Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #420 on: 7 Jan 2011, 01:40 pm »
3hrs 64 miles is good pace for cyclocross.  I am sure you can pre-ride the course and figure out where you stand.  Then start training until you reach your goal.  Which bike are you racing for the tour of the battenkill?

You can load the course in your Garmin 800.  Login to Garmin connect, select explore and search of Battenkill, NY.  Once you find the course that you like, export the TCX file and upload it in your Garmin 800.

PhilNYC

« Reply #421 on: 7 Jan 2011, 09:43 pm »
3hrs 64 miles is good pace for cyclocross.  I am sure you can pre-ride the course and figure out where you stand.  Then start training until you reach your goal.  Which bike are you racing for the tour of the battenkill?

You can load the course in your Garmin 800.  Login to Garmin connect, select explore and search of Battenkill, NY.  Once you find the course that you like, export the TCX file and upload it in your Garmin 800.

It's a road race, so I'm riding my road bike (Spectrum).  Won't be able to make the trip to do the pre-ride, but will certainly do what I can to train.  This is particularly tough being so early in the season...

Will see about loading it into Garmin, but will that do anything for me if I can't make it out to the course until race day?

Levi

« Reply #422 on: 7 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm »
The reason I asked you because you have so many bikes.

If you are not doing a pre-ride.  No it won't do you anything as far as Garmin and training since the course will be marked when you get there.  If you can, train the terrain, it would be foolish not to do it even once so you know what to expect. 

Drop 2 pills of endurolytes every hour.  Set your Garmin to remind you to drink every 15-30 mins.  Finally, race your own pace.  Try to stay above 85% of max heart rate throughout the race.  I've done many endurance races and that seems to work for me.   Welcome to crampville.   :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #423 on: 8 Jan 2011, 09:01 pm »
For my road bikes, the Spectrum is really the only one I ride.  The Colnago, beautiful and comfortable as it is, could work well as a good training bike since it is a bit heavy....but I'm more nervous about crashing that one since it has such a nice paint job.  And I have put my Cinelli officially to rest...it has a 7-speed drivetrain, and the rear cogs are worn down so much that the chain keeps jumping.  Not worth replacing the cogs at this point, so the bike is headed to my wall as a piece of art....

jackman

« Reply #424 on: 10 Jan 2011, 05:20 pm »
For my road bikes, the Spectrum is really the only one I ride.  The Colnago, beautiful and comfortable as it is, could work well as a good training bike since it is a bit heavy....but I'm more nervous about crashing that one since it has such a nice paint job.  And I have put my Cinelli officially to rest...it has a 7-speed drivetrain, and the rear cogs are worn down so much that the chain keeps jumping.  Not worth replacing the cogs at this point, so the bike is headed to my wall as a piece of art....

Phil, why not get a new cassette and chain rings for the Cinelli from Ebay?  There are usually some decent NOS rings floating around or maybe a new replacement set.  I'd sell it and the Nago and put the $$$ towards a new Powertap. 

Also, I finally did some "spinning" in my home this weekend.  Surprised my fitness level had declined so much since November but it was very obvious.  The Spin bike is a nice alternative to my bike on the Kurt Kinetic trainer.  The spin bike is more stable and easier to practice standing on the pedals.  I am going to wire my old Cateye with Cadence to the spin bike to make it more interesting.  Plus, the Cateye is just laying around. 

Cheers!

J

Levi

« Reply #425 on: 10 Jan 2011, 05:47 pm »
Hey Jack I feel for you about loosing your fitness.  You have to stop driving your new Maxima.  Having extra power on tap is so addictive. ;)

jackman

« Reply #426 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:32 pm »
Hey Jack I feel for you about loosing your fitness.  You have to stop driving your new Maxima.  Having extra power on tap is so addictive. ;)

I wish I could take some of that power and transfer it to my legs!  At the moment, my bike riding is like a big truck with a tiny 4 banger motor...and a flat tire.  That Maxima is a sweet ride.  After I got it, my company added Audi A4 to the list (just a basic model with auto trans, 2.0T motor, etc.) and I started to have second thoughts about my selection.  After riding in an A4 this past weekend, I think I like the Maxima better for road trips.  The A4 is more like my BMW, tighter handling and "zippier" than the Maxima.  The Maxima is larger, softer riding and has nice torque.  Either way, it's too late to change my mind...

I took some time off to rest an injured knee and feel pretty good.  I'm going to put that new spin bike to good use.  It's a commercial model and is very solid and comfortable to ride.  I'm going to pick up some spinning shoes because it's impossible to walk (in case I have to answer the phone or use the bathroom) in my road shoes, even with SPD pedals.  Also have some Spinervals DVD's coming and hope they make indoor training rides less boring. 

Cheers,

Jack

PhilNYC

« Reply #427 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:41 am »
Phil, why not get a new cassette and chain rings for the Cinelli from Ebay?  There are usually some decent NOS rings floating around or maybe a new replacement set.  I'd sell it and the Nago and put the $$$ towards a new Powertap. 

Also, I finally did some "spinning" in my home this weekend.  Surprised my fitness level had declined so much since November but it was very obvious.  The Spin bike is a nice alternative to my bike on the Kurt Kinetic trainer.  The spin bike is more stable and easier to practice standing on the pedals.  I am going to wire my old Cateye with Cadence to the spin bike to make it more interesting.  Plus, the Cateye is just laying around. 

Cheers!

J

It's a 7-speed Campy C-Record setup...no cassette, so I'd have to get all the cogs individually.  I'm considering it, but it's tough putting money into this bike given that I probably won't ride it as much (am now very spoiled by having shifters on the handlebar!).

And not looking to sell it...I'm a sucker for vintage/classic stuff, so these bikes will go on my wall before they get sold! 

jackman

« Reply #428 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:52 am »
Hi Phil
I guess I just showed how much I know about vintage bikes. I like the looks of vintage bikes and can't blame you for the attachment and admiration of their beauty.  I wish I had room for as many bikes as I would like to own! 

Cheers
J

Levi

« Reply #429 on: 13 Jan 2011, 12:12 am »
Jan 12, 2011:  Yet another trip to New York City.  The wind was so strong and very cold my water bottle was frozen solid.  Most of the time I thought I was pedaling sideways.  Between the snow and wind, I truly had a great work out today.  The weather truly sucks today.  I only saw 2-3 people on bikes today.

Central Park is in great shape

Central Park like it is

West Side Bike and Pedestrian lane

Just sharing the mlles.

BikeWNC

« Reply #430 on: 13 Jan 2011, 12:29 am »
Does the City actually plow the bike path?  How is the access to Central Park from the bridge?  Is there a lot of traffic crossing town?

Levi

« Reply #431 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:06 am »
Yes, the City, Parks NYC and other organization has funding for maintenance which includes plowing and salt etc.

Access to Central Park from Queens is via 59th Street bridge (Queens Borough Bridge) is very good.  Most of the bike lanes have been plowed.  Lots of cars in the City, I figured out away to avoid busy streets but sometimes you cannot avoid them.  Be super cautious and alert around town.  It is fun when you get to the car free lanes.  :thumb:

Does the City actually plow the bike path?  How is the access to Central Park from the bridge?  Is there a lot of traffic crossing town?

jackman

« Reply #432 on: 13 Jan 2011, 09:35 pm »
Beautiful pictures of NYC.  I'm stuck in a hotel in Michigan and would rather be riding my bike in Central Park, even with the snow!

Cheers,

J

LadyDog

« Reply #433 on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:57 pm »
Great pics Levi.  You are a much better man than I for riding in that weather.

Levi

« Reply #434 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:08 pm »
Thanks. I don't want to lose my fitness just sitting at home listening to music. I have a trainer but can only use it for 30mins before it becomes monotonous.

I am still awaiting for NYC Parks to put a dome over CentralPark. :lol:

Levi

« Reply #435 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:46 am »
Thanks Phil for the Garmin Edge 800 info.  DC Rainmaker also have an extensive review of the all the Garmin Edge products imaginable. 

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

I am convinced!

Needless to say, what will I do with my Garmin Edge 705 now?!?

Levi

« Reply #436 on: 24 Jan 2011, 04:08 am »
There is not much to say that DC Rainmaker has not covered in his review of the new Garmin Edge 800. 

Just a couple of findings:
The new firware 2.10 seems to have fixed some of the Edge 800 initial glitches. 

I was able to install the TOPOGRAPHY U.S. 24K map into my new Garmin 800!  The TOPO U.S. DVD map can be installed to more than one device.  However, the City Navigator North America NT 2011 DVD map was unlocked into my old Edge 705.  I have to buy the NT 2011 map again since it can only be installed to a single device.

Here is a side by side picture of the 705 and the 800.  The 800 looks like a Garmin 500 on steriods.   :D

Just an FYI, Garmin Edge 705 is early spoken for. 

Thanks for looking

Levi

« Reply #437 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:48 am »
1/25:  I took my Garmin 800 out today for the first time and this thing is awesome!  The 800 is much better than my old 705.  The screen is big and colorful.  The 800 responds well even with gloves on.  Map zooming and panning are 90% faster than the 705.  Because of the new screen, I see more details on the Topo U.S. 24K map that I did not see in the 705.  The 705 simply cannot display much and slow to respond in comparison.  The Topo map simply is better suited for off-road riding or in my current use.

I truly like the Garmin 800.  It even tells you what street or avenue is coming ahead.  It reminds me of a car navigation system.  I never seen that in my 705.  Needless to say the 800 is worth every penny. 

Highly recommended!   8-)

BikeWNC

« Reply #438 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:11 am »
I'm just getting used to my Garmin 800.  I've had it out on the road the past couple of days and been trying to configure the screens to my liking.  My powertap seems to work just fine with it.  I like the display.  It is s bright as needed and clear.  I really don't need the mapping feature, well not yet anyway, and because of that it will take me some time to get used to using it when I do.  The 800 is my first bike gps and so far it works as advertised. 

Levi

« Reply #439 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:18 am »
Congrats! 

As far as Garmin goes, I have owned the 305, 705 and now the 800.  I am currently digging the 800!  :thumb: