Bicycling On-the-Road

Don_S

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #860 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:10 pm »
I ride with a mirror like this.  It fastens to my riding/sport eyeglasses.  Surprisingly durable.  I can rotate my head a little and change the view.

One brand:

Has anyone tried a mirror that attaches to your helmet?  I've had basically every bike-attached mirror, and they either wiggle free over bumps (so that they're unusable) or I hit them while my bike is on the rack and ruin them.  I'm thinking maybe a helmet mirror may actually work.

jackman

« Reply #861 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:13 pm »
Helmet mirrors can work but I don't like the look.  A friend of mine uses the mirrors that attach to the holes at the bottom of your handlebars.  They are pretty cool and work well enough to spot cars or other riders, but you have to look down to be able to use them. 

Even though helmet mirrors are ultra-geeky looking, it's a small price to pay for safety.  Let us know what works out for you and maybe someone will benefit from your experience.

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #862 on: 19 Apr 2012, 07:17 pm »
I won't be much of a help since I don't use mirrors.  I simply look back. 

LadyDog

« Reply #863 on: 11 May 2012, 02:55 am »
Anyone need some top-level wheels?  Have some I need to clear out.  PM me.

1 clincher - Campy, White Industries hubs, IRD rims, 28h

1 tubular - Shimano, Edge/Enve 1.38 rims, King hubs(mango), 28h

JoshK

« Reply #864 on: 11 May 2012, 03:27 am »
I need to find the ride here...  d/t GTA is not exactly road bike friendly...its bike friendly but I have a steel frame single speed for that. 

LadyDog

« Reply #865 on: 11 May 2012, 04:31 am »
Good time to buy Josh.  Just like the stereo and house industry.  Have a few contacts, so let me know what you may be looking for and I'll see if I can assist.

jackman

« Reply #866 on: 11 May 2012, 02:52 pm »
I need to find the ride here...  d/t GTA is not exactly road bike friendly...its bike friendly but I have a steel frame single speed for that.

Josh, are you going to be a hipster on a fixie?    :scratch:

Just kidding, I am glad to hear that you are still riding.  I'm looking for a Xcross bike and will post pictures on this thread if I pull the trigger.  Several guys in my group are riding xross bikes and I'd like to get something soon.  I'm too old, fat and my knees are not up for a single speed! 

Cheers,

J

LadyDog

« Reply #867 on: 12 May 2012, 02:57 am »
Hey Jack,
Drop me a line if you decide to pursue cross.  Might be able to assist.

Rclark

« Reply #868 on: 16 May 2012, 08:28 pm »
Got my bike back three days ago and have been starting small, three days of thirty milers.

I live at the very tail end of the Sammamish River Trail which then becomes the Burke Gillman Trail here in Washington. Basically it's a 30 mile bike trail through a lush river valley, which then arcs up around the tip of Lake Washington, down through UW district, Gasworks Park, Seattle, eventually Golden Gardens beach. Pretty soon I'll be riding it round trip a couple times a week, again.

Nothing quite like no stoplights or cars, just other cyclists, for endless miles. Love it here.

Matter of fact, I'm about to put another 20 miles in today. Gonna be a while before I'm in shape enough to blast the whole thing.

Rclark

« Reply #869 on: 23 May 2012, 08:24 pm »
 Just finished kitting out my bike for commuting/touring via the REI sale going on now. Got lights, reflectors, mud flaps, luggage rack, luggage... my bike has never had it so good.

The big score was the mudflaps. I never see anyone with these and they are so amazing on a rainy day. As long as you wear a good jacket, your shoes and pants, face, backside, all stay dry and free of spatter. No more blinding flecks of road grime for this guy. Helps protect the chain from grime too.

Levi

« Reply #870 on: 23 May 2012, 08:39 pm »
That's good to know.

Rclark

« Reply #871 on: 23 May 2012, 08:52 pm »

Bout to go for a test cruise. It's nice and soggy today.

Levi

« Reply #872 on: 23 May 2012, 09:10 pm »
Where do you live? UK or somewhere in Europe?

Rclark

« Reply #873 on: 23 May 2012, 10:14 pm »
Redmond Wa. Byciclist heaven. Ahh just made it to the record shop.  :thumb: I got a list.

mick wolfe

« Reply #874 on: 28 May 2012, 05:37 pm »
I ride with a mirror like this.  It fastens to my riding/sport eyeglasses.  Surprisingly durable.  I can rotate my head a little and change the view.

