:green:

^

:green:

anytime baby

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #941 on: 7 Jul 2012, 10:05 pm »
I'll gladly ride with anyone on AC. You won't catch me flapping my gums about how fast I am, regardless of the outcome. 

It's funny but I've never heard a fast guy boast about flying by a group of riders.  The fast guys I know (including my friend who is a time trial racer who raced in the Iron Man world championships last year) are the most modest.  You just might be a rare exception.

I will say one thing - and it's just a hunch because I have no idea how fast you can ride - I bet you are not capable of a sub-five hour century. Don't feel bad, I can't either these days. 

At least I'm not going to hassle you about not wearing a helmet. Guys like you should ONLY ride without a helmet.  Good luck.

I

+1

jackman

« Reply #942 on: 7 Jul 2012, 10:07 pm »
Not sure if you read my post or if you have comprehension issues. I already said I was slow and my miles are way down. If you take that as me challenging you, you are sadly mistaken. 

Maybe you need to wear a helmet because it appears you may have bumped your head. 

srb

« Reply #943 on: 7 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm »
I knew someone that behaved a lot like that in the local tennis scene.  No one will play with him anymore, and it has absolutely nothing to do whether he was better than them or not.

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #944 on: 7 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm »
 :lol:  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #945 on: 8 Jul 2012, 12:41 am »
Jackman, Steve...stop feeding the Troll.  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #946 on: 8 Jul 2012, 12:58 am »
Jackman, Steve...stop feeding the Troll.  :wink:

Levi,

Any comments on the Garmin 800?

George

Levi

« Reply #947 on: 8 Jul 2012, 01:56 am »
Garmin 800 works just like your car's nav with HR, Cadence and Powermeter monitoring capabilities. It requires a City map or topo 24k map as the included base map is useless.

I barely use the nav since I know my routes. I do like the large touch screen for monitoring my vitals. However, I think the screen is too small to see a big map for the ultimate in navigation. A 5" screen would be much better.

Check out dcrainmaker.com for comprehensive reviews on all the Garmin edge cycling computers.

Btw, I tried Retul fit and it is worth every penny.  I was able to ride faster and no pain after fine tuning the retul fit.  Building a good relationship with the fitter is the key.

I hope this helps.

Levi,

Any comments on the Garmin 800?

George

« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2012, 06:05 am by Levi »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #948 on: 8 Jul 2012, 02:28 am »
no helmet

Well, I will not say what I want to say but I will say this. 

Anytime you want to come to NC and meet a really really nice guy that's now a 24 yr old with serious head trama, I'll introduce you to him.  He was a thrid year Duke student who was "just going for a quick ride" around the block.  One ride, one fall on his head.  He wasn't supposed to live but he has a very very long recovery ahead of him.

It's no joke.  The brain surgeon told his parents if he had a helmet he would've been released the next day without any head trauma. 

Don't be stupid, wear a helmet!

tvad4

« Reply #949 on: 8 Jul 2012, 02:37 am »
I had a Retul fitting by a well regarded local cycling coach and fitter. He has strong credentials having worked with Chris Carmichael Training at one point. The Retul resulted in about a 2mm raising of my saddle, and a small adjustment on my right cleat position. Apparently, I had dialed in my own fitting pretty well, but yes small adjustments can make a significant difference on the bike.

About nine months after the Retul, the owner of my LBS, who was a champion cyclist in Europe, and later became a team mechanic, noticed my position on a ride and later adjusted my saddle position and recommended a longer stem. This took maybe twenty minutes.

The adjustments he applied made all the difference. More power. No pain.

In my experience, I'd say a fitter with a boat load of experience and a trained eye trumps the Retul (and costs less).

YMMV

On the Garmin discussion...I bought a Garmin 500 two months ago and used it for a week. For the two years prior to purchasing the Garmin 500, I have used a Rox 8.0. No GPS on the Rox.  The Rox 8.0 offers some specific data that I use to evaluate my rides that the Garmin did not provide as far as I could tell (after uploading the data to the Garmin web page...forgot what it's called). The Garmin is a slick device and the mapping feature is cool, and I'd say 90% of the local riders use one...but I returned mine in favor of the Rox 8.0.

Again, YMMV.

