Recommendations for my first DSLR

jermmd

Re: Recommendations for my first DSLR
« Reply #40 on: 10 May 2010, 11:35 pm »
For people buying their first DSLR, let me recommend your first DSLR Book, The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby.
It's funny and well written, very simple and to the point. It is a stepping stone to serious photography.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #41 on: 10 May 2010, 11:40 pm »
For people buying their first DSLR, let me recommend your first DSLR Book, The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby.
It's funny and well written, very simple and to the point. It is a stepping stone to serious photography.

Ordered.

Thanks Joe.

If picking a camera was only so easy...

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #42 on: 10 May 2010, 11:41 pm »
I realize that CNET.com isn't the definitive source on cameras, but just noticed this on their site:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6501_7-6553204.html?tag=centerColumnArea1.1

Looks like they like the Pentax K-x

George

Here's another... http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_kx_review/

The K-x has lot's of great reviews, even 'Digital Camera' out of the UK rated it it higher than comparble offerings by Canon and Nikon.

It has lots of great reviews.

JohnR

« Reply #43 on: 11 May 2010, 02:45 am »
If picking a camera was only so easy...

Ah, there's the rub - are you buying a camera or buying into a system? If the latter, a couple hundred or more on the camera body ends up being irrelevant...

I hope you didn't think we were going to make this easy for you :) :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #44 on: 11 May 2010, 02:51 am »
:rotflmao:

Sigma glass is good stuff, it's just not great. Their glass rocks for the price point. When I did ENG / Indy Film Stuff, I always wound up with Cannon glass. No complaints. I've always thought Nikon makes a great body, and they make it easy to get great images.

My preference for Sigma is all about the Foveon chip, etc. Pictures out of a Sigma just seem to look more "normal" to me.

Ah - you don't hear much about Sigma DSLRs. Are they still making them? Innovative but in the marketplace a bit of an also-ran like my Fuji? :(

The 150 may be an exception to your rule - check it out if you're after a versatile macro/tele.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 11 May 2010, 02:52 am »
Ah, there's the rub - are you buying a camera or buying into a system? If the latter, a couple hundred or more on the camera body ends up being irrelevant...

I hope you didn't think we were going to make this easy for you :) :lol:

To be honest guys, I really don't think this is the start of a hobby similar to audio, nor is it something I want to throw thousands of dollars at.

I really just want to improve over the point and shoot compact cameras we currently own.  It seemed to me that by spending just a little more than a higher end point and shoot, that an entry level DSLR could get me something that is better and provides more flexibility.  If my logic is faulty here, please let me know.

I know a better camera won't make me a better photographer, but I have to believe that the quality of the my current cameras certainly aren't helping.

George

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 11 May 2010, 02:56 am »
I really just want to improve over the point and shoot compact cameras we currently own.  It seemed to me that by spending just a little more than a higher end point and shoot, that an entry level DSLR could get me something that is better and provides more flexibility.

It will - the entry level DSLRs are way better than any compact. As long as you can stay happy with the kit lens your logic is fine :)

That's another thing to evaluate btw - quality of kit lens. Traditionally they were basically throwaways. These days with the Nikons, the 18-55 feels light and cheap but the image quality is really quite good. Other brands I don't know about, but it's worth keeping in mind what you get with the package.

low.pfile

« Reply #47 on: 11 May 2010, 03:02 am »
If your goal is really just to achieve better quality images (rather than delving into photography) then all you need to do is get a camera that has a larger sensor than a P&S.

Most compact P&S's use 1/2.5 size sensors. The next significant step up before the APS-C sensor of DSLRs is the Foveon and Four thirds. Though, because they are new technology they tend to be more expensive. The compact DSLRs that you are considering should work fine and likely a better value. Just put it on Auto and fire away.

some info on sensor sizes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

Wind Chaser

« Reply #48 on: 11 May 2010, 03:28 am »
Once you start down a road, you never know where it will take you.  I had no intention of spending thousands dollars or starting up a new hobby.  Like you I just wanted better quality, but owning a DSLR demands more from you to get that quality. 

