Get Together in Southern Illinois?

bside123

Get Together in Southern Illinois?
« on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:29 pm »
Hey Guys: Let me pitch a ball out there, and y'all swing at it if you like.

Would there be any interest in a music listening session, get together here in Southern Illinois? Here's the context...

I live in the Carbondale area, which is approximately a 2 hour drive from St. Louis. I have a beautiful home on 95 acres just adjacent to the Shawnee National Forest. Other than the splendor of our natural surroundings, this area is pretty much a wasteland when it comes to audio... with the exception of a small circle of guys that I basically introduced to hi-fi. Even so, I have built up a considerable system, with loads of additional gear, by shopping in St. Louis, traveling to other cities and using the internet. I grew up with music. You can get an idea of my main living room system by checking "Systems" here on AudioCircle. In addition, I have plenty of other gear that I switch in and out and use in other systems and configurations.

Online sales, long distance shopping and the audio boards (AudioCircle, Audiogon, Audio Asylum, etc.) are great for guys like me, but the downside is I am very insulated from actual live feedback from other audiophiles, and their ears, who can hear my system, etc. in my living space. I see that you guys get together fairly regularly up there as both friends and listening buddies... which I have neither... I mean when it comes to audio. (Okay... I do have a couple of friends!) Whenever I travel, I listen to others' systems just as much as I can, whether it be at someone's home or in a hi-fi shop. I've had plenty of opportunity to listen to others' stereos, but it hasn't been the other way around largely due to my location.

Thus, whenever any friends or family members come over to the house, they are inevitably "blown away" by my stereo. "Can't believe how it sounds." More so, most people can't believe that I would be that "in to it" and why would I even build such a thing or spend so much time and money on it. "How come you need so much gear?" All typical.

I would love to host some other audiophiles, who love to listen to music, in order to get some real feedback on my system and my approach... strengths, weaknesses, positive, negative, or otherwise constructive. I'm sorry that this is getting long winded, so here's my idea:

I host a listening day, perhaps a weekend, here at my beautiful farm in the woods. We could rack up gear, gather together favorite vinyl and CDs, BBQ on my wrap around deck, argue, talk sex, politics and religion, listening to music and make some new friends. If there is any interest at all, drop me a line. If there is enough interest, we can discuss the details and the logistics. Otherwise, my system sounds good to me, and I'll continue to live in my illusions!  :thumb:

Din Dayemi

Scott F.

Re: Get Together in Southern Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2010, 06:40 pm »
Count me in. Just say when :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:20 am »
I'd love to make a trip down to Carbondale.  Let us know and we'll head southeast to do some listening.  Haven't heard Dunlavy speakers in quite a while and it will be great to hear them again.  Thanks for the invitation and I hope I'm free when you set the date. 

daves

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:37 am »
Let us know, it sounds like a fun trip is in the making!

wedweb

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2010, 01:39 am »
This sounds interesting.... :)

sturgus

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:03 am »
If I can get off I would love to hang out.
Sturgus

BPoletti

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:36 am »
I'm a newby to AudioCircle (well, maybe been here for 10 minutes).  I live in Fairview Heights.  Been involved in audio for a little over 50 years one way or another, high-end for 30 years.  It might be fun to meet some new audiophiles and listen to some good tunes.  Please let me know when you would like to host and if I might be able to attend the gathering.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:40 am »
Welcome aboard, BPoletti!    :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:15 am »
Okay... looks like we've got some interest going. There's at least another 3 from around here who are also very interested. Let's let this run for a couple more days. Then I'll throw out some dates, and we'll try to come up with the best possible time for a get together. As the plans gel, we can discuss some particulars... gear, food, tunes... not necessarily in any certain order. Once we get an idea of whose coming, I'll send out a map and other details.

Thanks for the response and the enthusiasm. In the past, I had looked for dates to join y'all up there in St Louis, but it just didn't work out yet. It be great to bring some audiophile energy to S. IL.:dance:

DeadFish

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:54 am »
Hey, count me in, if I don't have to work!  Welcome along!
I haven't been to the prettier part of the state in quite a while. 
I bet it would be a pretty 'bike ride....

Also welcome BPoletti also!  I'm up in Collinsville, so maybe we can get together for a chat and bit of informal listening sometime. 

Best Regards,
Bill

BPoletti

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes!  Glad to be here.

:)

sturgus

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2010, 12:46 am »
BPoletti , Glad you came on over for a visit. I, also would like to say welcome. We have a great group of guys here and many are vinyl heads. It would be nice if you posted a link to your DIY table you are making. Hope to meet you soon.
Sturgus

electricbear

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm »
Thanks for the invite. If I'm not working it sounds like a road trip is in order.

bside123

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:54 pm »
Greetings everybody. It looks like we have good interest from a nice group. As I get ready to propose some dates, is there anything I need to consider other than dates and time? I could use a little feedback in order to best serve the group. I don't want to assume anything, so:

Are weekends automatically the best?
Do Saturdays or Sundays work equally well, or is there a preference?
Timeframe... Afternoon 'til whenever?
Lunch? Dinner?

Once we nail down the date, I put together the other details like participants, gear list, maps, menu, etc. At that point it might be best to hammer out the details by PM or personal emails... that is unless that is, I should broadcasting my address and other intimate personals all over the world!  :nono:

BPoletti

« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:52 pm »
For me, weekends are not as good as weekdays.  But that's just me.  Retirement provides more options.

Do you want to try listening to other equipment by swapping during the listening sessions?  (Amps, phono stage, preamp, etc.)

Do you want us to bring any food?  Chairs?  Our favorite records? 

:?:

bside123

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2010, 06:43 pm »
For me, weekends are not as good as weekdays.

Hey guys... I haven't heard any responses yet , except form BPoletti, regarding the best day of the week for folks to meet. Saturday? Sunday? Will a Friday work? Otherwise.... I'm looking at the Fall Calendar to see how things shake out. For me the dates will have to be either BEFORE October 10 or AFTER November 8. Any thoughts? :dunno:

Regards,
Din

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:17 pm »
With the 4 hour round trip, weekends would be better for me.  I know several of the guys normally work on Saturday so Sunday may be better overall.  Just thinking out loud.

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2010, 08:41 pm »
Weekends work best for me.

DeadFish

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2010, 11:29 pm »
I'm big on sundays as I was hired for my saturdays.  :(

DF

BPoletti

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2010, 12:39 am »
Don't let me interfere with weekends.  I'm retired and pretty much open any time.  It's just that weekends are often more of a family time around our humble abode.