Michael Fremer discusses VTA, SRA in June 2010 Stereophile.....

vinyl_lady

Jim,

spend $28 and get yourself one of these http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85851. It is a great analog tool and has a sync label for checking platter speed. It is easy to use and works great. I think it has to be easier than trying to sync a CD & LP by ear, especially if you can't play them at the same time.

Ericus Rex

One preamp is fine.  Just switch back and forth between the CD and LP to match pitch.  When they're matched (sounds like they're in the same key) you'll have the speeds matched too.  Or better yet, just sell me that faulty table!

jimdgoulding

Thanks, Laura and Rex, Jeff and Wayner.  Now I'm cookin with gas!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Jim,
I've found that a strobe disc and a regular incandescent light works just fine. You don't need a florescent light. As long as it flickers at 60Hz, you're good to go.

jimdgoulding

Thanks, bopster.  You heard Art Blakey at Keystone 3 (Concord Jazz) with the Marsalis bros on the front line.  Branford on alto?  Another young fellow on tenor.  I hadn't heard of any of these young turks save for the Marsalis but what a fine session it turned out to be.  Cheers.

vinyl_lady

Jim,
I've found that a strobe disc and a regular incandescent light works just fine. You don't need a florescent light. As long as it flickers at 60Hz, you're good to go.

That is my experience as well

steveblezy

Regarding the speed check, the easiest way that I have seen is using a strobe disc but instead of using the light, I have been using a little battery powered strobe light that is set to 60hz. The reason that I like this little guy is it is extremely easy to see the results on the strobe light. The florescent light works well, but I have a harder time to see the result of the strobe effect. I have seen them on ebay quite a few times.

Steve

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Jim,
Great record, I have it. Actually I'm pretty sure I still have it. Back in the early '90s I lost 1400 records in a storage place flood. That was a blow I still haven't recovered from. But I still had 600 of my faves and I'm sure that one is there. Needless to say, replacing that many great records hasn't been easy.

If you ever see Arts "Album of the Year" on Timeless, pick it up. Wynton is on trumpet and it's dynamite. Sound quality is great too. Another little known gem on Timeless/Muse is Cedar Walton "Eastern Rebellion". Another of my faves. Eastern Rebellion is a contender, one of the greatest albums ever, if you relate to the feel.  BTW, the VTA requirements are slightly different between the European Timeless pressings, and the US Muse pressings  :wink:
neo

jimdgoulding

Re: Michael Fremer discusses VTA, SRA in June 2010 Stereophile.....
« Reply #188 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:22 pm »
Jim,
Great record, I have it. Actually I'm pretty sure I still have it. Back in the early '90s I lost 1400 records in a storage place flood. That was a blow I still haven't recovered from. But I still had 600 of my faves and I'm sure that one is there. Needless to say, replacing that many great records hasn't been easy.

If you ever see Arts "Album of the Year" on Timeless, pick it up. Wynton is on trumpet and it's dynamite. Sound quality is great too. Another little known gem on Timeless/Muse is Cedar Walton "Eastern Rebellion". Another of my faves. Eastern Rebellion is a contender, one of the greatest albums ever, if you relate to the feel.  BTW, the VTA requirements are slightly different between the European Timeless pressings, and the US Muse pressings  :wink:
neo
Heard the samples on Amazon and just ordered Eastern Rebellion on compact disc.  Thanks.