Preamp shopping

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Preamp shopping
« Reply #40 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:13 pm »
Hi Big Red,
 I came on to make a post but found mchuckp had taken the words right out of my mouth.

That being said, I was going to also state that if the Cherry Purity One does not sell at it's current asking price prior to the RMAF, I can get the balanced transformers installed and send it your way to evaluate after I return. While it's not in the full production dress, the circuity is that of the production Purity One.

You will be able to hear the Silver Statement in our room at the show but this is going to be a much different system from what you have and of course the Silver Statement is heads and shoulders above the Purity One.

Either way, it will be nice to meet in person.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #42 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:31 pm »
In a review for the Cary SLP05 the Joule is mentioned several times like this:

Nevertheless, all of this means what in terms of the SLP-05? Well, I could bore you over the next few paragraphs by going into all the audio-dribble about how the SLP-05 has a really, really big presence about it. That it presents a soundstage that is considerably deeper, wider, taller, and more spacious and airy than our regular preamplifier (though not perhaps anymore so than what one would hear from say the Joule-Electra LA-150). Images have a great sense of space and dimensionality about them—and as such, are very much more real and believable, as opposed to the ever-so-more-so-ambiguous 2-D cardboard cutouts we are used to hearing.

And then I read a review where they say the Joule has less bass than a BAT pre but its midrange is very lush.

So 6 of one and a half dozen of the other it appears. :duh:

Pete,

Send an e-mail or PM to madfloyd here on AC.  He has a Joule and BAT preamp and has tried more than half a dozen preamps over the last year.

I have heard the Joule in his system and it wasn't bass shy (unlike earlier versions of the Joule preamp ).

George

revrob

« Reply #43 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:22 am »
How is the noise?  As the Joule is SE output, are you using SE cables to the Wyreds?

You can get pretty wound up in your shorts reading reviews on Audiogon where hairsplitting seems to be the norm when they compare a Joule to an EAR to a BAT to a ARxx, etc.

The Joule is dead quiet. Oh yeah I would not called the Joule bass shy on any level.

mchuckp

« Reply #44 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:46 am »
Can anyone elaborate on why choose a passive preamp vs an active one?  In what ways are they supposedly better than an active preamp?  Are they only a good choice when used with certain gear?

I've read bits and pieces of arguments both ways and I'm sure there is merit to each.  Not knockin' either approach to a preamp.  Just looking to learn.  I've been recommended preamps from both camps.

Thanks!
Mike

dave_c

« Reply #45 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:57 am »
Kind of outside your price range.  I've never heard it, but damn it seems so well designed I've always wanted it.  Fully balanced tube circuit with remote.

Einstein The Tube

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1289589227&/Einstein-'The-Tube-mint-dealer

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:02 am »
Why not get someone to DIY you an Aikido?

TomS

« Reply #47 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:28 am »
Why not get someone to DIY you an Aikido?
You'd have to build 2 to get balanced and then trim all that out.

Tyson

« Reply #48 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:17 am »
True, but still a better value, and if you get someone that really knows what they are doing, probably better performing overall.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:20 am »
Kind of outside your price range.  I've never heard it, but damn it seems so well designed I've always wanted it.  Fully balanced tube circuit with remote.

Einstein The Tube

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1289589227&/Einstein-'The-Tube-mint-dealer

Wow, Dave.  The reviews talk about dynamics and that is one thing I am interested in as an attribute.  Being able to swing up and down and in and out effortlessly.  I'm thinking ahead in case I can swing some SoundScapes some day.

Tyson

« Reply #50 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:24 am »
But there are no "secrets" with tube gear, there's very little that is not widely understood or able to be implemented.  Going DIY, particularly with Tube gear will save you a LOT of $$ and still get you the performance you desire.

