How are you folks adding your subwoofer(s)?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: How are you folks adding your subwoofer(s)?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2010, 03:42 pm »
Pair of ACI Force subs with the MG1.6s running full range.  Like it, like it a lot.

Other subs used in the past included a Vandersteen 2WQ (great but requires a high pass filter before your amp, not possible in my current setup) and a pair of Hawthorne Augies with a DBXPro crossover and various amps (old Haflers, Adcom and a Wyred4Sound).  Hawthorne Augies are great, especially filling in the bottom end of my MG10.1s, but didn't do much with the 1.6s, they want something that digs deeper... and that would be the Force subs.  Too bad ACI is gone.

Bear Heath

« Reply #21 on: 9 Oct 2010, 08:30 pm »
Another satisfied ACI Force sub user with 1.6, wish I had bought another Force before ACI stopped business. The flexibility of the crossover works well for the 1.6

jk@home

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2010, 10:20 pm »
I have a couple of diy passive sealed subs with 12" Rythmik "LT" drivers installed, that I picked up on sale from Brian Ding. I use a Behr DCX2496 for crossover and EQ of the sub, MMGs are ran full range. I was using an Aragon 8008ST driving the subs (when running a Hi-Eff system) but now it's on the MMGs.

So I've picked up a Yamaha P3500S pro amp for sub duty, and a Behr DI4000 DI box to convert the high level signal off the Aragon to drive the DCX. Same principle as using the speaker level inputs on a sub plate amp.

Still got to make some cables and hook it all up, so this is all just "theory". Sort of a convoluted way of doing things, but I have my reasons, won’t go into the boring details. :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #23 on: 7 Nov 2010, 02:47 pm »
After a few weeks without a sub, I turned the old NHT sub back on (more of an external woofer than a real sub) with the 1.6s and it's nice to have the listening chair rattling around again. 
The sub is directly inbetween the two Maggies and about  6' behind them in what was supposed to be a monster walk-in closet but which is now used for guitar storage.

Feanor

« Reply #24 on: 7 Nov 2010, 03:19 pm »
Very simple: I run my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's full range and my PSP Subsonic 5 direct from my preamp using the sub's low-pass at the miniumum setting, 50 Hz.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:00 am »
Well, I now have a third update on subwoofers and Maggies.  As my trusty ol' Infinity has developed a problem, why not peruse eBay and craig'slist to see what awaits.  As luck would have it an old classic, a Yamaha YST-SW100 was offered on craigs for the princely sum of $75.00 US.  This a dual 7" woofer design that goes very low without a lot of hit and slam, but is very fast and musical, just what is needed for MMG's.  I'm getting -5db at 20hz and essentially flat out to where the Maggies take over, and a double bass sounds like music, I couldn't be happier.

weitrhino

« Reply #26 on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:08 am »
I don't use a sub with my ALS Platinums because I don't think they need it.

pelliott321

« Reply #27 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:44 pm »
With my Mag IIIa's I use a pair of Janis W-1's powered powered by a junk chip amp (150w/ch) soon to be replaced with a 250w/ch class d. my present electronic xover is a Marchand set a 40hz and a roll the IIIa's at 40hz with a .04uf cap on the input to the SS amp I use for the bass panels.

nathanso

« Reply #28 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:34 am »
My Acoustat 2+2's run full-range from my PS Audio HCA-2 amp, while my Adire Rava subwoofer runs off my PCA-2 preamp's line outs with the sub's crossover set to minimum (40Hz).  Sub volume at 10AM produces plenty of bass and a good match to the stats.

twitch54

« Reply #29 on: 28 Nov 2010, 02:52 am »
I run my Martin Logan Spires full range and augment them with my Velodyne DD-15, with its built in SMS it's a piece of cake. I roll the sub in @ 65 hz, 24db slope.

TONEPUB

« Reply #30 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:20 am »
Run my MG 1.6s full range with JL Gotham kicking in at about 50hz...

nathanso

« Reply #31 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:57 am »
Has anyone experimented with line-level vs speaker-level driving of their sub?  I've read through one of the REL Acoustics manuals and it says, "The purpose of connecting to the speaker output terminals is one of the unique secrets of REL’s success. By connecting to the high level input on the REL from the amplifier, you build forward the sonic signature of your main system, including the tonal balance and timing cues of the entire electronics chain. In this way, the REL is fed the exact signal that is fed to the main speakers."

I haven't tried this yet for lack of proper cabling but it does make me curious..

raindance

« Reply #32 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:15 am »
@nathanso

I do this all the time with tube amps that don't provide a preamp out. It works great and a whole lot better than any passive output taken from the volume pot. I'm going to be experimenting with this with my ClassD kit also, as I am running it passive and don't want any more loading on the volume control.

The limitation is that your low bass is limited by the amps capabilities.

ratso

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm »
hope i don't de-rail this thread, but i think it pertains. as a noob to running 2 channel/sub, what is the benefit of using an external crossover vs. the sub's built in crossover in a full range system? is it just more control?

raindance

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:55 pm »
The subs built in crossover is usually OK for doing the low pass part of the crossover duties. However, the sub may or may not have the ability to do anything high pass, ie if you want to limit bass going to your mains. If the sub does do it, chances are it is at a single fixed frequency which is usually 80Hz and it is a very slow rolloff. So I guess it boils down to more control, yes.

ratso

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:12 am »
thanx for that, rain!  :thumb:

Minn Mark

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jan 2011, 07:29 pm »
3.6's in a 13 x 25 x 7 room.

Never had a sub. Dont think I'll ever desire one.

AVA electronics (highly recommended).

Mark

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jan 2011, 07:44 pm »
Has anyone experimented with line-level vs speaker-level driving of their sub?  I've read through one of the REL Acoustics manuals and it says, "The purpose of connecting to the speaker output terminals is one of the unique secrets of REL’s success. By connecting to the high level input on the REL from the amplifier, you build forward the sonic signature of your main system, including the tonal balance and timing cues of the entire electronics chain. In this way, the REL is fed the exact signal that is fed to the main speakers."

I haven't tried this yet for lack of proper cabling but it does make me curious..

Velodyne recommends this type of set up for 2ch music as well.  I run a Velodyne sub set at 40Hz with my 1.6's.  I called Velodyne and talked with one of the long time tech guys who owns maggies and he recommended hooking up directly to the amp as opposed to the line level out.

oboaudio

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2011, 01:58 pm »
I use Eminent Technology TRW-17 Rotary Subwoofer with my Magneplanar Tympani bass panels.  The Magneplanar bass panels operate from 250 hz down to below 30 hz (low pass xover @ 30 hz, 12 db per octave;  high pass @ 250 hz, 18 db per octave.  The Rotary Subwoofer operates from 25 hz down to below 1 hz, with a low pass xover at 25 hz, 18 db per octave. Martin Logan Summits take over at 270 hz, using the electrostatic elements only (woofers disconnected.  This combination of speakers is awesome!!!!!

airhead

« Reply #39 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:38 am »
i recently added a pair of Roger Modjeski's subwoofers to my system.  First some background.  I have a pair of Stax F83's which I bought in the eighties, and some Futterman NYAL OTL3's from the same period, which I ended up with after a desperate search for an amplifier that could drive these difficult speakers.  To my ears, these speakers have a midrange purity and presence that is simply breathtaking.  However they started arcing some time ago and I listend less and less frequently, partly due to their problems, and partly due to the expansion of our family.  Then about two years ago my wife took me to a concert by Patricia Barber and I was completely overwhelmed, and decided I couldn't live without a pure delivery of female vocals any more.  After a considerable amount of research, I found someone (Electrostatic Solutions) who was familiar with these speakers and their strengths and weaknesses and was able to restore them.  One of the issues was an underspec'ed resistor that had blown out, removing the bass response as well as some protection to the panels.  He rebuilt the power supplies, the RC network, and the panels, and I was in heaven again for a while.  But as I got my courage up to listen at higher volumes, I noticed some sputtering in the presence of deep bass.  I don't know if this is because my OTL amps are running out of current at these frequencies or if the diaphragm is hitting the stators, but in any case it seemed that the best solution would be to add a subwoofer and to get the bass out of the main amps and panels.  Unfortunately most subwoofers offered these days (REL,Vandersteen, etc.) don't do much of the latter.  Finally I remembered having spoken to Roger Modjeski (when I was trying to find tubes for my old amps) that he had developed an ESL system which came with his own subwoofers engineered to go with such a system, and I asked him if he would be willing to sell me just the woofer and crossover.  He was, and offered me a several week trial period.  I was skeptical at first, since Roger doesn't believe in all the fuss people make about getting phase alignment and levels exactly right---he just provides flexible enough controls to allow you to do what you want, saying that there is no absolutely right setting.  But after several weeks of critical listening, I am convinced that he is right, at least for my setup.
My bass distortion is gone, but even more than that, the midrange is clearer and more relaxed, I have much more dynamic headroom, and of course the bass is deeper and has more information.  I've listened to piano, percussion, string bass, male baritone,
(and of course Patricia Barber) and everything sounds good.  His woofers are extremely small and easy to place (important in my difficult room), yet are fast and detailed and go fairly deep, and have low distortion (at least according to my rather
crude measurements).  His crossover is extremely pure and easy to use and configure.
i personally don't expect perfection in any engineering situation---everything involves tradeoffs---but it seems that he has made the same kinds of tradeoffs that motivated my choice of the Stax in the first place, that is, for tonal purity and precision over high SPL levels and thunder.

Roger's ESL system has been mentioned here a few times; I wonder if anyone has more information about it.