Bicycling On-the-Road

PhilNYC

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #460 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:13 am »
It was definitely cold....mid 20s and windy.  Toes were cold, but not frozen, since I was able to double up on the wool socks and picked up some Sidi Hydro GTX shoes, which are great....

PhilNYC

« Reply #461 on: 26 Feb 2011, 06:53 pm »
63 miles, 4245ft ascent...relatively slow pace, but the climbing early on was a killer (eg. sections of 20+% gradients):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70210029

jackman

« Reply #462 on: 14 Mar 2011, 06:31 pm »
After several rides on the stationary trainer, I finally got out on the real road yesterday for a 41 mile training ride.  It was an interesting ride for a number of reasons...

1.  Only three riders showed up (not including me). 
2.  It was brutally cold (in the 20's for most of the ride) with a very strong wind. 
3.  I was not dressed properly (my base layer shirt was too small and did not cover most of my midsection (damn euro sizes!), my fingers  and toes were frozen. 
4.  I got a flat tire thirty miles into the ride.  After being dropped by my group (i told them to go on without me midway through the ride)   
5.  Riding on a trainer did not prepare me for pushing it hard with some faster riders.  My HR was 187 bpm (new record!) a half hour into the ride. 
6.  Slightly hung over from celebratory drinking with cycling group (most of whom did not show up the next day). 

All and all, it was a great time!  Much better than the stationary torture training we have to do during the winter months.  I need to lose ten pounds quickly!

baumer

« Reply #463 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:09 pm »
Sounds like a great ride! Hey, anything's better than being stuck on the trainer  :thumb:
I find the weather is tough to figure out this time of year. It was in the 60's here in Mi. yesterday but the wind is still brutally cold.
I did a 31 miler and had to peel off most of my gear halfway through the ride. I was starting to run out of pockets to put stuff in!  :lol:

jackman

« Reply #464 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:14 pm »
I know what you mean!  Bought some leg and arm warmers for these kinds of days.  I have a 50 miler tomorrow and another 50 on Sunday.  Anyone in the Western burbs of Chicago who wants to join us, just PM me. 

We start early so it's always cold this time of year.  After 9-10:00 am, things start to heat up and around noon, it gets warm and crowded on the roads.  That's why we start early, 7:00 am or so during the spring.  Tomorrow is an 8:00 start and I hope at least 5 guys show up.  Lots of guys haven't shown up because it's too cold (or was) or they complain about being out of shape.  Hasn't stopped me!

Good luck!

baumer

« Reply #465 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:40 pm »
Back-to-back 50 milers this time of the year, impressive! I'm trying to get some miles in before my first race (and only, until CX season) of the year on the 26th. I usually hit the dirt roads out in the country where traffic isn't much of a concern.

I've often thought about getting some leg and arm warmers. Somehow I just can't get myself to spend the money they want for them when I can buy a new pair a bibs for what seems like not that much more! One of these days I'll just suck it up and do it.

jackman

« Reply #466 on: 18 Mar 2011, 06:05 pm »
Baumer, you should join Performance Cycle's club.  It costs $25 or so and you get 10% rebate on all purchases and they email you with special sales.  I picked up some decent LG sleeves and leg warmers for free because I cashed in points from previous purchases.  Was going to get the Gore brand because they are much nicer but didn't want to spend the $$$.

Leggings and arm warmers are very versitile and work well in Chicago weather.  You can peel them off or roll them up if it gets too warm and they keep you pretty warm at the start of a cold morning ride. 

Also, Performance Ultra II bibs are my favorite low cost bibs and are awesome for long rides.  They are always on sale and with a coupon and 10% rebate, you can get them for a little over $50.  For that money, these made in USA, bibs are awesome.   The chamois (sp?) is very dense and Italian made and the material is high tech and Swiss made.  I forget the brand but it's the same company that makes chamois for Assos, Rapha and lots of high end companies. 

Thanks for your kind words but I don't think my rides this weekend will be impressive.  I'm still getting in shape and losing the winter pounds I packed on.  Either way, I plan to finish both rides no matter how long it takes. 

Cheers,

J

sandbagger

« Reply #467 on: 18 Mar 2011, 07:09 pm »
While not a great ride, it was my first of the season outside, and only have a handful on the trainer in the last 2 months....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73404353

jackman

« Reply #468 on: 18 Mar 2011, 07:13 pm »
While not a great ride, it was my first of the season outside, and only have a handful on the trainer in the last 2 months....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73404353

Congrats on getting out and riding!  Nothing wrong with your time and, besides, who cares.  You are the guy out there riding is bike.  Cool stuff.

Have you thought about getting the attachment for your Garmin with HR and cadence?  I find it very useful and enjoy checking my performance in these areas.  Powertap is on the way (got a used one fromo a neighbor)!

Cheers,

J

sandbagger

« Reply #469 on: 18 Mar 2011, 08:09 pm »
I actually have both, didnt bother to throw the HR monitor on, not sure if I really want to know what it was  :o

Late last fall put a new crank on( Sram RED) and havent put the sensor back on.  In the past I have had all kinds of problems with getting it to work

Have you thought about getting the attachment for your Garmin with HR and cadence?  I find it very useful and enjoy checking my performance in these areas.  Powertap is on the way (got a used one fromo a neighbor)!

Cheers,

J

baumer

« Reply #470 on: 18 Mar 2011, 08:22 pm »
Any of you guys make the switch from Shimano to Sram? I'm running 105 on my bike now and was thinking about upgrading to Sram Force. I tried a bike with Sram shifters and it seemed a little odd to me.

I'm sure it's just a learning curve getting used to it, but I'm looking for some opinions from others before I take the leap. I don't know if going up to Ultegra is a big enough performance upgrade for the price. As much as I'd love to have Dura-Ace I don't see that happening in the near future!

jackman

« Reply #471 on: 19 Mar 2011, 12:46 am »
I went from a mixture of Shimano 105 and Ultegra to full SRAM Red. I liked the Shimano and really like the SRAM Red much more. It shifts much mire crisply, weighs next to nothing and looks cool.  I have tested all of the Shimano line including the new Dura Ace and would take SRAM Red or Force over anything from Shimano (except DI2 which I like a lot).

Even though I prefer SRAM, Shimano is still great and I would not advise swapping unless you get a crazy good deal or a lot of excess money laying around. Even 105 shifts and brakes well. If your stuff breaks and you want to replace it, check out SRAM rival or even apex. They both shift great (very close to force) and are very inexpensive.  Apex is a steal and shifts surprisingly good.

Save your money for good wheels and tires and a Garmin edge.   That will give you more enjoyment than a better groupset. Just my opinion.

Cheers

J

LadyDog

« Reply #472 on: 20 Mar 2011, 02:23 pm »
As with Jack, I am a Sram convet.  Though I also have Campy on another bike.

It will take you no more than 10-15 minutes to get used to.

Unless it was dirt cheap, I would not spend the money to upgrade to Ultegra.  Just not enough difference in performance vs. 105. 

Probably the same can be said about Force too.

Each may save you 1/2 lb, but then again I have never been a real weight weenie.  A full water bottle weighs about 1 lb, then again I have more than enough of them around my mid-section from this past winter of neglect. 

Save the money for a new ride or possible better wheels.

sandbagger

« Reply #473 on: 20 Mar 2011, 03:11 pm »
Stay with what you have until you break it or wear it out, then do it as needed if you REALLY WANT.   About 5yrs ago I got back into riding after being off the bike for 15yrs.  Everything had changed as click shift(shim 600SIS) was brand new.   A buddy who owned a shop told me the 105 was better than Dura Ace of back then :o   105 is the break point between Lo Fi and High Fi :lol:  I have a mix of that and Ultegra on my Felt and love it, only reason I put a new SRAM Crank on was I trashed the bottom bracket and it was cheaper to buy the crank set than a good new (square drive) BB :roll:

Like I tell my buddy who raced Leadville last year and is in again this year when I loose the spare tire, then I might worry about the weight of the bike :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #474 on: 20 Mar 2011, 06:35 pm »
On the road biking for me:

sandbagger

« Reply #475 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:12 pm »
Pete
Looks like way way to many bright and reflective surfaces for your tastes :lol:

On the road biking for me:

BikeWNC

« Reply #476 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:52 pm »
Nice weekend here.  Rode 72 miles with 6K' of climbing on Sat. in near 80º temps (actually overheated a bit on the last 5 mile climb) and then 40 miles today with 4500' of steep climbing.  The first hill today of 4.4 miles and 1850' wore on my tired legs.  My week totals were 12.5 hours, 162 miles and 16.5K' of climbing.  I hope I'm starting to build a base because I'm not very fast.  lol

Rode up to over 6000' this week in my summer kit!  Closed road too!

Between climbs in the valley on Sat's ride.

baumer

« Reply #477 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:10 pm »
BikeWNC,
Let's see, 162 miles with 16.5K' of climbing at approx. 4.6 min./mile, yeah that's pretty slow!  :lol: That's a heck of a weekend! It sure would be nice to get some altitude around my neck of the woods.

Jackman, and others, I'll probably wait until things start to go south before swapping out components so I have some time to think about what to go with. My road bike is my cyclocross bike so I need things to be durable as well.

I have been thinking about replacing my pig of a stock wheelset with something better. I have a couple of sets in mind but would like to hear suggestions before I tell what they are.

Thanks,

Doug

jackman

« Reply #478 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:02 pm »
Bike WNC, you are my hero!  That's an impressive amount of climbing this early in the season.  I only knocked out 42 miles on Saturday and some trainer work yesterday because it rained in Chicago. 

I really struggled on Saturday but at least I made it (can't say the same for a friend of mine who had to call for a ride after mile 30!).  My HR was hitting high 170's and into the 180's for much of the ride.  I took it easy for the last 5 miles or so because I was out of water and beat.  Early season is difficult but it's great to be out on the roads again, getting back in riding shape.   

Lastly, it's still cold in Chicago and I rode this weekend without my Castelli wind blocker shirt...and paid the price.  I figured a set of bibs, moisture wicking shirt, jersey, polar-tech shirt (cheepo), and wind-breaker jacket would be enough.  After my ride, my skin on my chest and stomach was as red as a lobster.  Anyone who rides in high wind, cold weather, might want to look at the Castelli under-shirt.  They are very expensive (imo) but work amazingly well.  I only have one but may have to pick up another!  They run small so buy two sizes larger than you normally wear.  My Italian "L" fits like an American extra SMALL.  Next one will be an XL.  If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative, please advise!

http://apparel.beanworthy.com/Castelli-SG0.6-Wind-Shirt-Short-Sleeve/A/B0022NS92E.htm

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #479 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:29 pm »
That lots of hill climbing.  Typical of NC mountains.   :thumb:

Wheels?  I like the Zipp 101 aero wheelset.  However, you can spend more for the nice aero carbon wheelset.  They do help cheat the wind.