Building a new system, options, and comments?

Big Red Machine

Re: Building a new system, options, and comments?
« Reply #40 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:25 pm »
Pete,

I snagged an older Atma-Sphere balanced linestage around that price, but I had to hunt a long time.  It was definitely worth it, especially after putting in new V-Caps.  The whole AS line is all about full true balanced operation, much like BAT's philosophy though very different topologies.  Love the preamp in my system though (no remote).

Tom

Anywhere near that price would be a steal!  You should feel guilty!  The other unit I liked was the Aesthetix Calypso - completely dual channel construction.

JeffBrown

« Reply #41 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:49 pm »
If you are planning to go big in the power section (Like the Cherry) I would at least give the Fritz Carbon 7s a listen before committing to another speaker brand.

For a DAC I really like the Monica III from DIY Paradise.  Yeo doesn't spend any time on this forum but his DAC design is pretty nice.

Well there is my 2 cents...

Jeff

revrob

« Reply #42 on: 12 May 2010, 02:39 pm »
Big Red,

I am very interested in your progress. I have the Salk HT3 and just sold my integrated. I am looking at the Cherry Jr and some type of tube preamp. Can you update me where you are in purchasing the amp and preamp. I may make similar choices.

Thanks,
Steve

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Cherry jr demo unit
« Reply #43 on: 13 May 2010, 12:58 pm »
Big Red,

I am very interested in your progress. I have the Salk HT3 and just sold my integrated. I am looking at the Cherry Jr and some type of tube preamp. Can you update me where you are in purchasing the amp and preamp. I may make similar choices.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
We have a Cherry jr demo with a silver faceplate.  Send a PM if you're interested.  Thanks.
-Tommy

Big Red Machine

« Reply #44 on: 13 May 2010, 04:12 pm »
Big Red,

Thanks,
Steve

So far have a BAT VK 3i and Cherry Jr. and some Salks.  Waiting on the EE dac.  Meantime need to fab up some decent balanced cables for the Cherry. 

Tommy, can that silver be red? :eyebrows:

Nuance

« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2010, 10:39 pm »
What do you think of the BAT thus far, BRM?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #46 on: 13 May 2010, 11:03 pm »
What do you think of the BAT thus far, BRM?

I am only using a very old SS dac so the sound is not optimized as I also have not done any speaker placement movements due to no time and other emergencies here.  I like the physical beastiness and build quality although it is all PCB and little hand wiring.  I like the operation of it and feel of it.  It does take about 1 minute for it to be ready per its start-up procedure.  Definitely built to last and other than looks this 11 year old seems pretty healthy.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2010, 12:11 pm »
So far have a BAT VK 3i and Cherry Jr. and some Salks.  Waiting on the EE dac.  Meantime need to fab up some decent balanced cables for the Cherry. 

Tommy, can that silver be red? :eyebrows:
It will take a few weeks for the red.  The silver can ship in a day or two.  Thanks.

Nuance

« Reply #48 on: 15 May 2010, 09:59 pm »
I hate this thread, as it now has me wondering if I should buy a Cherry Jr. instead of a Parasound Halo A21.  Darn you, Audio Circle!  :nono:

Nuance

« Reply #49 on: 15 May 2010, 10:01 pm »
I am only using a very old SS dac so the sound is not optimized as I also have not done any speaker placement movements due to no time and other emergencies here.  I like the physical beastiness and build quality although it is all PCB and little hand wiring.  I like the operation of it and feel of it.  It does take about 1 minute for it to be ready per its start-up procedure.  Definitely built to last and other than looks this 11 year old seems pretty healthy.

Cool; that's good to hear.  I look forward to future impressions. 

mdonohue

« Reply #50 on: 17 May 2010, 02:22 am »
I am thinking that a professional equipment system would be very interesting to try, if I
was to start with a new system. The new Crown XLS 2500 amp is not too expensive, and
some JBL SRX715 speakers with SRX718S subs would give a soundfield with no limits!
$1200 for 2 amps, $2800 for speakers, and $1900 for subs. Total (you don't want to
think while browsing this lovely site, do you?) would be around $6000. It's not cheap,
but people spend a lot more on just one piece of equipment! I have heard recorded
music at concert venues that sounded great, so I think this could really work. Plus, if
you wanted to rock out, your house would fall down before you ran out of headroom!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #51 on: 17 May 2010, 12:04 pm »
I hate this thread, as it now has me wondering if I should buy a Cherry Jr. instead of a Parasound Halo A21.  Darn you, Audio Circle!  :nono:

If you don't already own the A21, then get the Cherry.  I loaned my Cherry out yesterday as I am waiting on my DAC so we'll see what this fella thinks about it.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #52 on: 17 May 2010, 04:11 pm »
BRM:

Can you be specfic, why you rate the the Cherry Jr. , over the Parasound? Seriously interested in reasons why.

Thanks,
Harrison

Nuance

« Reply #53 on: 17 May 2010, 06:12 pm »
BRM:

Can you be specfic, why you rate the the Cherry Jr. , over the Parasound? Seriously interested in reasons why.

Thanks,
Harrison

+1 :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 17 May 2010, 06:21 pm »
BRM:

Thanks,
Harrison
  Didn't say it was better as I never heard an A21, but if the A21 was not purchased yet and someone were about to purchase an amp for a system, then I'd grab a Cherry as it might surprise the heck out of you.  I'm not sure the cost of an A21 either.  I made a rough list today and stalled at 19; the number of amps I've owned in the last 4ish years.  DAC is the only amp company I considered once again and I only sold the first one because of the 2009 economy issues.

Edit: acoustically the amp reaches deeper into the music than any other amp I ever owned w/o being strident or overbearing.  It delivers the bottom to the top in frequencies with ease and has no abnormalities that make me take pause.  I can listen for hours to it and never feel drained and with the pending dac I'm hoping to  find material it can fully flesh out for me and to see if I can make it stutter.  It runs cool enough I have been leaving it on 24/7 as well.  It's a beast and I love it.  I hope to have two of them someday so mine can be bigger than yours!!  (Figuratively, of course.)

K Shep

« Reply #55 on: 17 May 2010, 07:15 pm »
BRM,

Please let us know which Salks your using in this system.  I quickly read through and didn't find the specific model.  HT3's?

Napalm

« Reply #56 on: 17 May 2010, 07:47 pm »
Insert one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

between the computer and the DAC and you can dial in as much "tubiness" as you want.

Nap.  :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #57 on: 17 May 2010, 07:51 pm »
When I had the 4800A I really liked that thing and it's one of the few components I want back in my system.

I have to agree with you on this BRM. This is an amp I too want back in my system. Especially now that I have the Salk HT2-TL and Clearwave speakers. Preamps are not a problem for me.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #58 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:19 pm »
I have a few more cabling updates to make and some more tube rolling to finalize the system, but that new BAT VK500 is absolutely amazing.  I was like a kid at Christmas waiting to get that thing and I hustled all 105 lbs. of it down the stairs into the room last night.

Wow!  Just an amazing amplifier that matched my experience recently with a VK600SE.  I thought the Cherry had bass - pish posh, the BAT slaughters it.  Deep and controlled beyond imagination.  The rest of the frequencies are smooth as silk and very easy on the ears with lots of detail. 

I haven't been this pleased with my sound in I don't know when.  I'll update my overall system config soon.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #59 on: 15 Jun 2010, 08:55 am »
I have a few more cabling updates to make and some more tube rolling to finalize the system, but that new BAT VK500 is absolutely amazing.  I was like a kid at Christmas waiting to get that thing and I hustled all 105 lbs. of it down the stairs into the room last night.

Wow!  Just an amazing amplifier that matched my experience recently with a VK600SE.  I thought the Cherry had bass - pish posh, the BAT slaughters it.  Deep and controlled beyond imagination.  The rest of the frequencies are smooth as silk and very easy on the ears with lots of detail. 

I haven't been this pleased with my sound in I don't know when.  I'll update my overall system config soon.

Nice deal on VK1000 Mono's Pete.... :wink:  :lol:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1280796902&/Balanced-Audio-Bat-VK1000-Mono