Bicycling On-the-Road

jackman

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #440 on: 26 Jan 2011, 03:32 pm »
What, you don't have the cadence hooked up? 

I was afraid you would love your 800 because I am trying NOT to buy one.  I like my Edge 500 but it's a totally different animal.  The 800 has some cool functions but I'm not sure I would use these functions (mainly directions) becaues I usually ride on familiar roads.  The 800 is mighty tempting!

My auto GPS is slow to connect.  The fact that the 800 is fast in this area is a real plus.  Very cool and thanks for sharing!

J

Levi

« Reply #441 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:13 pm »
I don't use cadence in my MTB.  I have one for my Road Bike. 

The 800 is a 500 with navigational tools.  I like the 800 for exploration and training specially if you load the Topo U.S. 24K map in it. 

If I am to buy a 500, I would use the 500 for racing.  ;)

Levi

« Reply #442 on: 27 Jan 2011, 02:11 pm »
Just an FYI... Garmin has a new Premium Soft Strap.  The new soft strap is even more comfortable and supposed to have fixed that erratic HR spikes.  This is not the same optional premium soft strap that was bundled with the Garmin 705.  The new strap has different sensors in the back and the strap is of different material. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #443 on: 27 Jan 2011, 04:10 pm »
I have the new soft-strap...the only thing I don't like about it is sometimes when I try to adjust it through my jersey, it unsnaps...and then I have to stop, pull my jersey up and re-snap it.  Not a huge issue except for when I'm wearing layers in this cold...!

Levi

« Reply #444 on: 27 Jan 2011, 05:53 pm »
The old Premium Soft Strap does not unfasten but it is not as comfortable as the new one.  Hopefully, the new strap will not come unfasten while racing.   :duh:

BikeWNC

« Reply #445 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:00 pm »
My 800 bundle came with the new soft HR strap.  It is so comfortable that I often forget I'm wearing it.  Once you get the strap adjusted correctly it is very easy to put on and it stays in place.  The older Polar type straps were always sliding down or needed to be so tight they felt restrictive. 

Levi

« Reply #446 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:38 pm »
The old premium straps sounds like similar as the older Polar straps then.

BikeWNC

« Reply #447 on: 30 Jan 2011, 08:10 pm »
We finally had a really nice weekend here, sunny and in the low 60s.  Got out for 59 miles on Sat. and 29 today.  We had 5600' of mostly steep climbing in there too.  For the week I rode 126 miles and climbed 7900', which are also my totals for the month.   :(  It's a start anyway.   :thumb:

A few pics from the rides.

Levi

« Reply #448 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »
Where are the snow?  :thumb:

BikeWNC

« Reply #449 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:33 am »
Where are the snow?  :thumb:

The snow has for the most part retreated to the higher elevations.  There are still plenty of higher roads we can't ride but the valleys are clear. 

Levi

« Reply #450 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:11 am »
I have to say that NC has one of best places to ride a road bike.  Lots of mountains. 

We got hit with lots of snow.  I can only ride my MTB on road.  32deg weather doesn't bother me.  Like my friend Trudy always say, "there are no such thing as bad weather...only bad clothing".  :lol:

Levi

« Reply #451 on: 15 Feb 2011, 01:24 pm »
I discovered a nice training area in Old Westbury, NY.  It is a 4 mile loop, very clean, ultra smooth.  Did I mention clean.  :thumb:

BikeWNC

« Reply #452 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:21 pm »
Wow there is still a bunch of snow on the ground up there. 

The higher elevations here are still snowed over generally our roads are clear.  A week of temps in the 60s will take care of most of the remaining snow.  I got out for a 51 mile ride on Sunday.  It was cool to start but warmed to 60º by early afternoon.

Levi

« Reply #453 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:27 pm »
Nice pics.  It supposed to get warmer this week for some of the snow to melt. 

It looks like you have barely room for cars and bike on the road.  Any issues with that?

BikeWNC

« Reply #454 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:44 pm »
Nice pics.  It supposed to get warmer this week for some of the snow to melt. 

It looks like you have barely room for cars and bike on the road.  Any issues with that?

There isn't much traffic.  Most of our roads have little to no shoulder.  I've never felt it to be an issue.  There are a few busier roads I avoid but most other roads are fine.  I met a guy from Manhattan last Fall down for a week of vacation and took him on a few local rides.  He was amazed at the riding and lack of traffic.  He wants to bring his club down for a training camp.   :)  We do have cars on the roads of course but the volume is seldom a problem.  Once the snow melts off the Blue Ridge Parkway, we'll ride up there on the closed road.  Riding on the BRP when it's closed to cars is like owning your own National Park.   :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #455 on: 16 Feb 2011, 09:02 am »
It's supposed to hit 60F by Friday in Chicago.  Time to take the bike off the trainer and sneak in a ride. I'm in London until tomorrow night but can't wait to get back home so I can ride.  Hopefully the weekend will be nice.

Cheers, and thanks for the pictures!

J

Levi

« Reply #456 on: 16 Feb 2011, 02:24 pm »
Ice Age "The Melt Down".  :lol:

BikeWNC

« Reply #457 on: 20 Feb 2011, 01:31 am »
I joined a friend today for a ride out of Asheville on the BRP to Craggy Gardens Visitor Center.  It's an 18 mile climb with almost 3500' of ascent to the VC.  The last 11.5 miles up had new pavement and was closed to cars.  It got cooler as we rode up and the descent was rather cold at first.  Perfect day on the bike.  I managed 9.5 hours on the road this week which makes for a good start.  I have a few pounds to shed. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69100675

PhilNYC

« Reply #458 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:20 am »
I did a Gran Fondo NY training ride on Sunday...started out slow, but turned into a fast 40 miles (fast considering the wind).  Found out that I've pretty much completely fallen out of conditioning!  :oops:  Not quite completely, but got dropped with 8 miles left on a ride that was an average training day last September.  Am seriously worried about doing Battenkill in April now...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69251937

Levi

« Reply #459 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:42 am »
I was going to come out Sunday but figured the wind + cold air will make it not very enjoyable to ride.  How are your toes?