Speaker Cable Recommendations

1oldguy

Re: Speaker Cable Recommendations
« Reply #40 on: 21 Aug 2010, 08:54 pm »
I have heard the Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun speaker cables with complete Bryston system and i liked them so much ....i ordered them.Fast/detailed/and amazing bass
...however they are not cheap.

http://www.acousticzen.com/Speaker_Cables.html

When you say not cheap...What would it cost for a pair?

Thanks

VOLKS

« Reply #41 on: 21 Aug 2010, 09:11 pm »
When you say not cheap...What would it cost for a pair?

Thanks

Retail MSRP is over 7K a pair

1oldguy

« Reply #42 on: 21 Aug 2010, 09:14 pm »
I will now officially go hide in a corner till morning.

werd

« Reply #43 on: 21 Aug 2010, 09:15 pm »

:icon_lol:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #44 on: 21 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm »

Retail MSRP is over 7K a pair

:o

For that price I can almost buy a 14BSST2. Or a very nice pair of speakers!

Phil A

« Reply #45 on: 21 Aug 2010, 10:14 pm »
:o

For that price I can almost buy a 14BSST2. Or a very nice pair of speakers!

Or even a couple of thousand Happy Meals :green:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #46 on: 21 Aug 2010, 10:24 pm »
I'm still breaking-in my Rondo 4x4.0 from Supra, very neutral. It was $18 per meter, plus I had to terminate it. One also got tech-flex, other still the ice blue jacket only, not sure which I like the look of more.   :scratch:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84401.msg820970#msg820970

KeithA

« Reply #47 on: 21 Aug 2010, 11:29 pm »

Brandon

If you even think about spending $7k on speaker cables...I'll personally drive across town and slap you silly  :lol: :lol:

Keith

KeithA

« Reply #48 on: 21 Aug 2010, 11:32 pm »
Or even a couple of thousand Happy Meals :green:

You'd certainly find the Happy Meals more fulfilling  :wink:

Keith

Phil A

« Reply #49 on: 21 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm »
In about 10 minutes, I'm going to be wiring some speakers in the secondary basement system.  I picked up a sweet deal ($499.99) on a Pioneer 1120 receiver.  With the old receiver, I was using an NAD amp on the center channel and the cable is too short to make it to the receiver and I'm going to use the NAD for the height channels.  I'm going to be using Belden 83030 as I don't want to go out and buy stuff for a system that gets used most often for daytime TV during football season.  If I had more 83030 laying around I'd double it up but it probably only a bit over 15 feet I'd guess from the center channel to the receiver and the speaker is 8 ohms anyway.  What is Belden 83030.  It is 16 ga. internal appliance wire.  Years back I had a bought a used pair of $600 speaker cables on a good deal of a known brand.  I liked the double run of Belden 83030 better (it comes in about 10 colors - I bought a spool of red and black and if you want to dress it up some techflex is easy) and I had given the $600 cable to my brother and he also like the 83030 and I sold the $600 cable for about $5 less than I bought it for used after shipping costs.  Prices have probably gone up (as I bought many years back) but it was a hair under $50 for a 100 ft. spool back then.  That leaves lots of extra money for Happy Meals too :P

werd

« Reply #50 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:39 am »
You'd certainly find the Happy Meals more fulfilling  :wink:

Keith

No  :lol:, the happy meals will kill you.... those speaker cables won't kill ya. At least they are excellent cables whether you think they are too expensive or not.

1oldguy

« Reply #51 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:17 pm »
Yes I agree with you werd.It's really no ones right to decide what somebody else decides to pay for anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMfN0UFqms

Robert D

« Reply #52 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:52 pm »
I have been using this Speaker Cable Audioquest Type 8
I have 4 Runs of 27ft per speaker.

See below

Robert

Fast, Dynamic and Powerful!  Type 8 uses a carefully finessed combination of Long-Grain Copper (LGC) and extremely high purity Perfect-Surface Copper (PSC) conductors. All conductors are solid, which prevents strand interaction, a major source of distortion. Surface quality is critical because a conductor can be considered as a rail-guide for both the electric fields within a conductor, and for the magnetic fields outside the conductor. LGC has fewer oxides within the conducting material, less impurities, less grain boundaries, and definitively better performance. The astonishingly smooth and pure PSC further eliminates harshness and greatly increases clarity compared to OFHC, OCC, 8N and other coppers.

Audioquest cables are legendary in audiophile circles for their neutrality and resolution. For 28 years, Audioquest has worked tirelessly to achieve sonic neutrality in all their cables, regardless of price. Ensuring that music flows unchanged and uncolored requires removing the myriad distortions that occur when a signal flows through a cable. To accomplish this, Audioquest bypassed conventional cable design and focused their efforts on both the physical properties and sonic characteristics of the conductors and connectors, as well as every other material used in the creation of their cables. This unorthodox approach has led to a number of innovations, the most celebrated of which is the Dielectric Bias System (DBS), a revolutionary and patented system of simultaneously protecting the conductors from outside interference and reducing distortion within the cable.

Not Cheap worth every pENNY

1oldguy

« Reply #53 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:03 pm »
Hi Robert

How much for a set?May I ask what other speaker cables you tried before going with audioquest?

Robert D

« Reply #54 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:27 pm »
1oldguy Around $800.00 a pair 27 ft long with Banana connectors
$3200.00 Total to Bi wire what you see.

The other cables that I have had
1st set was from Canadian Tire 14 gauge stranded plain Jane…
At the time the runs were not Bi wired on a set of Paradigm Monitors Series. In the early 80’s ..
I up graded my Speakers from the Monitor Series to the Studio Series
That were brand New in the 90’s .The Speakers were Bi wired at the store here in Montreal …. Sound Source something like that.
They were Bi-wired with Monster Speaker wire.
Robert

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #55 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:40 pm »
Awesome Robert  :thumb:

Be well...

Robert D

« Reply #56 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:54 pm »
Thank you Laundrew

Here is a Cross Section look at the cable

Robert

KeithA

« Reply #57 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:35 pm »
Yes I agree with you werd.It's really no ones right to decide what somebody else decides to pay for anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMfN0UFqms

That was a joke Brandon...I actually have Acoustic Zen cables on my system  :wink:

Keith

1oldguy

« Reply #58 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:39 pm »
That was a joke Brandon...I actually have Acoustic Zen cables on my system  :wink:

Keith

Hi Keith...I wasn't referring to anyone post. :dance: :beer:  :guitar: I like the different strokes song so any chance to get it in there is good.lol :thumb:
I take it they bring the system to another level?Which version of them are you using?

Robert D

« Reply #59 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:43 pm »

LOL  Robert