and an Elemental Designs A3S-250 which is a small sealed 10" with 300w plate amp. I'm into cheap and cheerful these days so I just soldered a second set of wires to the RCAs that are plugged into the output of my Pass B1 and ran them to the sub. Works perfectly.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 9 Oct 2010, 02:08 pm »
I have to add an addendum here.  There's something amiss in my sub so I turned it off.  With my placement that optimizes bass response (within a re-enforcement node in the middle of the room) I don't know if I need it.  And this is with MMG's.  I think I'll try sans sub for a bit.....