And on the helmet issue...I've had two pretty significant crashes in the past year and a half. Neither could have been anticipated. In one crash, a driver who was waiting to take a left turn decided to turn when my buddy and I were about 50 feet away. Nothing I could do to avoid hitting the small pick-up, and I t-boned into the bed of the truck. Broke my helmet. Had a minor concussion and no broken bones, but my bell was rung for a few days. Hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

The problem with cycling is you can never totally anticipate crashes. They happen when you least expect them, and they happen in an instant.

I once used to ride without a helmet when it got really hot here in Southern California. Not now.

Docere

« Reply #950 on: 8 Jul 2012, 03:45 am »
Hi all,

First post over here. Just about to take my single speed out for a couple of hilly, hopefully not too painful, hours.  Before I do, how about my short cycling history?.. Not sure why, but I feel like sharing.

I can understand what you guys were saying a few pages back regarding knees and whatnot. I rode / commuted fixed for about six months; occasional tough hills and weekly ~ 30 mile rides were fine. When I moved out to The Gap, a hilly part of Brisbane, I found my knees were often sore following a ride, I was enjoying my rides less and they tended to be shorter and almost too exhausting (for a regular ride); I could never quite get my rhythm.

So, I changed to single speed and found that I prefer being able to go down a hill more quickly than I sprint up it, being able to corners more ideally, and the generally more dynamic style of riding. Riding was fun, yet challenging. I rarely flip the wheel to fixed any more. I like that the single speed is a tough workout, fun and able to keep up with most packs on anything but flat open road – top speed is limited.

Recently I upgraded some components (I like the Omnium cranks!) and started clipping in. Even with what should be a decent fit – major knee issues. I ride hard (a sprinter type, I guess), in a hilly area, and always seem to try to do too much too soon… my body keeps breaking down. High gearing does not only make the ride tough in obvious ways, technique also suffers – applying full force early in the stroke… I need to show some restraint and learn some decent technique.

On Tuesday I have a three hour injury assessment and bike fit. I expect I will have to purchase some new components and will be referred for some technique coaching. I would not be surprised if it is recommended that I ride a geared bike most days and keep the single speed for the occasional tough workout, rather than for a fast daily commute. Costly, but it might just keep me riding until old age (I am currently 41 yo).

Cheers,
Raymond

Rclark

« Reply #951 on: 8 Jul 2012, 07:19 am »
Just rode the same 40 mile route in the dark. It was all kinds of awesome. And I wore my helmet, without a moon those turns can sure come up fast.

Sorry for the hubbub gentlemen  :wink: (and ladies), please carry on.

Docere

« Reply #952 on: 8 Jul 2012, 07:37 am »
Ah, that feels nice. About 25 miles, maybe a few more, on the single speed. A few hills, some rather steep and sprint-worthy (even though I told myslf no sprinting! :duh:) short hills, some fast parts, some slow, and some long (for me) climbs at the end. I can always count on some curious looks from the road crowd when toddling around the foot hills of Mt. Coot-tha.

Knee hurt, but that was expected; not too bad now though. Good honest fun and exercise. Now, where's the cold pack?

LadyDog

« Reply #953 on: 8 Jul 2012, 01:45 pm »
Welcome Raymond.  Also took my single speed out for a quick jaunt this am.  Something to be said about the simplicity of a single speed or fixed bike.

Weather was nice, finally a day where it is not 100+ degrees.

jackman

« Reply #954 on: 8 Jul 2012, 04:08 pm »
Hi Tvad - just wondering, what does the Rox do that the Garmin doesnt?  The latest Garmin firmware offers several power meter data fields, and it already has all of the basic functions most people need (cadence, avg mph, max mph, altitude, feet of climbing, wattage, max and avg watts, temperature, HR, etc.). It also has a compas and Gps tracking ability.   I really like the simplicity of the 500 and the compact size.  It doesn't give directions but it's ant+ compatible and links up perfectly with my Powertap.   You can also download all of the PT data to sites like Golden Cheetah if you want additional analytical capability.

What data does the Rox give you that the Garmin dies not?  I'll do a search but was hoping to get your feedback.

Raymond - welcome to AC!  Good luck with your riding. Single speed bikes put more pressure on your knees especially on hills.  Grinding a big gear is great for building muscle but it's good to have the ability to spin up hills in a lower gear. 

Here is a review of the Garmin, Rox and Cateye computers. Garmin has upgraded the software since the review but it gives a good overview of each computer.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=70862

tvad4

« Reply #955 on: 8 Jul 2012, 06:21 pm »
Jackman, the Rox calculates average climb speed (for the total ride) for one thing. I use this stat frequently.

