Speaker Cable Recommendations

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Speaker Cable Recommendations
« Reply #80 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:32 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have been playing around with speaker cables for years and I have finally decided to offer a Bryston Speaker cable. I am in the process of getting it manufactured. We will terminate it with our current Bryston Spades or Expandable Bananas and offer it for sale shortly. 

It wil be a four conductor twisted pair.  12 guage with very very low inductance.  Will be Black with Bryston in White printed on the cable and called Bryston SC4.

james

Great idea James. Makes alot of sense. If the price is reasonable they should sell like hotcakes. Best of luck..
charles

1ZIP

« Reply #81 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:36 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have been playing around with speaker cables for years and I have finally decided to offer a Bryston Speaker cable. I am in the process of getting it manufactured. We will terminate it with our current Bryston Spades or Expandable Bananas and offer it for sale shortly. 

It wil be a four conductor twisted pair.  12 guage with very very low inductance.  Will be Black with Bryston in White printed on the cable and called Bryston SC4.

james

I'm interested, rough idea what the price per meter would be?

1oldguy

« Reply #82 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:42 pm »
Hi Folks,

James

I take it you feel it will be an upgrade from what Bryston sells now?Curious about this myself since I don't have any speaker wire at all.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:46 pm »
I'm interested, rough idea what the price per meter would be?

Not set in stone but about $8.00 a foot.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #84 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:52 pm »
I take it you feel it will be an upgrade from what Bryston sells now?Curious about this myself since I don't have any speaker wire at all.

Yes I have found that very low self-inductance works well in a speaker cable.  The problem with designing a low self inductance cable is the capacitance rises as a consequence. Bryston amps have no issue driving capacitance so its a good match.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #85 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:31 pm »

james

Sounds reasonable.

Robert D

« Reply #86 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:17 am »
Yes I have found that very low self-inductance works well in a speaker cable.  The problem with designing a low self inductance cable is the capacitance rises as a consequence. Bryston amps have no issue driving capacitance so its a good match.

james

James, I guess that's why I have such Good Sound 4 Runs per speaker running to 2 4bsst'2  :thumb:

Robert

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #87 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:26 am »
Hi Folks,

james

:rock:

BrysTony

« Reply #88 on: 25 Aug 2010, 11:22 pm »

james
When do you think they will go up on the website for sale?
Tony

Stu Pitt

« Reply #89 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:11 am »
James,

Great to see you guys are taking this speaker wire out of the hands of these (mostly) con artists.   I'm glad another no nonsense manufacturer is making their own stuff. 

Saying that, are you guys making them, or will it be your design OEMed by someone else?   Very interested either way.   Also, is their a ball park ETA?

vegasdave

« Reply #90 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:16 am »
I agree.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #91 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:23 am »
James,

Great to see you guys are taking this speaker wire out of the hands of these (mostly) con artists.   I'm glad another no nonsense manufacturer is making their own stuff. 

Saying that, are you guys making them, or will it be your design OEMed by someone else?   Very interested either way.   Also, is their a ball park ETA?

I Stu,

We designed it but we are having a US wire company making it for us to our spec.

Be a couple of months before its ready.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #92 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:44 am »
Sounds great!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #93 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:46 am »
I'll be looking forward to it.  Will it be available on-line only, or through dealers?  My local guys are Audiocom in Greenwich, CT.  Great guys.  You mentioned asking the owner about something that happened when he opened up a tuner.  Haven't bumped into him yet.  When I do, I'll ask.

Phil A

« Reply #94 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:52 am »

james

James any clue on the specs?  The speaker cables I made have these properties:

Capacitance    27 pf/ft @1 kHz, Nominal Conductor to Conductor

Inductance   0.16 µH/ft, Nominal

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:31 pm »
^^^^^^^

Here's the lit so far.

MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Speaker Cable

August, 2010

Hi All,

Bryston is pleased to announce the introduction of a Bryston Speaker cable.

The Amplifier/Speaker interface is a 'low impedance' connection. Therefore, in a speaker cable you are looking for low 'self inductance' (because inductance rolls off the top end) as opposed to 'low capacitance' required in the RCA or XLR analogue interconnect. For speaker cables we use a stranded 12 gauge linear crystal copper terminated with 'Heavily Gold plated' Spade lugs or Expandable Banana plugs specially made for Bryston if required.

A speaker cable should have very low series resistance (R), and series inductance (L), while shunt capacitance (C), is relatively unimportant in this low impedance, high current application. Shielding is almost a non-issue in speaker cables as signal levels are very large and circuit impedances very low. Speaker cables, however, should be kept as short as possible to minimize power losses and the associated dynamic compression of the music signal. If a choice must be made as to which of your cables should be made longer, always let the additional length be taken up with your interconnects.

The Bryston speaker cable utilizes Four 12-gauge multi-strand conductors of OFC copper with advanced insulation. Bryston SC4 speaker cable provides accurate signal transfer and an ideal match to any Bryston amplifier. It provides power and control for maximum performance especially over long lengths. The SC4 employs twisted combined opposing conductors (red and white) to positive and black/gray) to negative for very low self inductance. Also the cable can easily be configured for utilization in Bi-Wired applications. 

Charcoal jacket; 9.5mm (.375”) diameter
Resistance .0008 ohms/ft                             
Capacitance 70pF/ft                                       
Inductance  .09 uH (microhenrys) /ft
In-wall rated

Regards,
James Tanner,
Bryston, Ltd
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2010, 05:53 pm by James Tanner »

1oldguy

« Reply #96 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:38 pm »
Hi James

May I ask about the specks for the speaker wire you carried thus far?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:48 pm »
Hi James

May I ask about the specks for the speaker wire you carried thus far?

Resistance - .003 Ohms

Capacitance – 97 P/F

Inductance - .4 MicroHenry

1oldguy

« Reply #98 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:53 pm »
I am looking forward to giving this speaker wire a go.it would only seem logical that Bryston would know what would be best for their gear.Consider me your first customer for this.

Levi

« Reply #99 on: 26 Aug 2010, 05:40 pm »
How much is this again.  $8 per foot + termination?

I am interested!   :thumb: