1 x 4B SST2 Or Would 2 x 4B SST2 be better?

werd

Re: 1 x 4B SST2 Or Would 2 x 4B SST2 be better?
« Reply #60 on: 13 May 2010, 07:39 pm »
Hi Robert

You should consider a 14B instead. They really are an upgrade interms of imaging and placement. Having owned the 4B you are using, i don;t think they would offer the same sonics bridged. You could sell your 4bs np and buy a all in one unit like the 14B.

Just a thought....

Robert D

« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2010, 01:00 am »
Thanks Werd , My Next up Grade will be to a Pair of 28B’s and Sp3
I’ll Probably end keeping my 4Bs’s 4 my Bedroom or my Den or pool Side.

As well I will be purchasing another Pioneer Elite 60 “ In September of 2010
My Wife has just finished with one of or Bathrooms..

Robert D

« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2010, 01:07 am »
Thanks Werd , My Next up Grade will be to a Pair of 28B’s and Sp3
I’ll Probably end keeping my 4Bs’s 4 my Bedroom or my Den or pool Side.

As well I will be purchasing another Pioneer Elite 60 “ In September of 2010
My Wife has just finished with one of or Bathrooms..

Renovations!  I should post some Pic's

drummermitchell

« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2010, 01:07 am »
Hey Robert,I was going to suggest that earlier,why keep going thru the 4's,7's,ect.especially when you DESIRE the 28s.I went from the 4's,7's and ended up,we'll you know where(and I ain't leavin).Thru the long haul you'll be savin a pile of coin.Sooooo when are the 28s comin home :thumb:..

Robert D

« Reply #64 on: 14 May 2010, 01:10 am »
Don, as you see Buddy I have sent in my 4bsst2s for up Grade !

Did you send in your 28b's yet ?

Mike Picket said they are shipping back on friday to me

So I should see them on Monday !

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #65 on: 14 May 2010, 01:18 am »
Don, As well I ordered a pair of 1 meter RCA's from Bryston
To connect from the Analog out puts of my BCD-1

So this way all of the Out's of the BCD-1 are Happy and don't feel left out........

Robert 

drummermitchell

« Reply #66 on: 14 May 2010, 01:21 am »
Not yet,I just made an offer on another new F-113(price was right).I figure mid summer I'll send my babies in for the whole makeover,trans,caps ect.even though I have the Torus(s)I'm sure the new transformer can't hurt.I figure I needed two subs for music and two for HT.I actuall found a place for it :o :lol:.
                         Robert,:thumb. HAPPY IS GOOD :thumb:.

Robert D

« Reply #67 on: 14 May 2010, 01:34 am »
Yes Sir Buddy

Understood ! 

I looked in to a pair of Paradigm sub 25 they are costly babbies 3-4 k each lol

Don, just to let you know my wife likes what they look like, She says they match the Room and would look Great ! LOL

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #68 on: 14 May 2010, 01:40 am »
Thanks Robert, look forward to your feedback.

I'm going to start playing tonight, first I'll compare the Pro v the C-series just single amped as I need to get some more speaker wire before I can try Bi-amping.

Also I'm looking forward to comparing the BCD-1 with the BP26 and 4B SST2 against my Arcam AV888/P777.

Should be an interesting evening + the wife is going out for the evening so I can get really stuck in  :)
Viper

Add one of these Torus units to your set up. Things just come to life the sound stage just opens Up
Robert

Robert D

THEY ARE COMING HOME
« Reply #69 on: 14 May 2010, 07:24 pm »
THEY ARE COMING HOME
« Sent to: drummermitchell on: Today at 07:19 PM » Quote Reply Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/05/14 14:36 Picked up by Purolator at Receiving from KEN . of BRYSTON LTD at 677 NEAL DR, PETERBOROUGH, ON K9J6X7 via PETERBOROUGH, ON depot

Here you Go Don

Regards Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #70 on: 14 May 2010, 11:54 pm »
Don't know who's happier,you or me,CONGRATS Robert.
PS-sent coin for the other 113.The wifes gonna kick ma ass some good :o :lol: :o.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #71 on: 15 May 2010, 01:59 am »
Don, as you see Buddy I have sent in my 4bsst2s for up Grade !

"Mike Picket said they are shipping back on friday to me

So I should see them on Monday ! "

Robert

:thumb:

Robert D

« Reply #72 on: 15 May 2010, 12:10 pm »
James, with the new Caps will I have to go through the break in Period once again.
Is there any type of break in period?
Or Just Plug and Play

Let me know your Thoughts

Regards Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 15 May 2010, 12:55 pm »
James, with the new Caps will I have to go through the break in Period once again.
Is there any type of break in period?
Or Just Plug and Play

Let me know your Thoughts

Regards Robert

Hi Robert,

You know I never thought about that. I would assume a reasonable warm up period would be in order.

james

Robert D

« Reply #74 on: 15 May 2010, 01:08 pm »
Thanks for the feedback James.

Robert

Vipers

« Reply #75 on: 26 May 2010, 02:58 pm »
Time for an update on my little test of 1 x 4B SST2 v 2 x 4B SST2 that I carried out last week.

Its one of those situations were both setups have their merits, with both offering a different presentation, with neither being right or wrong, just different.

Here were my thoughts after spending a whole day going back and forth, as both 4B's were slightly different spec I used one for bass duties and the other for mid/tweet.

Pro's with 1 x 4B SST2

Cleaner presentation
More balanced and cohesive
Possibly more detailed

Against

Possibly a little lean
not enough drive

Pro's with 2 x 4B SST2

More overall weight and body
Better seperation
More low end bass and drive

Against

Sometimes a little boomy
The bass can be overpowering the rest of the music

So thinking about these findings, I think that 2 x 4B's really get the my speakers working at 100% where as 1 x 4B is probably doing around 80%, by giving 1 x 4B to bass duties and the other to Mid/Treble I'm not sure if the extra weight and body is comming from extra detail in the bass or as 1 x 4B isn't trying to drive Bass/Mid/Treble then the mid has more power and this is were the extra richness is coming from.

On the downside as my room isn't the largest I sometimes got the feeling that it was all a little too much and the bass was becoming too prominent and noticeable robbing the music of the balance 1 x 4B gave.

So in the end I've gone with just my new 4B SST2 and sold the other one on.

So that was last week, but last night was the big night, after a journey of 2 years and many pieces of kit later I finally assembled all the parts I've been accumalting to build what I hoped would be, for me anyawy, the ultimate 2ch setup :-

Bryston BCD-1, BP26MC, 4B SST2 x 1, Michell Orbe TT, Custom Built Hifi Rack,
Black Rhodium Super Jazz Mains Cables and Atlas Navigator interconnects + Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cable and not to forget the PMC EB1's.

To say I was a little nervous when powering everything up was a understatement, what if I didn't like it after all this effort, oh well, to late now first of all I put in Damien Rice '0' which I'd used a lot when comparing 1 x 2 4B's and it just sounded so right, there wasn't a hint of brightness, just a rich warm tone that when called upon would go very low I couldn't stop smiling, then it had to be a bit of Massive Attack and Radiohead, all sounding sublime, then onto the Orbe for some Prince and Jean Michel Jarre and then to see if the system could cope with all kinds of music I put on some thrash metal in the shape of Machinehead and the epic 'Halo' Awesome

I really couldn't be happier, for me it sounds 100% right, nothing lacking and nothing slightly out, just an excellent balanced system that delivers loads of detail and clarity but still with a smooth, mellow tone that just makes you want to listen to more and more, I can't wait to pull out some Nine Inch Nails, as I promised myself I wouldn't listen to any until my system was 100% sorted, granted it has taken a little longer than I thought.

Considering also that all the cables and the 4B are brand new I'd expect things to get even better, which is pretty hard to imagine.

On a side note, I sold my Arcam AV888 / P777 today, I thought I'd have been sad to see them go but tbh they could never get anywhere near what a Bryston system can deliver for 2ch.

So to sum up, a very happy and relieved camper looking forward to many many hours of listening to music rather than constantly playing and changing kit.

Oh yeah, one more thing to try, the Bryston phono stage v the Trichord Dino MK2, then thats it  :roll:

Napalm

« Reply #76 on: 26 May 2010, 03:08 pm »
[...]
[...]

IMHO you did the right thing.

If you somehow miss the mid-upper bass bloom you had with 2 amps, thicker/shorter speaker wires will help.

Thank you for sharing.

Nap.  :thumb:

P.S. With a single amp, were you single-wiring or bi-wiring?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #77 on: 26 May 2010, 10:21 pm »
Time for an update on my little test of 1 x 4B SST2 v 2 x 4B SST2 that I carried out last week.

Its one of those situations were both setups have their merits, with both offering a different presentation, with neither being right or wrong, just different.

Here were my thoughts after spending a whole day going back and forth, as both 4B's were slightly different spec I used one for bass duties and the other for mid/tweet.

Pro's with 1 x 4B SST2

Cleaner presentation
More balanced and cohesive
Possibly more detailed

Against

Possibly a little lean
not enough drive

Pro's with 2 x 4B SST2

More overall weight and body
Better seperation
More low end bass and drive

Against

Sometimes a little boomy
The bass can be overpowering the rest of the music

So thinking about these findings, I think that 2 x 4B's really get the my speakers working at 100% where as 1 x 4B is probably doing around 80%, by giving 1 x 4B to bass duties and the other to Mid/Treble I'm not sure if the extra weight and body is comming from extra detail in the bass or as 1 x 4B isn't trying to drive Bass/Mid/Treble then the mid has more power and this is were the extra richness is coming from.

On the downside as my room isn't the largest I sometimes got the feeling that it was all a little too much and the bass was becoming too prominent and noticeable robbing the music of the balance 1 x 4B gave.

So that was last week, but last night was the big night, after a journey of 2 years and many pieces of kit later I finally assembled all the parts I've been accumalting to build what I hoped would be, for me anyawy, the ultimate 2ch setup :-

Bryston BCD-1, BP26MC, 4B SST2 x 1, Michell Orbe TT, Custom Built Hifi Rack,
Black Rhodium Super Jazz Mains Cables and Atlas Navigator interconnects + Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cable and not to forget the PMC EB1's.

To say I was a little nervous when powering everything up was a understatement, what if I didn't like it after all this effort, oh well, to late now first of all I put in Damien Rice '0' which I'd used a lot when comparing 1 x 2 4B's and it just sounded so right, there wasn't a hint of brightness, just a rich warm tone that when called upon would go very low I couldn't stop smiling, then it had to be a bit of Massive Attack and Radiohead, all sounding sublime, then onto the Orbe for some Prince and Jean Michel Jarre and then to see if the system could cope with all kinds of music I put on some thrash metal in the shape of Machinehead and the epic 'Halo' Awesome

I really couldn't be happier, for me it sounds 100% right, nothing lacking and nothing slightly out, just an excellent balanced system that delivers loads of detail and clarity but still with a smooth, mellow tone that just makes you want to listen to more and more, I can't wait to pull out some Nine Inch Nails, as I promised myself I wouldn't listen to any until my system was 100% sorted, granted it has taken a little longer than I thought.

Considering also that all the cables and the 4B are brand new I'd expect things to get even better, which is pretty hard to imagine.

On a side note, I sold my Arcam AV888 / P777 today, I thought I'd have been sad to see them go but tbh they could never get anywhere near what a Bryston system can deliver for 2ch.

So to sum up, a very happy and relieved camper looking forward to many many hours of listening to music rather than constantly playing and changing kit.

Oh yeah, one more thing to try, the Bryston phono stage v the Trichord Dino MK2, then thats it  :roll:

Hmm...so biamping didn't help I take it. I figured it would. Glad you successfully sold the other amp....

Vipers

« Reply #78 on: 27 May 2010, 02:23 pm »
IMHO you did the right thing.

If you somehow miss the mid-upper bass bloom you had with 2 amps, thicker/shorter speaker wires will help.

Thank you for sharing.

Nap.  :thumb:

P.S. With a single amp, were you single-wiring or bi-wiring?

With the single amp I was single wiring, I've never actually tried Bi-Wiring as I've read mixed reports, is it generally recommended or a case of try it and see, again.

Vipers

« Reply #79 on: 27 May 2010, 02:26 pm »

Hmm...so biamping didn't help I take it. I figured it would. Glad you successfully sold the other amp....

I think if I had a larger room then Bi-amping would definately be the way to go as my speakers definatley responded to the extra power, but I think 1 x 4B SST2 is kinda the limit for my room size, I was looking for a reason to move, now I have one  :D