Recommendations for my first DSLR

Delta Wave

Re: Recommendations for my first DSLR
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2010, 03:23 pm »
While Canon and Nikon make more lenses, ALL THE LENSES Pentax made in the past 40 years will fit on the K-x AND EVERYONE OF THOSE LENSES will benefit from the Pentax approach to Canon's IS and Nikon's VR.  To benefit from Canon's Image Stabilization or Nikon's Vibration Reduction, you have to buy 'specific lenses' that have that feature - which makes them considerably more costly.  Not so with Pentax, their approach to Shake Reduction is a floating sensor in the camera body.

Prime lenses, who's your daddy?  Pentax is famous primes.  There are a plethora of 'cheap' primes on ebay that can render color and contrast among the best of the best.  Then there are the DA Limiteds... all in a class of their own - Canon and Nikon have NOTHING even remotely comparable.

Then there are DA Star tightly sealed, weather and dust resistant lens.  Not exactly cheap, but compared to similar offering by the competition, they are relatively cheap.  But how many lenses do you need / want?  I find between all that Pentax has between current offerings and every K-mount lens ever made and all the 3rd party choices, it's pretty overwhelming.  I have eight lenses in the 10 -300mm focal length.  IMO, lenses are a Pentax strength, especially in view of the in body shake reduction system.

The K-x was just chosen as the BEST ENTRY LEVEL DSLR in Europe 2010 by the prestigious Technical Image Press Association (TIPA). 

Also check out where the K-x is ranked by DXO Mark.  Notice the cameras that cost thousands of dollars more ranked lower than the K-x.  Even Canon's latest T2i is ranked 14 notches down from the K-x. 

George, you're right on target; for the money you want to spend, the K-x is untouchable.

I'm with you on the Pentax. Affordable Nikons are junk IMO, they're point & shoot cams with changeable lenses and in my experience you need their software to read their RAW files. The Pentax is so easy to use in manual, it works just like an old SLR if you want it to without needing to program it with a laptop. And you can use any image editing software on the market to read the Pentax RAW files.

I'm a film guy and have a huge Mamiya medium format kit I prefer to work with but I use a DSLR (which is a Pentax)  for shooting bands and actor head shots. I can get a quick turn-around with no processing costs. 

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2010, 05:15 pm »
I'm with you on the Pentax. Affordable Nikons are junk IMO, they're point & shoot cams with changeable lenses and in my experience you need their software to read their RAW files. The Pentax is so easy to use in manual, it works just like an old SLR if you want it to without needing to program it with a laptop. And you can use any image editing software on the market to read the Pentax RAW files.

Um... you don't need to buy the Nikon software to read NEF files, pretty much anything will read them.

All you Pentax guys seem very upset, what's up with that?

George - I think a key thing is to get one in your hands first. Actually using it even in a store will dissipate any false expectations. Whatever you do get, I hope we get to see some actual photos taken with it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2010, 05:17 pm »
Thanks for the all info everybody.

I am going to check out a few of the recommendations in store and see what happens.

George

skunark

« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2010, 06:02 pm »
Check out the micro 4/3 format from Panasonic and Olympus.  Truely a fun set and easy to travel with and costs are much cheaper then the larger guys.   I think they make more sense unless you get a full-frame DLSR from Canan or Nikon.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2010, 08:35 pm »
All you Pentax guys seem very upset...

Who's upset?  I'm all right, the sky is blue, the sun is shining and winter is past; in one week I'll be on vacation, 5 weeks after that I'll be on another vacation, and 3 weeks after that still another vacation.  Every time I get pulled over by the cops as of late they let me off without writing me a ticket for various offenses like speeding, failing to stop at a stop sign (they are so inconvenient) and not having my license on me.  I don’t have to think about taxes for another year and usually I get a few thousand dollars back.  8)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 9 May 2010, 11:32 pm »
I've had a D40 for a couple years now. No idea how many times the shutter has opened, but it's been a BUNCH! The wife and I love it very much. You could rank us just below amateur photographers yet it still manages to take some pretty nice pictures despite our inadequacies (I can link you to the Photobucket gallery if you'd like to see). 

Now, I'm not going to compare it with anything else as I've not used anything thing else. But what I can say it that it receives 100%, A+ grades from us regarding user "friendlyness", rugged factor, image quality, and overall "romance" factor. When it dies, I'll be looking for another one.