You should take up Woodsyi's generous offer to try the XTi out.  If you choose to buy a camera instead, make sure you get from some place that has a good return policy in the event you decide you don't want to keep it.

droht

« Reply #49 on: 11 May 2010, 04:26 am »
It will - the entry level DSLRs are way better than any compact. As long as you can stay happy with the kit lens your logic is fine :)

That's another thing to evaluate btw - quality of kit lens. Traditionally they were basically throwaways. These days with the Nikons, the 18-55 feels light and cheap but the image quality is really quite good. Other brands I don't know about, but it's worth keeping in mind what you get with the package.

What he said.

The Canon kit lens (18-55 IS) is also very good for what it costs, as is the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens for ~$100.  Screw that on a basic DSLR and you can take some great low light shots and some nice portraits with background blurred.  The other cheap Canon entry level lens is the 55-250 IS for some zooomability.  Those three lenses can be had used for a total of <$400.  You can pick up a Canon XSi for <$400 as well.  Or, if you want video, look at the T1i, which may run $500 ish.  Awesome starter kit for less than a nice pair of ICs and a decent power cable.  ;)

I'd buy used on POTN forum.  Tons of gear for sale there and plenty of established members to buy from.  If you decide that DSLR isn't for you, or if you want to upgrade, it is pretty easy to re-sell at no or minimal loss.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #50 on: 11 May 2010, 12:34 pm »
George,

I am not trying to unload the camera to you.  You can just try this DSLR and see if DSLR is what you want over the convenience of P&S.  I plan to give it to my daughter who has shown an interest in taking pictures.  She gets the funniest angles for her shots -- pretty interesting really.  She uses the camera on her digicam (my old one) right now.  Her stills are better than her videos, which give you a head ache from all the shakes and whipping (as opposed to panning).:wink: Digital camera is such a god send for kids. I don't have to spend any money to develop pictures, most of which is just trash.  We started with one of those kid's USB camera and she was not happy with the capability.  She said she wanted her camera to "see" closer since we don't allow her to get off the trails in the park.  She is on full auto at the moment but she is learning how to position herself in relation to sun to frame her shots.  I am not telling her anything technical -- just letting her enjoy.  When we go over the pictures, I tell her why some pictures look the way they do when she asks.   

I can include the cheap but very good F1.8 50mm prime Wind Chaser mentioned and a couple of Sigma zooms.  One is 70-300mm APO and I think a wide angle.  You should be able to figure out if DSLR with interchangeable lenses works for your needs.  I have a battery grip for it too if you don't mind the extra bulkiness for longer shooting time.  I think it actually balances better with the grip but it does add weight. 

« Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 01:55 pm by woodsyi »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 11 May 2010, 01:35 pm »
George,

I am trying to unload the camera to you.  You can just try this DSLR and see if DSLR is what you want over the convenience of P&S.  I plan to give it to my daughter who has shown an interest in taking pictures.  She gets the funniest angles for her shots -- pretty interesting really.  She uses the camera on her digicam (my old one) right now.  Her stills are better than her videos, which give you a head ache from all the shakes and whipping (as opposed to panning).:wink: Digital camera is such a god send for kids. I don't have to spend any money to develop pictures, most of which is just trash.  We started with one of those kid's USB camera and she was not happy with the capability.  She said she wanted her camera to "see" closer since we don't allow her to get off the trails in the park.  She is on full auto at the moment but she is learning how to position herself in relation to sun to frame her shots.  I am not telling her anything technical -- just letting her enjoy.  When we go over the pictures, I tell her why some pictures look the way they do when she asks.   

I can include the cheap but very good F1.8 50mm prime Wind Chaser mentioned and a couple of Sigma zooms.  One is 70-300mm APO and I think a wide angle.  You should be able to figure out if DSLR with interchangeable lenses works for your needs.  I have a battery grip for it too if you don't mind the extra bulkiness for longer shooting time.  I think it actually balances better with the grip but it does add weight.

PM sent.

I am going to take advantage of Woodsyi's tremendous generosity.

Will let you know how it goes.

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 11 May 2010, 01:42 pm »

Good move.  :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #53 on: 11 May 2010, 01:48 pm »
I would pick Canon or Nikon and go with it. Both can take you wherever you want to go. Just choose the model that meets your price point, size limit and weight tolerance (the better ones can get pretty heavy to hold and hang around your neck). I would opt to upgrade any standard kit lens to something better, like an 18-200mm zoom where it becomes really flexible and you don't have to go changing lenses all the time (convenience factor).

Good luck,
Bob

PhilNYC

« Reply #54 on: 11 May 2010, 01:56 pm »
PM sent.

Will let you know how it goes.

George

One quick note...one of the biggest adjustments in using a DSLR vs. a P&S is using "Live View".  On P&S cameras, you have a screen on the back of the camera that shows you a live view of the picture you are about to take.  Because of the way SLR cameras work, older generation DSLRs do not have a Live View mode...you can frame your shot using the viewfinder, but you can't really see what the picture will look like on the screen before you take the shot.  In recent DSLR generations, manufacturers have implemented "Live View" with various designs.  One of the secondary reasons why I got a Sony was because their implementation of "Live View" mimicked that of a P&S the best...but it's still not completely perfect.  That said, I often find myself simply using the viewfinder, then reviewing/evaluating the image after it has been taken (one of the benefits of being digital and not worrying about wasting film!).

Not sure if Woodsyi's camera has a Live View mode, but definitely something to keep in mind when evaluating whether or not you like it...

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #55 on: 11 May 2010, 02:01 pm »
I'm in the same boat as George.

I know next to nothing about camera's but willing to learn up to a point.
My P&S camera just broke and since Costco is my friend I picked up a CoolPix P100 for under $400.  It looked to be a solid camera at first glance.  Then my wife said isn't that what Ashton Kuchner uses in the commercial and now I'm wondering again.  Any thoughts on this unit?  could I do much better for similar money ($500)?

http://www.nikon.com/about/news/2010/0203_coolpixp100l110_03.htm

Thanks

JohnR

« Reply #56 on: 11 May 2010, 02:07 pm »
P&S models come and go so fast, even the review sites seem to have given up on keeping up with them... a late-model DSLR will last 4 years if you push it, possibly longer now as more megapixels makes no real sense for almost everybody at this point.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #57 on: 11 May 2010, 02:23 pm »
Rebel Ti doesn't have Live View.  My other ones have it but I don't use it.  I guess I am just "old school."  I like seeing things through the viewfinder and I really like seeing the red squares and picking the right spot to focus on the frame.  I don't have to focus and reframe.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #58 on: 11 May 2010, 02:32 pm »
Once you leave the world of P&S, do-everything-for-you-everything-in-focus-don't-have-to-think kind of photography and enter the world of DSLRs, a lot of things change.

There are AUTO modes on DSLRs and super zoom lenses and that's OK. But if that's how you use it, you might as well stay with P&S. The flexibility of DSLRs open up all kinds of possibilities, such as small depth of field. If you find you really are interested in exploring, that's when the costs can mount.

I've found it fascinating. I've got equipment that I'll never fully utilize but knowing what's possible makes me want to get out there and try things.

For instance I've got a Canon 100mm macro lens that I love. Now a 100mm telephoto lens is nothing to sneeze at. But in the case of this lens, I can just keep getting closer and closer to the subject. The minimum focus is around 11 inches. And at min. focus, it is a 1:1 macro lens. This means the image on the sensor is life-size.

That may not sound like much but if you take a pic at min. focus and display it on you monitor at 100%, wow!

Good luck on you new hobby!

Gene

PhilNYC

« Reply #59 on: 11 May 2010, 02:42 pm »
I like seeing things through the viewfinder and I really like seeing the red squares and picking the right spot to focus on the frame.  I don't have to focus and reframe.

On my Sony A350, the Live View mode has those red squares (they are green on the Sony!) to show you the focus spots...and the viewfinder only has limited focus indicators...so the Live View ends up being more useful.  Sony definitely designed the camera for people who were moving up from P&S...