1 x 4B SST2 Or Would 2 x 4B SST2 be better?

Vipers

Re: 1 x 4B SST2 Or Would 2 x 4B SST2 be better?
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2010, 07:47 pm »
I'm going to make my mind up this week whether to go with another 4B or just leave it at the one for now.

If I decide to go with 2 and Bi-amp, using the BP26 as the pre, this maybe a silly question but what is the best way to connect 2 x 4B SST2's to bi-amp?

Also do Bryston reccomend RCA's or Balanced connectors to connect the BCD-1 to the BP26 and also to the 4B, it will be under 1m in length.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2010, 07:50 pm »
There are 2 outputs on the back of the BP26. I output per amp.

kingdeezie

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2010, 08:06 pm »
Not that I have heard much of the Bryston gear, but considering your speakers and their moderate efficiency rating and 4 OHM rating you are getting 500 watts per channel as is.

This should, based on the math from 1M away from the speakers be netting you 116DBS; 2 DBS over what the speaker manufacturer claims is the peak volume output from the speaker.

Doubling the power by adding another amplifier will get you more head room, but I think you are supplying the speakers with enough juice with just one amplifier as is.

Unless the crossover presents a tough load on an amplifier, I don't think anyone could say for sure you would hear much of a difference.

Perhaps you would get more driver control, and thus tighter more articulate bass; but this is assuming that your current amplifier in and of itself is having trouble.

Perhaps, using that 4K+ that you would spend on a second amplifier, in other areas (e.g. power conditioning, PCs, interconnects, electronic upgrades, etc, etc), would yeild a greater overall sonic improvement.

In any event though, more amplification is never a BAD idea; but is it the most efficient way to spend money for a large sonic gain? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2010, 08:07 pm »
I'm going to make my mind up this week whether to go with another 4B or just leave it at the one for now.

If I decide to go with 2 and Bi-amp, using the BP26 as the pre, this maybe a silly question but what is the best way to connect 2 x 4B SST2's to bi-amp?

Also do Bryston reccomend RCA's or Balanced connectors to connect the BCD-1 to the BP26 and also to the 4B, it will be under 1m in length.

Hi Vipers,

There is a pair of balanced outs and 2 pair of single ended RCA outs. If your only using a short distance then the 2 pairs of RCA's will work fine in a bi-amp setup.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2010, 09:18 pm »
I dunno, James, I'm using 33 ft. of interconnects between preamp and power amp, and everything sounds good.

Robert D

« Reply #25 on: 9 May 2010, 09:43 pm »

Vipers,
I’m balanced out from Bp26
 1 4bsst2 to left channel  bi wired
 1 4bsst2 to the right channel bi wired

Sound presentation is the difference. Clean and split as the recording studio’s meant them to be listened to.

Regards Robert

Vipers

« Reply #26 on: 9 May 2010, 09:54 pm »
Thanks again guys for the speedy response, good to get confirmed that I can use the 2 outs, one to each amp and that RCA's are fine, makes it all nice and easy, all I need to do now is make my mind up  :dunno:

Napalm

« Reply #27 on: 9 May 2010, 10:32 pm »
[...]as the recording studio’s meant them to be listened to.

Hi Robert,

For best results you'll need one of these:

Nap.  :lol:

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 9 May 2010, 11:25 pm »
Yeah, right!

Vipers

« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2010, 08:46 am »
Ok, I promise this will be the last question  :)

With the 2 x 4B scenario in Bi-amp mode, would you be better connecting 1 amp to each speaker, splitting the bass from the mid/treble? Or having one amp for bass duties and the other for mid/treble on both speakers?

Thanks again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2010, 11:00 am »
^^^^^^

Hi Vipers,

Because the 4 channels in the 2 Bryston amplifiers have totally independent power supplies and circuit paths (dual mono) it really will not make much of a difference performance wise if they are together in a common rack. 

That being said using 1 amp per speaker lets you place the amplifier very close to each speaker if you wish which is always a good idea.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2010, 11:27 am »
^^^^^^

Hi Vipers,

Because the 4 channels in the 2 Bryston amplifiers have totally independent power supplies and circuit paths (dual mono) it really will not make much of a difference performance wise if they are together in a common rack. 

That being said using 1 amp per speaker lets you place the amplifier very close to each speaker if you wish which is always a good idea.

james

Agreed with the caveat that you should ensure that both amps are internally the same version, as i believe the 4B-SST2 may have undergone a couple of changes since it was first released?

Vipers

« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2010, 11:54 am »
Thanks for all your help again guys  :thumb:

I've decided to buy with the other 4B SST2 and I'll try 1 x 4B against 2 x 4B in bridge and Bi-amp and post how I get on, if nothing else it should be fun and if I feel 2 x 4B's doesn't make too much difference I can always sell one of them on and start saving for 2 x 7BSST2.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2010, 12:37 pm »
Agreed with the caveat that you should ensure that both amps are internally the same version, as i believe the 4B-SST2 may have undergone a couple of changes since it was first released?
The 4B SST2 with the new capacitors and such does sound different. More detail and more ease.
So if your new one is not the exact same amplifier i'd go for bass from the newest one, and mid/high from the older one. That way left and right will sound the same, and you'll get the most out of the new capacitors, most of the difference is in the detailednes of the bass.

vegasdave

« Reply #34 on: 10 May 2010, 09:21 pm »
The 4B SST2 with the new capacitors and such does sound different. More detail and more ease.
So if your new one is not the exact same amplifier i'd go for bass from the newest one, and mid/high from the older one. That way left and right will sound the same, and you'll get the most out of the new capacitors, most of the difference is in the detailednes of the bass.

I would say the new one for the mids/hf.

vegasdave

« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2010, 09:23 pm »
Thanks for all your help again guys  :thumb:

I've decided to buy with the other 4B SST2 and I'll try 1 x 4B against 2 x 4B in bridge and Bi-amp and post how I get on, if nothing else it should be fun and if I feel 2 x 4B's doesn't make too much difference I can always sell one of them on and start saving for 2 x 7BSST2.

You're welcome, and cool, sounds good.

Vipers

« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2010, 09:48 pm »
looks like some more back to back testing will be needed, to find out if the new 4B will be better for mid/treble or bass, this is going to take sometime  :)

vegasdave

« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2010, 10:00 pm »
Good idea.

sfraser

« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2010, 07:33 pm »
looks like some more back to back testing will be needed, to find out if the new 4B will be better for mid/treble or bass, this is going to take sometime  :)

Also ensure the gain is indentical between the 2 amps. This should not be a problem unless they are different models, or  they are the pro series with gain adjustments.

Vipers

« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2010, 09:23 pm »
Also ensure the gain is indentical between the 2 amps. This should not be a problem unless they are different models, or  they are the pro series with gain adjustments.

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered the other 4B SST2 today so it will be turning up tomorrow with the BP26MC  :thumb: