Get Together in Southern Illinois?

threadkiller

Re: Get Together in Southern Illinois?
« Reply #40 on: 23 Sep 2010, 04:05 am »
Brad, you must have been from the next generation. Early on I believe Carbondale had at least 2 hifi shops,  in the 70's and early 80's.  A friend claims 3, but that I certainly don't remember.  There were quite a few record stores, which was something.

bside123

« Reply #41 on: 23 Sep 2010, 04:14 am »
Brad, you must have been from the next generation. Early on I believe Carbondale had at least 2 hifi shops,  in the 70's and early 80's.  A friend claims 3, but that I certainly don't remember.  There were quite a few record stores, which was something.

Plaza Records and Wuxtry merged a long time ago and still does business as Plaza Records, although they've changed locations a few times. Still a good record store, and Kim the owner is a great guy.

threadkiller

« Reply #42 on: 23 Sep 2010, 04:29 am »
Good god, thanks for posting that...I've been trying to think of Wuxtry! I kept saying waxtrax, but that was chicago. Wuxtry. They initially had the one in St Louis, around the same time as early vintage vinyl, then they opened a second shop in carbondale. 
Thanks, Brad, for posting that! 
Plaza, haven't been there in years....or quatro's!!! whole wheat crust was to die for.  My other eating fav, booby's, went south a long time ago. yuck! are they still open?

bregez

« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2010, 02:47 pm »

Plaza, haven't been there in years....or quatro's!!! whole wheat crust was to die for.  My other eating fav, booby's, went south a long time ago. yuck! are they still open?
Quatro's is still there, probably the best pizza in town and Wednesday night was dollar pitchers!  Not sure about Pag’s or LaRoma’s, I think one of them closed.  Of course the Pizza King (PK’s) is still there, do they even have Pizza?  Booby’s closed within the last year, the Hanger 9’s roof blew off in the storm last year and the structure was torn down, The Tap was in disrepair and was tore down.  I think Mugsy’s is now a CVS.  That IGA grocery store by Lewis park has become a night club with a variety of names (Checkers, Smilin Jacks, Detours, etc..) and that movie theater by Lewis Park has become The Copper Dragon. 
My first year living in Carbondale was 1993 so I missed the HiFi stores.  I think PMac Music behind Murdale has a decent selection of used records and CD’s.  When the college students need money it seems that their CD collection is the first thing to go.

SLC

« Reply #44 on: 20 Oct 2010, 10:09 pm »
Hi everyone !
 As you can see i am a very new newbie. I just discovered this thread. Like Bside I am from the Carbondale area as well. I would also be very interested in attending a Southern Illinois get together.

daves

« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:08 am »
Starting to get psyched for this one!

bside123

« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:43 pm »
Starting to get psyched for this one!

We're getting psyched too. :bounce: I have a couple of friends here, who have recently gotten into audio, that will be helping me prepare the festivities. Dave, you mentioned having not heard Dunlavy's in a long time. I have two sets on hand: SC IIs & SC IIIs. They continue to sound great to me, and I will be interested in the group's critique. Some other goodies as well. I'll check in with everybody the week before the event, just to make sure everything's tracking and to do a head count for food. Din

BPoletti

« Reply #47 on: 20 Nov 2010, 02:11 am »
I've finally cleared Sunday for a while.  Looking forward to the get together. 

Could someone post or send the directions? 

Bill

bside123

« Reply #48 on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:14 am »
Thanks to all who made it to our first Audio Circle gathering in Southern Illinois. All told there were nine of us: Din D., Mark B., Scott F., Bill P., Scott H., Sam C., Ber B., Rafi R., & Manzi K. We had a great time, good food, good company, made friends, and of course, listened to killer tunes. I mean killer... as somehow, the "Maggot Brain" guitar solo by Funkadelic on vinyl emerged as the St. Louis contingency favorite. Mark brought it, and we made sure that he took it away. Here's a pic of some of us with speakers: KEF 104.2; Dunlavy SC-III, Dunlavy SC-II, Fritz Grove and Acoustic Zen Adagio Jr.

Hope to do this again sometime, and we're looking forward to joining some of the St. Louis events.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #49 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:58 am »
Looks like an awesome time... I look forward to making the next one

Scott F.

« Reply #50 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:25 pm »
Din,

I had a blast, thanks for inviting us down  :thumb: Although each had their own favs, I personally like the Dunlavy 2s especially for rock. They had lots of jump in your system. I really liked the modded Eastern Electric phonostage too.

....hey...why did you guys pull Maggot Brain off the table?...my flashbacks were just starting to kick in  :lol:

Rafi, great job of the food  :green:

I've got to admit, you live an fascinating life. You've built your own sustainable home from indigenous and recycled materials, grow your own food and can live 'off the grid' for extended periods. It's awesome what you've achieved. Not to mention you travel the world teaching people how to do the same thing. I'd love to sit down and spend some time and just talk about your experiences.

Anyway, thanks for inviting us down. It was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon  :thumb:

...and here is my one picture contribution for the Gathering in SI.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #51 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:41 pm »
Sounds like a blast.  Wish I could have made it. 

Will definitely check it out next time.

Bryan

Blackmore

« Reply #52 on: 22 Nov 2010, 09:17 pm »
"Mind on my money, and my money on my mind"  The deer were scattering with the Lincoln blasting Snoop Dogg on Highway 3.  :lol: :lol:  (Scott, I didn't slip up at school today and use any of Snoop's lyrics in a conversation with a child)
First time I ever used earplugs in a car.  :o

I really enjoyed the evening.  The 2s were my choice for rock, the 3s were smoother and had a better portrayal of voice.  Both were just plain fun, fun, fun.  Nice gear, Din and great food Rafi and Manzi.  Please have us back down once the Tranquility SE DAC is ready to go.  Very interested in that piece. 

BPoletti

« Reply #53 on: 22 Nov 2010, 09:53 pm »
Glad everyone got back without incident.  I shook hands with a couple of does.  No scathing or fur/paint exchanges.  No harm, no foul (fowl?). 

Nice to meet everyone.  Twas a pleasant afternoon.  Wish I could have stayed longer. 

SLC

« Reply #54 on: 22 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm »
Had a great time last night. Din, you were a wonderful host, great food and awesome sounds! It was a pleasure meeting everyone that came.

Sam

wedweb

« Reply #55 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:25 am »
I was wanting to go but other obligations crept in.

Your place looks great in the photos.  And Scott's comments about your house and stuff is exactly what I have be researching.  Now, not only for missing the audio experience, I missed being able to pick your brain on your existence living.  Maybe you can post a thread explaining what you did for your house, power and food, etc.

Bo

rafi

« Reply #56 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:32 pm »
Hello guys,

This is my first post in AudioCircle. I wanted to thank everyone who came down to the Southern Illinois get together. I had a great time, great talking to guys who have been around this stuff longer than I've been alive! I've also enjoyed the pictures of your systems that you have posted -- cool stuff. Scott F., I went down to the woods the other day and the trees were still vibrating from the sound coming off your car system -- awesome.

I hope we can get together again.

Rafi

SLC

« Reply #57 on: 27 Nov 2010, 08:50 pm »
Hey Rafi ,
                          Welcome!

Sam