TomS

« Reply #51 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:42 am »
True, but still a better value, and if you get someone that really knows what they are doing, probably better performing overall.
That may be.  I built a single ended Aikido loaded with good parts and a Goldpoint attenuator and found the Joule Electra LA150 II, DIY Zen Mod Pumpkin (balanced), and Atma-Sphere to be better preamps, at least for my taste.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #52 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:50 am »
Tom, going to Denver?

Tyson

« Reply #53 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:51 am »
Oh, don't think I'm hung up on the Aikido, I've actually not heard it.  I'm just saying that commercial preamps in particular are poor value.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:52 am »
Hi Big Red,
 I came on to make a post but found mchuckp had taken the words right out of my mouth.

That being said, I was going to also state that if the Cherry Purity One does not sell at it's current asking price prior to the RMAF, I can get the balanced transformers installed and send it your way to evaluate after I return. While it's not in the full production dress, the circuity is that of the production Purity One.

You will be able to hear the Silver Statement in our room at the show but this is going to be a much different system from what you have and of course the Silver Statement is heads and shoulders above the Purity One.

Either way, it will be nice to meet in person.

Nice for me maybe, but I'm very ugly!

Bringing any "new" References?

TomS

« Reply #55 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:09 am »
Tom, going to Denver?
I have a room, but am still trying to decide if it's worth it to go.  Very happy with my current system and don't want to be tempted.

Muser

• I post at audiogon as muser, and write for PFO.
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #56 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:45 am »
Just a note of clarification. The EAR 864 is not a linestage version of the 868. The 868 is positioned "above" the 864 and draws much of its design from the 912, sans multiple phono sections. The 864 is a tweaked version of the 834 line stage (more transparent) with an 834 phono stage built in.  It's balanced and the sound is rather strikingly different with different tubes. Tube rolling makes a massive difference in the timbre of the preamp.

I've had one for about eight years and it is quite satisfying if not the be all end all of preamps. I heard the 868 in comparison to my 864 in my home and the 868 was more composed sounding, though I'd never thought my 864 was not composed previously. Imaging, instrument differentiation were all better, allowing me to follow instrumental lines with less listener focus required. They have a house sound, as in liquidity and perhaps a slight sweetness in my system. Though I'd prefer an 868, I still have my 864 and enjoy my system. Happy hunting.
Larry

Big Red Machine

« Reply #57 on: 15 Sep 2010, 10:16 am »
Thanks Larry.  It appears you can get an 868 as a line pre for $5300 and the 864 line for $4200.  They are in the top 3 of my list so far.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #58 on: 15 Sep 2010, 10:19 am »
Biggest issue I have with thinking I'm going to find gear specifically at a show is that it is still impossible to tell how it will sound with YOUR gear and YOUR room.  How does one listen to a preamp on gear that you are not familiar with and say "wow, that pre sounds amazing".  You don't know what makes that particular set up good.

I like to use shows to make myself aware of gear and talk to the vendors about their philosophies, etc.  If I like them, their gear, their price points, and their sound then I'll come home and start researching.

Trying new gear can be a very trying experience.  I really hope some day I have a big enough slush fund to just buy and sell stuff regularly for fun.  There is so much cool stuff out there to try.

Good luck Big Red!

Well, what I meant to say is if I buy something now then when I get to the show I don't want to go, "Oooo, I coulda had that!  What was I thinking?"  So I am still considering an inexpensive stop-gap unit I can turn in the spring, perhaps to get my feet wet with a lower notch model of a brand I consider to be top tier.

mfsoa

« Reply #59 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:57 pm »
Hi BRM,

In the grand tradition of recommending gear that one owns, may I suggest considering a VAC Standard LE or MKII pre-amp. (Mine is actually a MKII but in an LE case).

Not only does it sound great, to me, in my system, but I have brought it to many Raves and it has always played well with whatever it was paired with.

I see them on Agon in the ~$2K range but ususally they sell within a few days.

If you budget is really much higher than that, well, I just can't imagine how good the ~$6K used VAC pres would sound!

Happy huntin'

-Mike