Recommendations for my first DSLR

JohnR

Re: Recommendations for my first DSLR
« Reply #80 on: 25 May 2010, 09:07 am »
Oh... um, don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Pentax gear is great. I'd probably be very happy if I had that too :)

jman66

« Reply #81 on: 25 May 2010, 09:10 am »
n/t
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 09:21 am by jman66 »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #82 on: 25 May 2010, 09:49 am »
But, is it of practical significance... ;) low.pfile posted a list of 138 lenses that will AF with the D5000, including 57 from Nikon.

I didn't compare prices on 'equivalent' lenses, but I'm guessing a lens with a built in focus motor would cost more than one without.  Then if you want the benefit of image stabilization (VR) that is also adds to the cost of each lens, whereas the Pentax approach to image stabilization works even with cheap but excellent quality old lenses from the 1970's.  The D5000 does not have this kind of backward compatibility.

Another cool thing about the K-x is it has trap focusing.  This feature will not take the picture with the shutter release down unless it is in focus and that is also 100% backwards compatible with all lenses dating back to 1970s.  Not a bad thing for people who find it difficult to manual focus.

The main advantages the D5000 has the K-x is a better flash system and slightly faster AF-lock, especially in low light. 

I think it's better to buy a new camera with a full warranty over a used camera or one that's been refurbished - the D5000 has been recalled twice, but I'm sure those issues have been taken care of by now.  With that in mind no matter what brand or model a person chooses, it will take great pictures.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2010, 12:34 pm by Wind Chaser »

JohnR

« Reply #83 on: 25 May 2010, 02:07 pm »
Another cool thing about the K-x is it has trap focusing.  This feature will not take the picture with the shutter release down unless it is in focus

That's not a feature, that's a bug ;) The photographer should decide when the picture is taken. Seriously :) I assume that this can be turned off - I hope so. I think my D40 might do this too actually... I seem to recall setting it to manual focus to get around it a few times.

JohnR

« Reply #84 on: 25 May 2010, 02:38 pm »
the Pentax approach to image stabilization works even with cheap but excellent quality old lenses from the 1970's.

I personally don't really care all that much about VR/IS except in special cases, but if the Pentax will meter with old manual focus lenses then for an enthusiast that's certainly a plus. With the Nikon mount, you need a D200+ or Fuji S5 (not sure about the S3) to get in-camera metering with the older lenses.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #85 on: 25 May 2010, 11:35 pm »
I assume that this can be turned off...

Oh yes, of course.  The camera is packed with some many features I have yet to discover them all.  Another one I just found out about is it will automatically compensate for lens distortion and lateral chromatic aberration with certain lenses.  I thought that feature was only available on the high end model.

jermmd

« Reply #86 on: 26 May 2010, 12:40 am »
George, Have you had a chance to look at The Digital Photography book yet? Have you tried any of the recommendations? It seems fairly simple for the novice. I think you will become more interested in the theory and technicalities of good photography after you start to appreciate the really nice photos you're taking. I thought the photos you took were great. Your boys have grown a lot since the last time I saw them.

JohnR

« Reply #87 on: 26 May 2010, 07:32 am »
So when do we start the drumroll to announce which camera zybar decided to buy  :green:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #88 on: 26 May 2010, 07:44 am »
So when do we start the drumroll to announce which camera zybar decided to buy  :green:

He should just cut to the chase and get a D700.  And if he doesn't like it, I'll trade him my Kx for it.  Heck if I'm in a good mood, I'll even throw in a few lenses and a brand new Metz flash!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #89 on: 26 May 2010, 01:28 pm »

The plot thickens...

A friend at work is loaning me his Nikon D70 with an AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm lens.  He is a very serious photographer (30+ years of experience) and is going to help mentor me.

I will play around with the D70 over the long weekend and see how it compares to the Canon XTi.

As for buying a D700...I don't think so.   :nono:

Although my friend from work is trying his best to convince me to move up to a D90 and not mess around with a D5000 or its equivalents.   :wink:

George

nature boy

« Reply #90 on: 26 May 2010, 01:59 pm »
George, come on the Nikon D700 is so you :D

NB

Wind Chaser

« Reply #91 on: 26 May 2010, 02:35 pm »

But you deserve that camera.  And when you put it into perspective, it's really not that much money.  I've spent almost double that amount on lenses. 

JohnR

« Reply #92 on: 26 May 2010, 03:13 pm »
Although my friend from work is trying his best to convince me to move up to a D90 and not mess around with a D5000 or its equivalents.   :wink:

Uh-oh... upgradeitis strikes already!!

Bear in mind that the D5000 has the same sensor and AF system as the D90 - trickle-down effect. IOW you're not going to get any better image quality with the D90. For twice the price, you get a better viewfinder, the in-body AF motor, high res LCD, and a bunch more buttons to... um, mess around with :)

SET Man

« Reply #93 on: 26 May 2010, 03:59 pm »
He should just cut to the chase and get a D700.  And if he doesn't like it, I'll trade him my Kx for it.  Heck if I'm in a good mood, I'll even throw in a few lenses and a brand new Metz flash!

Hey!

What! You are going to trade your Pentax and become a Nikon spokesperson? :jester:

The plot thickens...

A friend at work is loaning me his Nikon D70 with an AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm lens.  He is a very serious photographer (30+ years of experience) and is going to help mentor me.

I will play around with the D70 over the long weekend and see how it compares to the Canon XTi.

George

George, consider yourself lucky that you have friends to loan you all these DSLRs to try out for couple of days. Not many people especially those who is moving from P&S lucky enough to do this when shopping for DSLRs.

Good luck.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 26 May 2010, 06:25 pm »
Buddy,

I am indeed lucky to have friends who are willing to lend equipment and share their expertise.

John,

Upgradeitis hasn't really hit yet.  While my friend may pushing or suggesting to go with the D90, I am not willing to spend that kind money at this point.  You make some great points about how the D5000 shares a lot of features/functionality with the D90.

Nature Boy and Wind Chaser,

While the D700 might be me and I am sure I deserve it  :lol:, that definitely isn't going to happen.  If I had that scratch laying around I would have put it towards a JVC pj rather than the Epson I just purchased.   :wink:

George

nature boy

« Reply #95 on: 26 May 2010, 06:29 pm »
While the D700 might be me and I am sure I deserve it  :lol:, that definitely isn't going to happen.  If I had that scratch laying around I would have put it towards a JVC pj rather than the Epson I just purchased.   :wink:

Go for the gusto, life is all too short, upgrade your Epson to the JVC :D.  My ribbing ends here.  Good luck with your DSLR decision, I don't think you can go wrong with advice from your friends at AC.

NB 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 26 May 2010, 06:36 pm »
Go for the gusto, life is all too short, upgrade your Epson to the JVC :D.  My ribbing ends here.  Good luck with your DSLR decision, I don't think you can go wrong with advice from your friends at AC.

NB

I should have charged you more for the Omega speakers - that could have helped fund these other items.   :eyebrows:

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #97 on: 27 May 2010, 12:46 am »
    What! You are going to trade your Pentax and become a Nikon spokesperson? :jester:

Being prone to LBA, it's better to stick with Pentax, or a brand that has fewer lenses.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #98 on: 27 May 2010, 04:04 am »
George...

I think your heading in the right direction with the Nikon.

My son has been using Nikon for awhile...he started with a D40....then a D80...and now a D300.
He's been "shooting" a lot of Rock groups. His photos are getting better and better....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artistsweetsbecker

All the camera's have held up well...he's rough with them...so they can take it. 8)

Good luck with your search... :thumb:

rahimlee54

« Reply #99 on: 27 May 2010, 08:50 pm »
Guys I am also in the market for a DSLR and have been following this thread I came across this deal http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2045808. I was wondering if I could get some opionins on the lenses that come with it.  Based on DP review I was reading between the T1i and the D5000, they are about the same with different str vs weaknesses. Just the rebates alone only make it a little more than the camera itself,  if you manage to get them, I'd also sell the printer.

Thanks
Jared