Available used....check

Quality workmanship.....check

Thought about this ?

Modwright LS 36.5 Tube Linestage ....

I've already owned one.  It was okay.

Big Red Machine

Re: Preamp shopping
« Reply #81 on: 17 Sep 2010, 12:30 pm »

Please let us know your impressions of Athena - I was interested in it before I went with Joule but there were absolutely no owner impressions available at that time.

Didn't have much time to warm this up and stay focused.  But what I did hear was very encouraging.  This has four 6H30P tubes in a mu-follower configuration.  Not the DR supertube but still a tube I have been wanting to hear.  I really liked the sound as it was very 3D and the instruments were clearly separated.  Also, the dynamics were very impressive - passages that I previously wanted to be more dynamic definitely were with this unit.

On the 3D piece, I could pick out 2 players next to each other in the back and another player in front of them on one track.  The soundstage was deeper and wider overall and very enjoyable.

I'm not jumping for joy quite yet as I want to hear another version of the 6SN7 beyond the Mapletree I had here.  But overall at first kiss this thing really has got me interested in this tube set as well and I'm trying to be rational and not jump the gun.

Build-wise, this unit is a tank and THEN there is the separate power supply so I coud not imagine how heavy this would get combining them both in one chassis.  Some neat features is the variable gain knob on the front to match to your amp (5 steps/choices), and multiple balanced inputs and outputs.  There are two sets of SE and XLR outputs.

Oh, almost forgot - I have a sub in the room and turned it off and didn't even miss it.  The bass from this thing is very impressive.  Midrange is very, very smooth, and the top end is okay but it may be a little harsh and I need to further play this weekend as best I can.

I'm definitely glad I have this to audition and put some data in my head.  The best holographic presentation I have heard from my system ever and I didn't realize my HT2's were capable of this.

writeface

« Reply #82 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:34 pm »
Excellent. How hot does it get?

Thank you.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #83 on: 17 Sep 2010, 02:08 pm »
Excellent. How hot does it get?

Thank you.

Only has 4 tubes in as compared to the Hera which has 8.  So not "hot".  Normal warm.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #84 on: 17 Sep 2010, 04:29 pm »
Preamps rising to the top of my list so far:

TRL Dude
Rogue Athena - picking one up today to play
EAR 868 line
Joule 150
Purity One or Ref
Audio Valve Ekilpse

My eyes are tired from all the reading.

Anybody try an Antique Sound Lab Flora?  Looks interesting and relatively inexpensive.  Very few reviews on Audiogon.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #85 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:56 am »
I was curious as to how you'd feel about the Rogue; glad that you liked it. 

I've owned several of their pieces (still own an amp) and always thought it was excellent gear, and very fairly priced to boot.  Mark is also a heck of a nice guy.

Glad to see that they'll be at RMAF this year. 

writeface

« Reply #86 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:09 am »
BRM,

What is the latest news.. still lovin' rogue or trying something else?

Please check your PM.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #87 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:29 am »
I returned the Athena as it was a loaner and I had to travel this week.  I have a deposit on a new preamp now and hope it is better than the Rogue.  Sure, I didn't get to listen to all my top choices but I've researched this unit carefully and it should be a winner.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #88 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:06 am »
Hey there Pete,
 Care to share what your new preamp is? Were you able to audition it.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #89 on: 25 Sep 2010, 07:13 pm »
Hey there Pete,
 Care to share what your new preamp is? Were you able to audition it.

Ooh, ooh, I know, I know!  But I'll let Pete spill the beans when he's ready.

:D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 25 Sep 2010, 07:25 pm »
I say it's the TRL Dude

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #91 on: 25 Sep 2010, 07:52 pm »
I say it's the TRL Dude

Well. . .you and I both suggested it.  :D

JP78

« Reply #92 on: 29 Sep 2010, 12:22 am »
My favorite preamp (though not the most expensive) that I owned was a deHavilland...just the most musical.

On my short list is to try is a Doshi Aalap...though currently I'm pretty happy fooling around in the PC realm so I'm currently making do without.

Will2

« Reply #93 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:04 am »
Hey Pete - what did you end up choosing - how has it worked out for you - interested to hear your impressions.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #94 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:45 am »
The Dude abides!!  Still in the crate after being delivered yesterday.

motorcitym3

« Reply #95 on: 10 Mar 2011, 01:11 am »
Give the Modwright swl9.0 SE signature a try.  I just picked one up a couple weeks ago and am in LOVE with it!

Gopher

« Reply #96 on: 10 Mar 2011, 04:14 am »
El Duderino, 'eh? 

Sweeet.  Keep us posted on how that sounds.  Looks very intriguing as everything I've heard about it is glowing--its definitely on the expensive side, but not 'cost prohibitive' per se...

Do you have any experience with Shindo preamps?  I'd be interested in how the presentations/perspectives of music differ.  There is an active thread on audiogon of the same question, but most have only heard one camp or the other and can offer nothing in terms of comparisons. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #97 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm »
El Duderino, 'eh? 

Sweeet.  Keep us posted on how that sounds.  Looks very intriguing as everything I've heard about it is glowing--its definitely on the expensive side, but not 'cost prohibitive' per se...

Do you have any experience with Shindo preamps?  I'd be interested in how the presentations/perspectives of music differ.  There is an active thread on audiogon of the same question, but most have only heard one camp or the other and can offer nothing in terms of comparisons.

I looked at Shindo and I called reps twice and they said it wasn't for me!?!  So they soured me on the use of their devices and I moved on.  I have to get some amps now and have a pretty good idea what they will be but it will be 2 weeks before I can get anything.

The Dude is built like a TANK.  VERY heavy and well built.  Substantial knobage!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #98 on: 10 Mar 2011, 01:22 pm »
I looked at Shindo and I called reps twice and they said it wasn't for me!?!  So they soured me on the use of their devices and I moved on.  I have to get some amps now and have a pretty good idea what they will be but it will be 2 weeks before I can get anything.

The Dude is built like a TANK.  VERY heavy and well built.  Substantial knobage!!

I wish you were close by Pete so you could hear my amps and I could hear your preamp.   :cry:

Due to the incredible generosity of an AC member, I am temporarily borrowing his Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp and loving it!  It would be nice to compare some other preamps to it while it is still in my possession.  Hopefully, I will get a chance to hear the BAT Rex in my system (while still having the MP-1) in the two weeks.

What does the Dude cost?

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #99 on: 10 Mar 2011, 01:45 pm »
I wish you were close by Pete so you could hear my amps and I could hear your preamp.   :cry:

Due to the incredible generosity of an AC member, I am temporarily borrowing his Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp and loving it!  It would be nice to compare some other preamps to it while it is still in my possession.  Hopefully, I will get a chance to hear the BAT Rex in my system (while still having the MP-1) in the two weeks.

What does the Dude cost?

George

IF you want to pay shipping, I can ship it out to you for 2 weeks.  94 lbs in a foam lined crate.

The Dude is $4k now and does not offer remote or true balanced operation.  I have dual Shallco attenuators and 4 inputs with pseudo balanced connections provided to accommodate cabling flexibility.

I'm leaning toward Belles or McCormack amperage in the mondo arena.