Bicycling On-the-Road

jackman

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #980 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:36 pm »
I'm a HUGE fan of Q rings. For me they really made  a difference in my average power throughout my pedal stroke. I'm an oddball in that I'm awfully efficient, but I lack output in the power phase. The Q rings helped that.
We've seen a little issue on some bikes with front shifting, but for most people the tradeoff seems worth it.

Wes, do you use a power meter?  Powertap?

Thanks

J

Levi

« Reply #981 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:54 pm »
My old Cervelo R3 is a 51cm. 

wes_in_va

« Reply #982 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:57 pm »
I used to use a PowerTap...but it made me too anal about my rides: "must stay in zone...must stay in zone". It just wasn't for me. 

Levi

« Reply #983 on: 3 Aug 2012, 01:02 pm »
+1 PowerTaps are great tool for training/recovery.  Perhaps will try one of those Quarks in the future.

I have a potential buyer for the frame already.  My Shimano 7950 170mm compact crankset is for sale + Hope ceramic BB 24mm $250+75 for the bb.  Cheap!

This is one of the best way of transferring your bike settings.

jackman

« Reply #984 on: 3 Aug 2012, 01:33 pm »
Cool bike!  Congrats on the purchase.

Nearly everyone in my group rides with a Powertap, including me.  It's great to know your wattage because it's the only true measure of how hard you are working.  You could be cruising at 28mph with a strong tailwind or going downhill at 40mph and barely working.  The watts don't lie!

If you don't like the data, just switch to a different screen on your meter (if you have a garmin) or turn it off if you use the Cycleops meter.  How hard is that?  You pay a minor weight penalty for the PT  but the new ones are pretty light.  I have friends who have PT Zipp 404's and other CF wheelsets.  It is a great tool for training and to guage how hard you are working.  You can use it to analyze your pedal stroke (if you pedal in circles you can generate more power with less effort, etc.).  I hate it but appreciate the functionality it provides. 

Good luck with the new ride!  I didn't know you were a 51cm.  My neighbor recently got divorced and was selling some bikes.  He's a dentist and has great taste in road bikes.  He had a really nice Lynskey 50 or 51 that he was selling very inexpensively with full Force.  I'm a 56 but wished I could have fit in his frame because it was beautiful.  He even sprung for polished Ti, which I'd never seen before in person.  It's stunning but an expensive option.  Cool looking on a road bike.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #985 on: 3 Aug 2012, 02:11 pm »
Regarding Power. . .I use an iBike Pro as my cycling computer.  It provides a power measurement based on forward movement.  Some argue that it's not accurate.  I'd argue that for the general population, it's accurate enough.

That being said, I don't typically pay attention to the readings as part of my training.  :duh:

jackman

« Reply #986 on: 3 Aug 2012, 02:28 pm »
Regarding Power. . .I use an iBike Pro as my cycling computer.  It provides a power measurement based on forward movement.  Some argue that it's not accurate.  I'd argue that for the general population, it's accurate enough.

That being said, I don't typically pay attention to the readings as part of my training.  :duh:

iBike is not accurate but if you don't use it, I guess accuracy doesn't matter.  I've been training indoors lately and am in no position to critique anyone's training.  The truth is, no casual rider really needs a PT or power meter.  It's fun to have and can be a great training tool but it's not necessary.  Of course, neither is a TDF level CF bike with Zipps, Di2, Look Blades, etc.  None of this stuff is necessary but it can make cycling more fun...

There is a guy in my group that I think of whenever we start talking gear.  He still has his ten or twelve year old Giant, aluminum road bike, mix and match groupset (including a MTB, XTR rear dr), triple crankset, and stock wheels.  He rides every hill ride in the area and kills it.  He's over 50 years old and routinely crushes younger guys every weekend on the bike, including me.  I've never heard him brag or talk about his time or speed.  I'm not sure he has a speedometer and know he does not have a Garmin.  His no-name tires are older than my bike, and his shoes are older than my son. 

Cheers,

J

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #987 on: 3 Aug 2012, 06:03 pm »
iBike is not accurate but if you don't use it, I guess accuracy doesn't matter.

I disagree, but that's okay.  Here's a link to an independent test that shows it is.  Of course, it favors the iBike, just as I'm sure the naysayers have information saying it's not accurate: 

http://ibikesports.com/how_iBike_works.html

jackman

« Reply #988 on: 3 Aug 2012, 09:13 pm »
From what understand, the iBike is only an approximation of power and does not provide instantaneous power response. I also believe it does not work on stationary trainers, during turns, while drafting and on rough roads.   They are inexpensive but I don't think it would be useful to me. 

Powertap are also not perfect. They are heavier than standard hubs, expensive, and not portable like an ibike. PT's are cheaper than crank based systems but crank based systems let you swap wheelsets and maintain power meter functionality. Crank based power meters aren't perfect either because they are difficult to swap between bikes, etc.

Either way, it's good to have options.  I hope pedal based ant+ systems are available soon.  That would be my preference.

AB

« Reply #989 on: 3 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm »
I've been training indoors lately and am in no position to critique anyone's training. 

Training indoors?

Have you looked at this?

http://www.trainerroad.com/

This is very cool and it works.

Levi

« Reply #990 on: 4 Aug 2012, 01:08 pm »
I received a phone call Friday that my bike was ready!  The Cervelo R5 vwd was everything that I expected it to be.  Alex of Bicycle Planet truly did a great work with my bike.  I highly recommend him for mission critical projects. 

Thanks for looking.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #991 on: 4 Aug 2012, 06:37 pm »
Very sweet ride Levi.

Just curious, did you consider the S5 at all?

George

Levi

« Reply #992 on: 4 Aug 2012, 09:18 pm »
Thanks George. I considered the S-series.  That is the S3 and S5 in particular but people in the know steered me away from them. They are stiff for my terrain. I leave that to the hardcore.  I like epic rides and hills.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2012, 10:24 pm by Levi »

JoshK

« Reply #993 on: 4 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm »
I learned the other day that Cervelo is a Canadian company originally from Toronto.   I thought they were Italian.

Levi

« Reply #994 on: 4 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm »
That is Correct Josh.  Cervelo is a Canadian company.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #995 on: 4 Aug 2012, 11:58 pm »
I learned the other day that Cervelo is a Canadian company originally from Toronto.   I thought they were Italian.

Here is a nice little write up on Cervelo by one of the bike stores in the Boston area:

http://www.fitwerx.com/product-reviews/bike-frame-manufacturer-profiles/cervelo-cycles

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #996 on: 4 Aug 2012, 11:58 pm »
Thanks George. I considered the S-series.  That is the S3 and S5 in particular but people in the know steered me away from them. They are stiff for my terrain. I leave that to the hardcore.  I like epic rides and hills.

Thanks Levi.

When I go back to test the S5 for a 30-60 min ride, I'll ask about the R series and maybe take it out for a spin as well.

George

LadyDog

« Reply #997 on: 5 Aug 2012, 12:36 am »
Looks great Levi.  Will be interested to get your thoughts in a month or so, as comparison with the old bike.

George, not sure you have had your fitting yet?  If so, any details?  Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #998 on: 5 Aug 2012, 12:40 am »
Looks great Levi.  Will be interested to get your thoughts in a month or so, as comparison with the old bike.

George, not sure you have had your fitting yet?  If so, any details?  Thanks.

See here Jeff:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107585.80

I'll try and give you a call tomorrow.

George

jackman

« Reply #999 on: 5 Aug 2012, 02:10 am »

Canadian company, bikes made in China.  They were recently bought out but the original owners are still on staff.  I looked at some Cervelos today but could not go for a ride because we had thunder storms in Chicago today.  The shop had several really nice S5's and some R5's. The S5 is interesting and I think it looks better in person than in pictures.  I also checked out a couple nice Specialized S-Works Tarmacs and a Venge.  Can't wait to actually ride these bikes!  One Specialized had the new Ultegra Di2. Pretty cool.

Cheers

J