Docere

« Reply #956 on: 8 Jul 2012, 09:20 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I had not ridden for about 20 years when I decided to get my single speed; I wanted something simple. And still do. No gears, no schedules, no computers... just (usually) challenging rides.

However, as Jackman says, tough on on the knees, especially if the fit and technique are not sorted (like mine!). And it is all hills around here, good for interval style training but not great for distance and base fitness. I'd also like the focus and challenge of training towards a goal... The time is approaching when I will purcahse geared bike.

I would like a custom build steel framed bike, but a carbon bike might be kinder to my body? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Raymond

jackman

« Reply #957 on: 9 Jul 2012, 01:42 am »
There are so many good choices in carbon fiber, steel including stainless, and titanium.  It's hard to pick one.  Ask ten people and you'll probably get ten different answers.   Custom is cool if you have a funky build (long legs, short torso, etc.) but you might not need custom.  Plus you can't demo a custom bike before buying.

That said, custom could be a great option.  There is a high degree of trust involved in a custom build between the rider and the builder.   I don't know where you live but when you are ready for a custom build, I'd suggest that you interview several custom builders to see which one feels right to you.  You might want to include some highly trusted builders like Waterford, lynskey and Hampsten.  There are so many excellent small builders these days and so many great steel and ti frame choices.  I know a few guys with custom bikes and they love their rides.  It's not cheap bu neither is a top shelf carbon frame.

Don't be afraid of carbon's durability. It can be repaired and it's less expensive than you think. There are even some carbon fiber custom builders but not as many as steel.  Check out bikeforums.com.  It's a decent place to start your search. 

I'd like to get a custom lugged steel or titanium bike someday with Campy Recors 11 speed.  Of course, I'd like to get a pro level carbon fiber frame someday as well, with Zipp 404's and Di2!  I just need to find an extra 20 grand to blow on bikes.   

Cheers

Jack

Don_S

« Reply #958 on: 9 Jul 2012, 03:29 pm »
Raymond,

Be aware that carbon fiber does not necessarily = comfort. Not only are there different fiber compositions but the bike builder has a lot of flexibility in how the fibers are oriented and how many layers are applied. Between that and bike geometry there is a lot of room for variation.  Some bikes may be built for comfort and others may be designed for maximum rigidity. Still others may be designed in between and offer a comfortable ride with good performance for the average rider.

The nastiest bike I ever rode was a Trek OCLV.  It was a demo ride.  Real butt pounder. That was back in 1995 and not meant to reflect on any current design. I was also riding the smallest frame size which increased rigidity. I don't remember any of the other bikes I tested but I remember that one. I could not wait to get it back into the shop. It did corner great but that was the only nice thing I could say about it.

Things to consider are your physical stats--weight, size, physical condition.  Then there is your riding style (hammer, cruise) and typical route (steep climbs?).

Much of what is in advertisements and bike mags is aimed at the ultimate performance athlete (competitor) and not necessarily the best choice for more casual (but still serious) riders. If you are just getting back into the game where does that put you in terms of actual need and what will serve you best?

Carbon fiber bikes have come a long way since 1995 and there are a lot more models to choose from. Back then I chose a Merlin Road (titanium--Road is the actual model name) and have never regretted it. They also offered another model that was much stiffer (at least in my frame size). I think it was called the Extra Light. It had double-butted tubing but the tubing was larger in diameter than the straight-gauge Road model.  My point being that two bikes built of the same elemental material (titanium) and offered by the same manufacturer had different ride characteristics. They were not = and the same applies to CF.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Docere

« Reply #959 on: 9 Jul 2012, 09:05 pm »
Jackman, Don - thank you both for the advice. I will keep it in mind when shopping round, for sure.. Very helpful advice regarding my needs, frame materials and custom builders. I so very much appreciate it.

The guy doing the fit for me today is Ben Ward at Cycle Dynamics. He offers a range of fit services, including one for custom frames. I am interested in how today turns out: I will not be his usual competitive cyclist... no knicks, just daggy shorts, a t-shirt, busted knees and sciatica. Certainly NOT the ultimate performance athlete.

My single speed is indeed a butt-pounding, essentially track geometry: compact, twitchy, a challenge down steep hills, scary tow-overlap... but corners well and I can really feel to power go down. I might be killing my knees though... I would be looking for something more relaxed, smooth... perhaps one of those more "in between" frames. I will have a chat with Ben today and begin contacting some frame builders.

Thanks again guys.

Raymond.