Preamp shopping

Big Red Machine

Re: Preamp shopping
« Reply #60 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:04 pm »
Hi BRM,

In the grand tradition of recommending gear that one owns, may I suggest considering a VAC Standard LE or MKII pre-amp. (Mine is actually a MKII but in an LE case).

Not only does it sound great, to me, in my system, but I have brought it to many Raves and it has always played well with whatever it was paired with.

I see them on Agon in the ~$2K range but ususally they sell within a few days.

If you budget is really much higher than that, well, I just can't imagine how good the ~$6K used VAC pres would sound!

Happy huntin'

-Mike

So if you are using a SE VAC into the Cherry then you are using XLR adapters with no noise issues?

mfsoa

« Reply #61 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:14 pm »
The VAC has balanced outs, so XLR all the way!

No hum issues

Big Red Machine

« Reply #62 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:26 pm »
The VAC has balanced outs, so XLR all the way!

No hum issues

Every one on Agon has singel ended outputs.  I was told that you have to get up into their $10k+ versions to get balanced outputs.  How'd you do that?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #63 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:54 pm »
I have an  opportunity to audition a Rogue Athena.  Anyone have any experience?

mfsoa

« Reply #64 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:45 pm »
I just checked the Standard MKII manual on the VAC web site, and it appears that the balanced outs are standard.
Mine came with, (bought used) so I don't know if they were added after the fact.

The Cherry (I now have a Plus, what Tommy considers to be the finest amp he's ever built) sounds much better w/ the balanced outs from the pre, IMO.

-Mike

Big Red Machine

« Reply #65 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:59 pm »
I just checked the Standard MKII manual on the VAC web site, and it appears that the balanced outs are standard.
Mine came with, (bought used) so I don't know if they were added after the fact.

The Cherry (I now have a Plus, what Tommy considers to be the finest amp he's ever built) sounds much better w/ the balanced outs from the pre, IMO.

-Mike

You have a 2 box pre then?  The single box units, like the Standard Preamplifier & Standard LE are SE.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #66 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:07 pm »
NAT Audio Symmetrical.  Fully balanced dual-mono.  Remote volume and mute.  Stereophile Class A.  I think there are a couple on Agon now, old version. 

The newest version has a built-in tube-hour indicator, although they don't advertise it.  I have one and love it.

Also, unbalanced with no remote, how about the TRL Dude?

mfsoa

« Reply #67 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:50 pm »
No it's a one-boxer, The Standard MKII.

Long story short - It used to be a Standard LE and the faceplate still says so. But the dealer I bought it from had previously sent it back to VAC and Kevin said that he could do things to it that you'd really like, so the dealer says OK. What VAC did was to replace the whole board (says MKII on it). It's not even an upgraded Standard LE, as those units still use the outboard power supply (according to the VAC website) and my PS is internal. The shipping box now has a VAC sticker on it indicating MKII. Two pr RCA outs and one pr XLR outs. Balanced inputs would cost $1K says VAC  :o.

So I consider it a full MKII and not an LE-to-MKII upgrade although the faceplate says LE.

Ohhh, those two-boxers though...  :drool: 

-Mike

Big Red Machine

« Reply #68 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:56 pm »
NAT Audio Symmetrical.  Fully balanced dual-mono.  Remote volume and mute.  Stereophile Class A.  I think there are a couple on Agon now, old version. 

The newest version has a built-in tube-hour indicator, although they don't advertise it.  I have one and love it.

Saw them.  Eastern Europe origin.  Wonder where service is completed?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #69 on: 15 Sep 2010, 05:05 pm »
Saw them.  Eastern Europe origin.  Wonder where service is completed?

At your local electronics repair shop!!!  :green:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #70 on: 16 Sep 2010, 01:34 pm »
Preamps rising to the top of my list so far:

TRL Dude
Rogue Athena - picking one up today to play
EAR 868 line
Joule 150
Purity One or Ref
Audio Valve Ekilpse

My eyes are tired from all the reading.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #71 on: 16 Sep 2010, 01:39 pm »
Pete,

Send an e-mail or PM to madfloyd here on AC.  He has a Joule and BAT preamp and has tried more than half a dozen preamps over the last year.

I have heard the Joule in his system and it wasn't bass shy (unlike earlier versions of the Joule preamp ).

George

And I believe he has a Dude now if I remember all I read on Audiogon.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #72 on: 16 Sep 2010, 01:48 pm »
Pete,

Are you coming to RMAF?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #73 on: 16 Sep 2010, 01:50 pm »
Yes.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #74 on: 16 Sep 2010, 01:55 pm »
Cool.

I'd love for you to stop by our room (#542) and check out our Melody Pre.

Yes.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #75 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:22 pm »
Pete,

It's a pain in the ass to get the tubes right and you have to locate it away from any transformers, but a correctly set up Callisto fleshes out depth in notes you didn't know were there.  You have to love the sound to tolerate the impracticalities (tons of tubes and no remote) of this preamp.  I happen to be one, for the most part.  On hot summer days, I will go to a SS set up to reduce heat.  I do it for convenience and practicality but I can notice the leaner if cleaner sound when I go SS.  Just on musicality, I would put up Callisto (signature with 2 PS) against anything (I can afford).  FYI, my SS backup is MBL 5011.

writeface

« Reply #76 on: 16 Sep 2010, 05:57 pm »
Preamps rising to the top of my list so far:

TRL Dude
Rogue Athena - picking one up today to play
EAR 868 line
Joule 150
Purity One or Ref
Audio Valve Ekilpse

My eyes are tired from all the reading.

If you don't care about SS -- how about considering Wyred STP-SE? I had it a while before I replaced it with Joule, it comes very close, scary close, to great tube preamps.

Please let us know your impressions of Athena - I was interested in it before I went with Joule but there were absolutely no owner impressions available at that time.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #77 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:19 pm »
If you don't care about SS -- how about considering Wyred STP-SE? I had it a while before I replaced it with Joule, it comes very close, scary close, to great tube preamps.

Please let us know your impressions of Athena - I was interested in it before I went with Joule but there were absolutely no owner impressions available at that time.

It's in my trunk as we speak.  I have a teleconference with Brazil at 8 PM so not sure how much time I will get to play today. 

Was a very good experience at the dealer - he basically handed it to me and said enjoy.  No deposit, no reference check, no blood sample.  Said he never has been burned by an audiophile yet.  buwaaa haaa haa haa!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #78 on: 17 Sep 2010, 03:34 am »
Hey Pete...

Let's see....

Tubed with balanced outputs....check

Remote volume.....check

Works with BAT....check

Looks good.....check

Reviews....check

Available used....check