Preamp shopping

Big Red Machine

Preamp shopping
« on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:33 pm »
Next year is going to be a much better year, however, I will be pre-less come Friday afternoon.

Under consideration are the following units, pretty much used is more affordable, and I'm considering both stop-gap units and higher possible-keepers in the tubed with balanced outputs group (remote vol is a plus):

Ear 868
Audio Note XX?
BAT VK51SE or 31SE or 32SE
Purity One or Reference
Nagra PLP (a little above my range)
Atma-Sphere MP-3
VTL 5.5 (probably a stop gap)
VAC xx??
Cary SLP05
Cary SLP2002 (probably a stop gap)
Aesthetix Callisto
Belles 21A (probably a stop gap)

What experience do you have with any of these in the up to $5k used or new area?  Or suggestions?

Using BATVK500 amp.

Big Red Machine

Re: Preamp shopping
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:38 pm »
And yes, I peruse Agon continuously.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:39 pm »
I replaced a Cary SLP-05 with a Dodd Audio Buffer.
http://doddaudio.com/BatteryPoweredTubeBufferPreamp.aspx

I think you should also put a "Dude" on your list. http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/products/dude.html

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:44 pm »
I replaced a Cary SLP-05 with a Dodd Audio Buffer.
http://doddaudio.com/BatteryPoweredTubeBufferPreamp.aspx

I think you should also put a "Dude" on your list. http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/products/dude.html

Why no love for the Cary?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:49 pm »
Why no love for the Cary?

Oh no, I loved it until I heard the buffer. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:57 pm »
No experience with any of these, but I have a Gill Audio Design Alana vacuum tube pre amp and it is an outstanding pre amp. $5,000 new with a remote. $6,500 with the Vinyl Refence phono stage. David Gill works closely with Joe Fratus at Art Audio. Here's a link to the pre amp http://www.gillaudio.com/Current_Products.htm

« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm by vinyl_lady »

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:59 pm »
I would add Supratek, Dodd/RWA and custom preamps from TAL.

wywires

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:00 pm »
I currently have an EAR 868 with phono. Superb in my opinion

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:03 pm »
I love my Atma-Sphere MLS-1, a line stage only version of the MP-1, and paid far less than your target price used.  MP-3 includes phono which you may or may not need and unfortunately no remote.  It's built like a tank with extra armor and Ralph's support allows you to keep used units current and relevant.  Mine uses a 12AU7 gain stage and a pair of 6SN7's as drivers which are less critical, if you have a good stash available already.  The other models use 6SN7's in the gain stage as well so only one flavor to deal with.  Highly recommended.

BobRex

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:35 pm »
You might also want to look at the Herron and Joule Electra.  Also, don't lose sight of BAT and Connie J, or for that matter Audio Research.

*Scotty*

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:58 pm »
You might want to look at the Convergent Audio Technologies SL1 Renaissance preamplifier
See link for review
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/convergent_audio_technology_sl1_renaissance_preamplifier/index.html
Scotty

jhm731

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2010, 08:45 pm »
Why not look for a DAC with volume controled balanced outputs to directly drive your BAT VK500?

Berkeley, Weiss, PSAudio and Wyred 4 Sound all make DACs with volume controled balanced outputs. If you want tubes, take a look at the Ayon Skylla.

Eric

« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm »
It does not have a remote, but I would highly recommend the SAS 11A

rave959

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:43 pm »
Next year is going to be a much better year, however, I will be pre-less come Friday afternoon.

Under consideration are the following units, pretty much used is more affordable, and I'm considering both stop-gap units and higher possible-keepers in the tubed with balanced outputs group (remote vol is a plus):

Ear 868
Audio Note XX?
BAT VK51SE or 31SE or 32SE
Purity One or Reference
Nagra PLP (a little above my range)
Atma-Sphere MP-3
VTL 5.5 (probably a stop gap)
VAC xx??
Cary SLP05
Cary SLP2002 (probably a stop gap)
Aesthetix Callisto
Belles 21A (probably a stop gap)

What experience do you have with any of these in the up to $5k used or new area?  Or suggestions?

Using BATVK500 amp.

Out of all that you've mentioned, I would go with Shindo Aurieges.  I've heard the Callisto, VTL 2.5 (IT-85 as well) and BAT VK 31SE, and the Shindos are the most transparent, with great S/N ratio.  Actually, with your budget, you can probably get the Monbrison used, which is a bit more refined than the Aurieges.  I've heard great things with EAR and Atma-Sphere, but never heard them. 

All the best,
Ian

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm »
I currently have an EAR 868 with phono. Superb in my opinion

I have zero insight into EAR gear but the 864 is w/o phono.  Any insight if the guts of the 864 are similar to the 868?  I believe the 868 is a 912 repackaged.  I wonder where they get serviced?

bunky

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:47 pm »
I would have to agree with Eric on the SAS 11A being a nice choice .I am currently running one of Bill Bakers 6SN7 based Purity Audio Design Basis Plus tube linestages with some custom options that i asked Bill to use, the Basis Plus has no electrolytic capacitors in the power supply and Clarity Caps bypassed with V-caps in the signal path. this preamp is quiet and i am very pleased with the way the music flows from it.good luck....WCW III

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:52 pm »
Out of all that you've mentioned, I would go with Shindo Aurieges.  I've heard the Callisto, VTL 2.5 (IT-85 as well) and BAT VK 31SE, and the Shindos are the most transparent, with great S/N ratio.  Actually, with your budget, you can probably get the Monbrison used, which is a bit more refined than the Aurieges.  I've heard great things with EAR and Atma-Sphere, but never heard them. 

All the best,
Ian

I will look into these.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:55 pm »
It does not have a remote, but I would highly recommend the SAS 11A

balanced?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2010, 11:50 pm »
My friend own a Burson 160 preamp, and it sounds good, despite it doesnt have remote control... it could be a nice addition to your list.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:06 am »
Audible Illusions: http://www.audibleillusions.com/products/M3A_main.htm

New 3b (not listed on non-updated website) is supposed to be the bees knees.  Fully balanced, dual mono, voltage regulated....even a phono stage.  I think it's $3500 new :thumb:

I've heard the 3a and was impressed.  Once you hear well implemented dual mono - it's hard (maybe not impossible) to go back to anything else (particularly with phono)  :)

I'd buy in a heartbeat if I wasn't so thrilled with my Pioneer Elite SX-a9-J receiver (used only as preamp and tuner).

John