One brand:

I've used the "Take-A-Look" for years.  I'm basically blind in my left eye so it's out of necessity, geek factor be damned. It's mounted on the right side of my Bolle's. Yes, it can be adjusted to see just fine mounted on the non road side of your glasses. Got the little "Take-A-Look" tip from a very serious female road cyclist years ago who also had blindness in her left eye.

bunnyma357

« Reply #875 on: 28 May 2012, 11:40 pm »
Just finished kitting out my bike for commuting/touring via the REI sale going on now. Got lights, reflectors, mud flaps, luggage rack, luggage... my bike has never had it so good.

The big score was the mudflaps. I never see anyone with these and they are so amazing on a rainy day. As long as you wear a good jacket, your shoes and pants, face, backside, all stay dry and free of spatter. No more blinding flecks of road grime for this guy. Helps protect the chain from grime too.

I'm a big mud flap/fender fan - they also make it nicer to ride with others in the wet.  I'm a retro kind of guy, so I went with leather/metal combo.

Jim C

Æ

« Reply #876 on: 29 May 2012, 12:59 am »
I'm a big mud flap/fender fan - they also make it nicer to ride with others in the wet.  I'm a retro kind of guy, so I went with leather/metal combo.
Jim C

Looking at your pic, I can't help but wonder (serious doubts) if your ride is set up "properly." I can see your saddle is nose high, tilted back too much, which is usually considered to be a no-no. Must be doing wonders for your prostate, unless you don't have a prostate. Of course you'll likely reply that you like it that way. Compared to you handlebars, your saddle also looks like it's way too low, either that or your frame isn't the ideal size. Maybe one day you'll stop in at your local bike shop and have them look at your riding ergonomics, your positioning in the cockpit, always good to get a professional opinion.

jackman

« Reply #877 on: 29 May 2012, 01:24 am »
Lots lot people with Brooks saddles use them slightly pitched up. Those saddles have a cult following.  I'm not sure about the fit but it looks like its set up for touring. My bars are lower than my saddle but I could use a bit more flexibility.  I have not spent much time in he drops this time of year.

It's too hot in Chicago this week and I've been riding indoors. Torture but it's better than no riding at all.  My motivation is slowly coming back. Sick of being fat and slow.

bunnyma357

« Reply #878 on: 29 May 2012, 02:49 am »
Looking at your pic, I can't help but wonder (serious doubts) if your ride is set up "properly." I can see your saddle is nose high, tilted back too much, which is usually considered to be a no-no. Must be doing wonders for your prostate, unless you don't have a prostate. Of course you'll likely reply that you like it that way. Compared to you handlebars, your saddle also looks like it's way too low, either that or your frame isn't the ideal size. Maybe one day you'll stop in at your local bike shop and have them look at your riding ergonomics, your positioning in the cockpit, always good to get a professional opinion.

As jackman noted, it is set up for touring/commuting/randoneuring - the camera angle makes the seat looks a little more nose up than it is, but many believe the proper fit is with the nose of the saddle up.  Current fit by pros tends to focus on performance and racing, rather than comfort - so, in the past the "pros" have created a horrible fit when I initially used them. I prefer to do my own research and pick what works for me - much like I do with audio.

After a short break-in period the leather saddle forms to the rider and there are no pressure points - modern saddles and fitting techniques all caused me substantial numbness and pain.

The fit of the bike is based on a lot of research and trial and error and adjustment -  in general for my riding style the fitting philosophy prior to the mid 1980's is far superior to most of the current "pro" fitting methods. Of course, if I were a racer my opinion would probably differ greatly.

Here's a few links to the general philosophy, although I don't agree with everything - but between this and Sheldon Brown's site there is a lot of great info for "alternative" or as I see it"classic" fitting:

http://www.rivbike.com/Articles.asp?ID=247

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Jim C

Æ

« Reply #879 on: 29 May 2012, 04:44 am »
Current fit by pros tends to focus on performance and racing, rather than comfort -
Jim C

Ergonomics is about more than just efficiency. Avoiding strain and repetitive stress injuries is even more important, especially at our age.
Brooks saddles are wonderful, I'd like one on titanium rails, maybe one day. I currently ride on a Terry men's Fly Ti (ergonomic), more comfortable than any other saddle I've ever ridden with no numbness or dumbness.