Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #120 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:45 pm »
Congrats!!!!! Look good do they???

Lyndon

« Reply #121 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:55 pm »
Alright!!!!
Get them half out of the boxes, hook 'em up to the Coby system, go with
Meatloaf's chosen nectar, warm Fresca with gin, and let the good tunes flow.  Afterward, when you can't discern the anitfreeze from the Fresca,
hook up those speakers to the regular system.  You won't believe how great they sound.
All the best, Mariusz! :thumb: :lol: :lol:
Lyndon

Mariusz

« Reply #122 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm »
Oh no. They are out of the box all right..... and playing.  :wink:
Setup in a rush with iPod/Onkyo iTransporter (AKA Wadia clone), Wyred4Sound 2 DAC, my weirdo 6J5 based preamp, Decware monoblocks (5wpc).
For now Omens will remain in smaller room.
After I put some hours on them, they shall go to main listening room.  :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #123 on: 20 Nov 2010, 12:21 am »
Congrats!!!!! Look good do they???

Hi Ed
Finish is very good but not really accurate in reference to what you see on their website. I'll take some pictures oven the next few days and post more initial impressions.  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #124 on: 20 Nov 2010, 01:37 am »
Mariusz -- Congrats again you Zu fool you!!! Enjoy, crank it up, send your wife shopping and let me hear them in Allentown... :beer: :drums:

Eadron

« Reply #125 on: 20 Nov 2010, 04:38 pm »
Omens are here!
......... in one piece. :thumb:

Congrats, Mariusz! I didn't have such a good luck with shipping - one of the speakers injured from the front corner  :cry:. Otherwise they do look really nice at ghost black.

jouni

mbakes

« Reply #126 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:26 pm »
That's too bad about the banged up speaker but I'm sure Zu will take care of you.

Looking forward to hearing impressions of the Omen, I'm really enjoying my Superflys.

Mariusz

« Reply #127 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:42 pm »
Congrats, Mariusz! I didn't have such a good luck with shipping - one of the speakers injured from the front corner  :cry:. Otherwise they do look really nice at ghost black.

jouni

Hi Jouni

Sorry to hear about that.
My Omen boxes also show some trauma and I was prepared for the worst.
Miraculously, they survived this painful ordeal unscathed.   
Hopefully you will resolve this issue and get some music playing soon.

Mariusz

Charles Xavier

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #128 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:46 pm »
Ok I will spill the beans. If the deals are good I may grab a pair

http://zuaudio.com/

check out Black Friday sales section

Mariusz

« Reply #129 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:04 pm »
Ok I will spill the beans. If the deals are good I may grab a pair

http://zuaudio.com/

check out Black Friday sales section

For $999, there is very little to complain about.

I could have been more critical if the asking price increased by a factor of X3.

Zu recommends 400+ hours of break-in time.  Not sure if I can wait that long......... (that's almost 17 days straight)

Charles Xavier

« Reply #130 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:55 pm »
For $999, there is very little to complain about.

I could have been more critical if the asking price increased by a factor of X3.

Zu recommends 400+ hours of break-in time.  Not sure if I can wait that long......... (that's almost 17 days straight)

Did you see they have a $40,000 speaker on its way.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #131 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:05 pm »
Hey Mariusz....are they shouty?? How would you describe the sound so far, tight bass? Give us some dirt here on these Omens!!!!
 ....and pictures

Mariusz

« Reply #132 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:47 am »
Did you see they have a $40,000 speaker on its way.

Yeah...... It does what it should - create buzz
Hey Mariusz....are they shouty?? How would you describe the sound so far, tight bass? Give us some dirt here on these Omens!!!!
 ....and pictures

Out of the box they sound fine. Bass is probably what surprised me the most. 2nd most obvious thing was tweeter interaction with the main driver. Yes, you can tell that it was crossed pretty high. Not really shouty......, actually hights seems to be a bit laid back. In short, these are not the most forward sounding speakers that I've  heard. And that's a fact.
Bass is solid, kind of tuneful and not directional.
I do not have a luxury of a large, dedicated listening space, but in smaller to medium size rooms you won't probably need or want to add another boom box. More later.

I did not take any photos yet except this iPhone quickie:

« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 05:41 am by Mariusz »

Eadron

« Reply #133 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:03 am »
That's too bad about the banged up speaker but I'm sure Zu will take care of you.

Yeah, I know they will. Funny thing, this wasn't a first time such thing happening to me with speakers. When I got my first Omega 8"s, boxes were totally ok but both whizzer cones of the 8" drivers were broken, completely out of shape..??? Seems like I'm haunted by a bad omen here  :icon_twisted: :lol:!

jouni

Mariusz

« Reply #134 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:14 am »
Don't worry jouni, your Omen will change for the better.
Are you getting another pair of Omens?

Gopher

« Reply #135 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:25 am »
Cool looking room Mariusz.   I can't see the boundaries, but your speaker placement looks similar to how I had my Soul Superflys at first.  They benefitted a lot from greater spacing. 

Is Zu having a better impression on you this time around?  I find my Superflys intoxicating and it isn't wearing off with time.

Eadron

« Reply #136 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:38 am »
Don't worry jouni, your Omen will change for the better.
Are you getting another pair of Omens?

Don't know yet - just a one speaker or a pair? I suppose Gerrit at Zu who is the Shipping Manager is taking care of this..waiting his reply @ the moment.

jouni

Delta Wave

« Reply #137 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:53 pm »
Yeah...... It does what it should - create buzz
Out of the box they sound fine. Bass is probably what surprised me the most. 2nd most obvious thing was tweeter interaction with the main driver. Yes, you can tell that it was crossed pretty high. Not really shouty......, actually hights seems to be a bit laid back. In short, these are not the most forward sounding speakers that I've  heard. And that's a fact.
Bass is solid, kind of tuneful and not directional.
I do not have a luxury of a large, dedicated listening space, but in smaller to medium size rooms you won't probably need or want to add another boom box. More later.

I did not take any photos yet except this iPhone quickie:

What system pic is complete without a pair of pliers or screwdriver in the pic.  :thumb: Looking good, I'm waiting to see how things unfold... I've had my eye on the Zu stuff for sometime now but like anyone else, a bit apprehensive about buying something unheard.

mbakes

« Reply #138 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:02 pm »
Marius, they look good.  I've been playing around with placement but it's a small room so not a lot of options.  At the moment they are set up like this and I think it's working for me.  They are 6'5" center of driver to center of driver:

Mariusz

« Reply #139 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:19 pm »

What system pic is complete without a pair of pliers or screwdriver in the pic.  :thumb: Looking good, I'm waiting to see how things unfold... I've had my eye on the Zu stuff for sometime now but like anyone else, a bit apprehensive about buying something unheard.

You haven't seen back of the room ...........  :lol:

As to your interest in Zu speakers...... well, no one can figure it out better then you.
Ofcause you already know that. There are many factors which will determine if the sound you hear, features and price are what you were looking for. And do not forget about compromises (every speaker has those) which you will need to learn to accept and ignore.
So, as you said "buying something unheard" is certainly difficult decision. But, ...... 60 days in home trial seems like a sound proposition (if needed, Zu might give you additional 14 days - totaling 74days). You can always send it back if things do not work out the way you hoped for. And do not forget - because someone loves it/hates is, doesn't mean a freakin thing. You do not need anyone's approval to enjoy music. :thumb: