Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Ispec2

« Reply #200 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:00 pm »
Even though the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi Guidlines, say

"Individual components shouldn't exceed $350, however in cases of full featured components like integrated amps with DAC, phonostage or headphone amp - its value can be as much as $650", Mariusz decided that these $999 speakers could also be included (he is the facilitator of this circle, after all!).

Well, according to the Zu Audio website, the introductory price has expired and they are now $1500 a pair.  They might still be "Cheerful", but the $1500/pair standard price now invites a lot more comparisons and evaluations with other speakers.

Steve

Music Direct is now selling the Essence, Soul and Omen. The Omens are listed at $999.00

srb

« Reply #201 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:17 pm »

"Individual components shouldn't exceed $350, however in cases of full featured components like integrated amps with DAC, phonostage or headphone amp - its value can be as much as $650", Mariusz decided that these $999 speakers could also be included (he is the facilitator of this circle, after all!).

Well, according to the Zu Audio website, the introductory price has expired and they are now $1500 a pair.  They might still be "Cheerful", but the $1500/pair standard price now invites a lot more comparisons and evaluations with other speakers.

Steve

Music Direct is now selling the Essence, Soul and Omen. The Omens are listed at $999.00

Ispec2, consider using the Quote function to differentiate your own comments from those you are quoting.

Steve

Ispec2

« Reply #202 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:47 pm »

Sorry Steve I tried but couldn't do it.

blackxero

« Reply #203 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:14 pm »

Steve

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting here (I hang out on Head-Fi), but I've been interested in buying some Zu speakers for quite some time now.  I just got off the phone with a nice lady at Zu.  I mentioned that I had been out of the country for the Black Friday sale, so I was unable to purchase the Omens like I had intended.  She said that technically they were still offering them for $999 because they were running a $999 ad in xyz magazine (maybe Audiophile?  I can't remember what she said).  Anyway, she recommended that I wait a week or so to make my purchase because they will soon be starting their "13 days of christmas" sale, and I might not want to miss out on what they will be offering.  I can't say for sure, but I couldn't help but feel like she was giving me a hint. 

Is it just me, or does it seem that their pricing is just as dynamic as their speakers?  I'm not complaining.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #204 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:18 pm »
Music Direct catalog showed up today and the Zu Omens are priced at $999 so I think that will be around for awhile.

Mariusz

« Reply #205 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm »

Steve

Hey Steve

It appears that Zu Omens still are available at discount prices. Besides, with a bit of luck, Omens could be purchased for even less on used market.

srb

« Reply #206 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:56 pm »
Well, it's very odd because if you go to the website, it says $1500, and if you add a pair to the shopping cart they go into the cart for $1500.  So apparently, unless you talk to a sales rep on the phone or order through a vendor like Music Direct, you will get charged an extra $500.

?

It appears that Zu Omens still are available at discount prices. Besides, with a bit of luck, Omens could be purchased for even less on used market.

Of course once the price does go back up officially to $1500, used ones will probably sell for more than $999!

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #207 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:14 am »
Mariusz how do they sound??

Mariusz

« Reply #208 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:28 am »
Will post some more later tonight.
This time Zu will be paired with 300b monos.
These amps output more then 3X what Decware monos are capable of.

Stay tuned .........

Mariusz

« Reply #209 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:33 am »
Well, it's very odd because if you go to the website, it says $1500, and if you add a pair to the shopping cart they go into the cart for $1500.  So apparently, unless you talk to a sales rep on the phone or order through a vendor like Music Direct, you will get charged an extra $500.

?

Of course once the price does go back up officially to $1500, used ones will probably sell for more than $999!

Steve

I'll sell my pair for less - when:if  I get the upgrade  bug.  :lol:

nigelnaim

« Reply #210 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:55 am »
Music Direct's website currently lists the Omen at $999.00.  Zu Audio's website lists the Omen at $1500.00.  Does anyone else find this odd?  Does anyone have a US email address for a contact at ZU Audio?  I could not find one on their website.

Mariusz

« Reply #211 on: 1 Dec 2010, 01:03 am »
info@zuaudio.com
Try this email to contact Zu Audio

The pricing reflects aggressive marketing which seems chaotic but it sure is effective.

djbnh

« Reply #212 on: 1 Dec 2010, 04:23 am »
Music Direct's website currently lists the Omen at $999.00.  Zu Audio's website lists the Omen at $1500.00.  Does anyone else find this odd?  Does anyone have a US email address for a contact at ZU Audio?  I could not find one on their website.
May be the MD website has an issue, may be something Zu is allowing - who knows? The manufacturer may want to opine in this and other forums regarding the topic to set things straight.

springnr

« Reply #213 on: 1 Dec 2010, 04:35 am »
I sure would like to see a head to head between this ZU Omen and the Tekton design Lore.

Mariusz

« Reply #214 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:13 am »
Pics and short impression after 150h coming up shortly :wink:

blackxero

« Reply #215 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:36 am »
Zu doesn't seem to be so stiff on the pricing.  If you talk to a rep and mention "the $999 ad" that you saw in an audio magazine, they will be happy to ship some your way.  As for Music Direct, they can sell the speakers for any price they wish.  They probably have a stock that they purchased for less than $999/pair.

Zu's marketing strategy works, but they will want to be more careful in the future with their huge sales and introductory pricing.  It doesn't benefit them to have sold X number of pairs to vendors at $999; a price low enough that vendors can still make a profit and undermine sales on Zu's own site.  They might find themselves with a saturated market and buyers who wont pay the extra $500 to have speakers directly from the manufacturer.

Mariusz

« Reply #216 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:28 am »
As promised, here are few more shots of today's setup - 300B SEP monoblocks replaced Decware 5wpc monos. Omens also clocked around 150 hours of play time (24/7 for 6 days straight + initial test drive) and some improvements were noticed in bass reproduction and layering/soundstage.
I also have a bunch of interconnects to test for upcoming shoot-out and some changes were made there as well.

to be continue.........

Lyndon

« Reply #217 on: 1 Dec 2010, 07:13 am »
Mariusz,
As usual, nice shots!
Will be looking forward to more updates tomorrow.
Lyndon

Mariusz

« Reply #218 on: 1 Dec 2010, 07:43 am »
more pics:

So....., any improvement over 5wpc Decware amps???? IMO, Yes and it wasn't just subtle differences. First of all Electra Print 300b monoblocks (2 300b per side) offer more then 3X the muscle then SV83M Decware amps. That extra power contributed to more pronounced layering, more effortless reproduction, more robust bass and micro-dynamics. All these beneficial improvements contributed to music reproduction which took Omens to another level. Ofcause, magical qualities associated with seductiveness of queen 300b tubes didn't hurt either.
Just to give you few examples of music played tonight (it was a long session):

Sax & Bass at its best - sounds great on Omens
Samples

Samples
Cool album with some great tracks - sounds great on some speakers and just so,so on others. Omens seem to like this group a lot.

Samples
Now, if you really want to test your speakers/amp setup try track number 6 called "Indulge Me".
If your amp(s) can sail through beginning of the track (15-25sec) without choking, then you certainly have enough headroom and shouldn't worry about power issue. However, I must warn you to be cautious when playing this track. It will test your system and can damage your drivers. Start at moderate levels - say 70-80db just to be on the safe side.

This track proves that Omens might need a bit more then 10-20wpc ( I still love my 300b monos ).
From what I heard tonight, I shall conclude that even 40wpc might not be enough to provide optimum headroom and power necessary for those demanding passages and micro-dynamics.
Do not get me wrong - you will most likely going to be fine with conservatively rated amp or even one of those lovely SET amps in most rooms and with most music, however. You will need a lot more then that to push these speakers in larger rooms, with most demanding music at levels resembling live performances ( or even close to it).
[side note - my DIY back-loaded horns with single, full range Jordan driver per side did not put as much stress on my Electra Print 300B monos as Zu Omens did.]

And last but not least - Song that is quite depressing and you probably heard it on numerous occasions (pet rescue commercial comes to mind). If you like to hear some great female vocal, check it out. "Nouvelle" by Jorane , 16mm.

[for this audition cables used were:  interconnects from Morrow, Audio Art. Speaker cables - Morrow, PC - Signal Cable, Kimber Kable. Conditioning by - CIA for digital and Majik Buss for everything else.]

Next: Omens inside pics .......

Mariusz

« Reply #219 on: 1 Dec 2010, 08:06 am »
And some insider, secret shots  :icon_twisted::
(I can see what they had to do in order to meet the projected price)

Sides of the Omens could use some of that special dampening paint used on Superfly brother ( composite treatment process).
ZuRG pyramid seems to be hit with economy stick.
I couldn't see parts used in filter network which was hot glued or poxy to the back of the tweeter but I am sure there is some room for improvement there as well. With few inexpensive tweaks, Omens could get a face lift and possible gain in SQ. (That part should be fun)