In my very humble opinion, for the price range you gave, I have a hard time believing there's a unit that would do both (still and video) with a level of quality you could live with beyond the "honeymoon". I could be wrong.

Lastly George, If you're a bargain hunter, learn about the dangers of gray market electronics. Especially if the shipping address is from New York. Seems to be very prevalent, especially with Ebay.

Good luck,
Bob

SET Man

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2010, 02:09 am »

All you Pentax guys seem very upset, what's up with that?

Who's upset?  I'm all right, the sky is blue, the sun is shining and winter is past; in one week I'll be on vacation, 5 weeks after that I'll be on another vacation, and 3 weeks after that still another vacation.  Every time I get pulled over by the cops as of late they let me off without writing me a ticket for various offenses like speeding, failing to stop at a stop sign (they are so inconvenient) and not having my license on me.  I don’t have to think about taxes for another year and usually I get a few thousand dollars back.  8)

Hey!

And how do you think Sony guys feel? We still ain't got HD video DSLR yet!  :icon_lol:

Anyway, personally I sometime feel that talking about camera brand can feel almost like taking about religion and politics. You know, which camp are you with and etc?

Lately in digital world I run into more and more people who only more about the equipment parts of the photography than the picture taking and the picture part of the photography itself.

As a Sony DSLR... was Minolta before that....  I think I'm a bit of an outsider because I don't use one of those big name in photography world. Some even frown upon, seriously! This happen even with some so called "Pro" I've met.  One of the guy my photographer boss know is a Cannon shooter and he always poking me that Sony DSLRs are noisy. But  he never complaint about my photos. So, I'm OK with it since I'm comfortable with it got everything I want done.

BTW... with the noise thing. In real life especially if you are actually print and not viewing it at 100% on screen than it doesn't seem to matter much.

Anyway,  Yes, equipment do count. So, the best way is to go to a good store and play around with some DSLRs out there. Buy whatever you feel more comfortable or at least make you feel good about it and will work for you. And go out and take some pictures! :D

Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye and the Sony A900. But it is more likely that I will ended up buying another lens for my camera again  :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2010, 02:20 am »

Anyway, personally I sometime feel that talking about camera brand can feel almost like taking about religion and politics. You know, which camp are you with and etc?

+1. I usually have to strap on the armour before I mention I prefer Sigma...

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2010, 03:04 am »
Hey, I have the Sigma 150/2.8 - great macro /allround telephoto lens for cheap.

Nikon mount, of course  :peek:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2010, 03:14 am »
    And how do you think Sony guys feel? We still ain't got HD video DSLR yet!  :icon_lol:

IMO video is just a novelty and not something that deserves serious consideration when purchasing a DSLR.

Religious and political discussions are permitted at the Pentax Forums; having peeked around there once I didn't see anything nearly as volatile as some of the heated debates between the K-x and K-7.  Having said that, it seems most people aren't too obsessed with their gear.  I've seen a number of people switch systems to and fro and no one has been treated with the any disrespect. However I wouldn't ditch one system for another; if anything, I can see myself having a second system down the road along with another Pentax body.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2010, 01:15 pm »
Hey, I have the Sigma 150/2.8 - great macro /allround telephoto lens for cheap.

Nikon mount, of course  :peek:

:rotflmao:

Sigma glass is good stuff, it's just not great. Their glass rocks for the price point. When I did ENG / Indy Film Stuff, I always wound up with Cannon glass. No complaints. I've always thought Nikon makes a great body, and they make it easy to get great images.

My preference for Sigma is all about the Foveon chip, etc. Pictures out of a Sigma just seem to look more "normal" to me.

jermmd

« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2010, 07:53 pm »
Here's another Canon deal that is very tempting. Using Bing Cashback, you can get the Canon EOS Rebel T2i EF-S Digital SLR Camera, 18 MegaPixel, with 18-55MM Lens, Black & EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens  + Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Printer for under $1000 delivered.  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2010, 08:46 pm »
Here's another Canon deal that is very tempting. Using Bing Cashback, you can get the Canon EOS Rebel T2i EF-S Digital SLR Camera, 18 MegaPixel, with 18-55MM Lens, Black & EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens  + Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Printer for under $1000 delivered.  :o

Thanks Joe.

George

shawnbaden

« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2010, 09:25 pm »
I'd stick with Canon or Nikon.

A friend of mine who is a photography buff once told me Canons are designed by engineers while Nikons are designed by photographers.  I think that eludes to Canon designs with features in mind while Nikon designs with users in mind.  At the end of the day, both are excellent well designed cameras, so it's really just which perspective you're more comfortable with.

Personally, I own a Nikon D40 with the standard kit lense and I think it's great.  I feel no need to upgrade the camera although I'd like to grab a higher zoom lense.

Good luck.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with any DSLR you choose.  They are such a jump over typical point-and-shoot cameras you can't go wrong.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #34 on: 10 May 2010, 09:40 pm »
George,

I have Canon XTi that you can tool around for as long as you want and see if it floats your boat.  I have two other higher model Canons that I use and this is a back, back up.  It's really about the lenses and once you commit to a brand, you are kind of locked in.  Just let me know and I will ship it out to you.  I will include a couple of lenses -- not the L lenses though.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2010, 10:06 pm »
George,

I have Canon XTi that you can tool around for as long as you want and see if it floats your boat.  I have two other higher model Canons that I use and this is a back, back up.  It's really about the lenses and once you commit to a brand, you are kind of locked in.  Just let me know and I will ship it out to you.  I will include a couple of lenses -- not the L lenses though.

Thank you very much for the offer Rim.

I'll shoot you a PM.

George

nicksgem10s

« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2010, 10:43 pm »
Hi George,

I would recommend doing some reading on www.dpreview.com & www.fredmiranda.com.

Fred Miranda website has a ton of buy sell ads and offer similar deals to what you can find for audio equipment on AC or Audiogon.

I started with Nikon D80 a few years ago.  The learning curve was very steep and I still have a ton to learn.  I bought the D80 almost new from another photographer.  I used it for almost a year and got all my money back when I resold it.  If you shop carefully you can get some great deals.

I then moved to a Fuji S5 Pro which I loved.  It was not a good decision to sell it.  I then bought a Nikon D2XS (huge pro camera body) which I struggled with and did not keep long.

I sold that and now happily use the Fuji S3 Pro which I really enjoy. 

I will definitely agree that you need to check them out in person.  I personally thought some cameras felt natural in my hand and other cameras felt really awkward. 

I was ready to buy a Canon 5d markI until I checked it out in person.  It felt bulky and like inexpensive plastic.  I have a beautiful photo taken by the 5d hanging above our fireplace.  It can make some beautiful images. 

All of these cameras can do an amazing job in the hands of a capable photographer.

Once you get a camera body you like then it is all about the glass.  The price of the highest quality glass from many brands will make the audio hobby look affordable  :o

Good luck on your search.

-Nick

spacedghost

« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2010, 11:17 pm »
Good Stuff!!

I'm also looking for my first DSLR, thanks for all the great info (keep it coming)  :thumb:.

Shaun

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2010, 11:21 pm »
Don't be surprised by how much time and money this venture will consume.  It's another addiction, just like audio, except instead of sitting back and listening to the creative skill of musicians, photography puts you into the driver seat of creativity.  In one sense the camera is just an instrument, you the photographer play.  Somebody explained it to me this way...

Various factors come into play when making/taking photographs. In order of importance, they are:

1) the photographer
2) the subject
3) the light
4) the lens
5) the camera

A camera is a box upon which you hang lenses. Everything else is more critical.

It takes a fair bit of knowledge and skill to get good results.  Of the 1000 pictures I've shot, none are outstanding and very few are keepers.  Granted we all have different expectations, but that's one of the cool things about photography, there's no limit to the learning, which takes time of course.  If you're not too interested in that, a good point and shoot would be a better alternative.

DSLRs have come down in price but the lenses haven't.  If you find yourself really interested in photography, whatever you spend on the camera will be quickly overshadowed by lenses and accessories.  My camera was around $500, maybe $600, I can't remember.  So far everything else is approaching $6000.  Most of that can be attributed to lenses.  If you wear eyeglasses you know how sharp everything snaps into focus when you have your prescription up to date.  In the same way, the cameras ability to see is highly dependant on the glass.  What it comes down to is regardless of brand, the sky is the limit in terms of what you can spend on lenses.

The only thing cheap about photography is the film, it's a combination of fun and frustration, but it's worth it.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2010, 11:33 pm »
I realize that CNET.com isn't the definitive source on cameras, but just noticed this on their site:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6501_7-6553204.html?tag=centerColumnArea1.1

Looks like they like the Pentax K-x

George